• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mexi-corn

phlawless

so I've had this countless times, but have never made it myself...is this how you do it?:

soak unshucked corn 10 minutes

grill over medium heat for 15

peel back husks and coat cob with mayo/chile blend

sprinkle with queso anejo or cotija

re'wrap' cobs and grill for another 5-8 minutes.

I want to make this for dinner tonight, so if anyone is an expert, I'd love to know soon!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I grew up next to the border and when I go home I try and go to a raspa stand for a fresh fruit snow cone and un elote con todo.

The way they do it is to grill or boil the corn, then smear it with butter, mayonnaise (yes, mayo), sprinkle it with chile powder or cayenne, top it with crumbled queso fresco (parm is good too), and squeeze on some lime. For those lazy among us, they will also add all of the above ingredients to a bowl of corn cut from the cob.

The corn they use is not the super sweet version we get in the grocery store but a kind of field corn that has a great chewy texture and pure corn flavor.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but my Mexican friends taught me to boil the corn. Using a pastry brush, coat the ears with mayonnaise, then roll in freshly grated cotija cheese. Sprinkle with hot sauce and a squeeze of lime. Devour.

Lately I've been mixing the mayonnaise and hot sauce together; gives a more even distribution of hot sauce.

great!

I'm grill roasting a chicken as I write and I thought I'd forego heating up the kitchen.

Thanks to all!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

The thought of mayo on a fresh sweet cob of corn scares me...

Lately I've been cutting the corn off the cob and caramalizing it with roasted garlic, caramalized onions, herb butter, little lime juice at the end, and parsley, thyme, and a little taragon.

Kind of mexican I guess...When I am cooking for the spicey lovers Ill throw in some roasted peppers for some heat...works nice with the sweetness.

Edited by sadistick (log)

I don't really use mayo much, but it is great on grilled corn. I have a fond memory of returning to my friend's ranch after hunting when we were kids and stopping to pick some corn. We threw them in the coals, pulled them out when the kernels were just caramelized, smeared them with mayo, cheese, and salt, and went to town.

Corn is also fabulous when deep fried. Seriously. Shuck the ear and drop it in the fryer. The kernels shrink, get nice and brown and sweet.

I met someone once who told me that their family used to fill their dishwasher with ears of corn and run the wash (without soap). The hot water and steam would cook a full dishwasher of corn to perfection and the whole family would have a summer corn feast with tons of sweet butter and salt. Anybody ever done this?

I met someone once who told me that their family used to fill their dishwasher with ears of corn and run the wash (without soap).  The hot water and steam would cook a full dishwasher of corn to perfection and the whole family would have a summer corn feast with tons of sweet butter and salt.  Anybody ever done this?

Sounds like an urban legend to me. The quick wash cycle on my dishwasher is 38 minutes, and the others much longer. I wouldn't want to eat corn cooked that long.

Though I know the mayo is traditional, this sounds awfully rich. But I think I'll try the butter, lime, and chili powder version, that sounds tasty.