• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recs near The Meadowlands!

JohnL

Football season is coming (pre season is here)!

As a long time Jets season ticket holder (please no funny comments--

being a lapsed Catholic I have a need to "suffer" on Sundays)

I and my friend often dine in the area of Giant's Stadium/Meadowlands whenever there is

a late game on Sunday's or Monday nights.

Our current favorite is Mignon in Rutherford.

Also like to BYOB.

Are there any recommendations?:

qualifications are-- open Sunday and/or Monday Nights and within

five to ten miles of the stadium--prefer something on the way back to Manhattan--that is near either bridge or tunnel .

A few miles west of the stadium is ok too.

thanks!!!

If you like Italian, try Sorrento's.

The location and phone #:

132 Park Ave., Rutherford (201) 507-0043

I've had consistantly tasty food here, and they are a 5-10 minute ride from the stadium.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Trust me--just go to Hoboken, park in the big lot between 14th and 15th at Washington, and go to The Jefferson.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you want Portuguese food without the hassle of driving to and parking in Ironbound just follow Ridge Rd south out of Rutherford. When it crosses Rte 3 go another 5 - 7 block. Just past the intersection of New York Avenue across formt he cemetery is Terro's Snack bar (it's realluya full service restaurant - there's a weird legal snafu related to parking that required them to call it a snack bar). Food is moderately priced, typical huge portions that you find in Portuguese joints and quality is pretty good. It is not BYOB - they have a full bar.

The other place you could try (on Sundays--they're closed Mondays) is Indian Chef in Lodi...it's right up Rt 17 and you could just keep going to Rt 4 and take the GWB back to NYC if you don't want to backtrack the few miles to Rt. 3.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Taos is nearby on Paterson Ave in East Rutherford, Cafe Capri and the Fiesta Hut on Park. Then there are the others: Village Gourmet, Tina Louise, Martini Grill, Steve & Andreas, Cafe Matisse (BYO) all within a coupla miles to the stadium.

Zeman

The Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley has one of the best burgers in northern jersey and OK steaks.  very lively.  not byob.

China 46 on route 46 on the way back to the bridge.  byob.

At Franklin Steakhouse, you'd also be able to see every other football game being played on the abundant TV screens.