• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

September Reservations in Paris

docsconz

I have hit an unexpected snag in my quest for fine dining in Paris. Many of the restaurants I am interested in are currently closed and therefore unavailable for taking reservations. What is the best way now to assure reservations for early Sept.?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have hit an unexpected snag in my quest for fine dining in Paris. Many of the restaurants I am interested in are currently closed and therefore unavailable for taking reservations. What is the best way now to assure reservations for early Sept.?

Oops! While it is true that Paris no longer closes down for the month of August, many restaurants are closed for vacation during this month, especially the fine dining establishments not located in hotels.

Do you have the new 2005 Paris Michelin Guide Rouge? It lists the closing dates for restaurants, as well as their facsimile numbers and e-mail addresses in addition to their telephone numbers, although I doubt that you will get a response via any avenue if a restaurant is truly closed.

Do you have a relationship with your hotel Concierge? I have found that the best way to make reservations for dining in Paris is by communicating my requests to the hotel Concierge via e-mail. The Concierge then contacts the restaurant at the appropriate time for reservations (some restaurants, such as Pierre Gagnaire, take reservations only within a narrow window, such as between certain hours exactly one month in advance). E-mail is certainly the fastest and the cheapest way to communicate. The Concierge may be able to best advise you on how to proceed over this hump. The worst case is that you just may have to wait until la rentree in late August-early September when the restaurants reopen for business and begin again taking reservations.

Bonne chance!

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Doc - From your previous list of:

Aux Lyonnais, Chez Michel, Chez Denise, L'Astrance, Au Bon Accueil,  Pierre Gagnaire, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, L'As du Falafel, Ze Kitchen Gallerie, Mon Vieil Ami, L'Entredgeu, Le Comptoir, Dominique Bouchet.

I suspect you really only need to call L'Astrance, Pierre Gagnaire, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Le Comptoir and Dominique Bouchet ahead of time (? from Barcelona the week before). The others should be bookable the day you hit Paris. Experience tells me that during the first two weeks of the re-entree, restaurants are really not packed solid.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thank you for the responses. They are indeed helpful. I have emailed Pierre Gagnaire. L'Astrance may be the biggest problem. The good news is that I have enough to choose from that I think I should be ok even if I get shut out of a couple:wink:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc,

I am going to Paris the last week of August and my friend that lives in Paris told me that she does not make reservations during that time of the year. I made one at Gagnaire and I will speak to her about some other places and get back to you. I am looking at La Regalade, Aux lyonnais, Au bon Accueil, Le Comptoir, Chez Denise, Chez Georges, Auguste, L'Ami Louis, Michel Rostang, Brassere Lipp, L'Angle Du Faubourg, La Vieux, L'Astrance, Atelier Maitre Albert, pinxo, ze kitchen galarie, Jamin, Le Meurice, Le Repaire De Cartouche, Cafe Constant to name a few. I also will be making it to El Bulli after Paris.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 2 weeks later...
Doc,

I am going to Paris the last week of August and my friend that lives in Paris told me that she does not make reservations during that time of the year. I made one at Gagnaire and I will speak to her about some other places and get back to you. I am looking at La Regalade, Aux lyonnais, Au bon Accueil, Le Comptoir, Chez Denise, Chez Georges, Auguste, L'Ami Louis, Michel Rostang, Brassere Lipp, L'Angle Du Faubourg, La Vieux, L'Astrance, Atelier Maitre Albert, pinxo, ze kitchen galarie, Jamin, Le Meurice, Le Repaire De Cartouche, Cafe Constant to name a few. I also will be making it to El Bulli after Paris.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Molto E,

It appears we have reverse itineraries. Enjoy!

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc,

We hit the ground running, the adventure starts Monday with L'Ami Louis. I hope my pants still fit when we end in England with the Fatduck and Raymond Blanc. I am very excited, I hope you and yours have a great time, I will be updating with pictures as we go. I am told Gagnaire does not allow photos-is that so?

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Doc,

We hit the ground running, the adventure starts Monday with L'Ami Louis. I hope my pants still fit when we end in England with the Fatduck and Raymond Blanc. I am very excited, I hope you and yours have a great time, I will be updating with pictures as we go. I am told Gagnaire does not allow photos-is that so?

Good Eating,

Molto E

Sounds great! Bummer about Gagnaire and photos if that is true. That may explain the dearth of them on this site. It sounds like you have quite the itinerary though. Gagnaire, El Bulli and The Fat Duck in the same itinerary - wow! I guess our itineraries are not exactly mirror images after all :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz