• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One-off service

jsolomon

I had an experience this morning that just about threw me off of my feed.

I went to my local cafe to get some coffee as I'm out of grounds at home. When I got there, at about 7:05 a.m., they did not have coffee made. No problem. I will just order an Americano and be on my merry way.

So, the barrista goes and fiddles with the pods (I knew I was in trouble here) and then could not get the grouphead to attach to the outlet. Barrista then says, "!@#$$^@#%$! We got a new espresso machine and I don't know how to use it!"

??? Who gets a new espresso maker without showing their employees how to use it (either that, or said employee was on brain-break).

Here's the rub, they make a durn good cup of coffee, even if it is sometimes in a dirty cup.

I just needed to vent.

Oh, they did end up giving me a large brewed gratis for my time and patience. But, as a former barrista, I am professionally offended.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

All is now right with the world. My dear girlfriend went to The Coffee Roaster yesterday and got me beans.

:wub:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Even if you weren't a former barista that's just inexcusable and truly unacceptable. If it were me I'd be looking for a different cafe if such were available.

And I just returned from a three day stay in Mukilteo WA where I was shocked to find very acceptable drip coffee being served in the hotel lobby every morning. It was Boyd's #6 French Roast (I have no idea for certain but think Boyd's may be a west coast chain). It was actually good enough that I didn't feel compelled to go elsewhere searching for my morning cup.