• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Laidback Manor - pre opening

greensNbeans

dates are slated for the opening :

December 15 - invite (party)

December 16 - invite

December 17 - rock n roll! (open to the public)

I have been watching--congratulations!! We'll try to see you after Xmas. Happy Holidays.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I'm definitely coming to the opening. Can you PM me contact info and address? Will you be serving both the skate and the duck tongues?

Skate may not make it to the opening - the opening party is only passed canapes as follows:

opening party canapés

yukon gold potato risotto

caramelized garlic ~ parmesan cheese froth

65˚ quail egg

american sturgeon caviar

petite monte cristo

purple mustard

chocolate ~ foie gras “milk shake”

vanilla infusion

pickled cherry tomato

black olive paper

Dr. Pepper braised pork “ribs”

smoked potato puree

spiced pumpkin soup

marshmallow brulee ~ lemon confit ~ steamed milk

salmon tartare

wasabi with texture ~ yuzu sabayon, ~ pink salt

bay scallop

preserved mushrooms ~ “new england clam chowder” froth

florida grapefruit confit

basil ~ lemon

humboldt fog

caramel powder ~ beet reduction ~ fried bread

almond buerre noisette cake

banana ~ fried sage oil ~ almond milk

and we will be doing a LN2 item as well in the dining room for everyone to enjoy

Good luck on the opening.  I work in Chase Tower and am excited to have another great and interesting option within walking distance -  pics look good -

you should stop by and check out the progress! ... oh yeah, we wont have our final inspection unitl Friday so that pushes the date back to the first of next week. We have our chins up, though, we want to be ready!

Edited by greensNbeans (log)

I am sure this has been a harrowing, stressful experience, but you are almost there. Based on everything I have observed about starting a restuarant, opening only six weeks behind schedule is a tremendous achievement. Good luck with the inspection. Look forward to trying out your new place.

Lindsey

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

well, it is too close to christmas to open - but we have passed all mechanical inspection and have our fire/health inspection scheduled for Thursday. I would like to post pics but Im not sure how to so if there are any volunteers that would like to do it, it would great.

• 2 weeks later...

ladies and gentlemen : we had our first service tonight and I am very happy to say that it was a success! The fact that the front of house and back of house both worked so well together, and had never worked together before makes me very happy indeed! Also, I have to say what a complete culinarian that chef Justin Yu is and what and asset to our team he is ~ you all may know him as tetsujustin on egullet but we call him "the man" - thanks Justin, you really impressed me tonight and deserve some attention! Cheers and look for pics soon!

Randy

Day 2 at the manor was better than the first. We served 42 guest this evening and it was stunning! The kitchen staff here at the manor is a "force to be recond with" and I could not be prouder! We await NYE with eager anticipation and would love to see a few of you! Cheers and good night - have a wonderfull new years!

Randy

gallery_19608_2327_578452.jpg

Sous chefs Seth Gardner and Shaun Duffy prepping for a pre-opening party

gallery_19608_2327_698151.jpg

Chef Seth and myself on the garde manger side of the line

gallery_19608_2327_442320.jpg

Chef Shaun (and our circulator in the background)

gallery_19608_2327_491757.jpg

Francisco, Chef Shaun, Jack, and myself on the first soft opening night.

gallery_19608_2327_425855.jpg

The left banquettes plus the bar seating in the back of the picture in the dining room

gallery_19608_2327_124552.jpg

our soft opening dessert-- donuts with spiced honey, parsnip-coconut ice cream, and almond milk

gallery_19608_2327_358600.jpg

Executive Chef/Owner Randy Rucker at work

gallery_19608_2327_419020.jpg

The hot line with Chefs Shaun and Seth

gallery_19608_2327_310049.jpg

A lineup of entrees (left to right): cinnamon laced venison, confit of shallot, root vegetable coulis, Dr. Pepper braised "Ribs", Texas toast, smoked potato salad, and Wild Atlantic Salmon, white bean gnocchi, tomato confit, and garlic soup

More pictures to come whenever I can get them uploaded.

CLICKETY!

Now that is a picture of Bambi to remember!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for sharing the pics. I am looking forward to visiting LBM sometime soon. The Chronicle's article mentions the sorbet using liquid Nitrogen. Very similar to my wonderful dinner's final dessert at El Bulli this past May. That one was made with guanabana -soursop- cream and topped with coffee "caviar". I can still taste the amazing medley of flavors, textures and temperatures months later :smile:. I would love to try your version Randy!

Also any news on the website? Will it be up soon? And please share more pics of the food if/when possible.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks for sharing the pics. I am looking forward to visiting LBM sometime soon. The Chronicle's article mentions the sorbet using liquid Nitrogen. Very similar to my wonderful dinner's final dessert at El Bulli this past May. That one was made with guanabana -soursop- cream and topped with coffee "caviar". I can still taste the amazing medley of flavors, textures and temperatures months later :smile:. I would love to try your version Randy!

Also any news on the website? Will it be up soon? And please share more pics of the food if/when possible.

it is not finished ,but : laidbackmanor.net

Edited by tetsujustin (log)