• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie bookstore

Dr Vino

I'm just curious what are the best bookstores for foodies in NYC? I'm actually looking for a copy of the Art of Eating but it occurred to me that the more general question it might be better. Cheers.

I like Kitchen Arts and Letters, which is on the UES (Lex between 93rd and 94th).

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 5 months later...

On a recent rainy day we were on a used food/cocktail book expedition, and Strand pointed us to Joanne Hendricks Cookbooks on Greenwich St., 212.226.5731. Joanne is enthusiastic and had some very interesting books . . . what a find! As mentioned previously, Bonnie Slotnick also has an excellent collection and is extremely helpful.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Love that they finally have a website.

Of course, I need about 1k to satisfy the current urges, bookwise. :sad:

...a website that on the front page features "new fall titles 2004." what a great shop but going in there it feels like it's still 1977 (apart from all the current books, of course).

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

what a great shop but going in there it feels like it's still 1977

If I had my druthers I'd only go to places where going in there feels like it's still 1977.

Postscript for my fellow elderly: "No Beatles no Elvis no Rolling Stones . . . ."

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks at 163 wesr 10th Street is another source for cookbooks.

Interestingly, she made the Saveur 100. Go Bonnie! :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point