• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for group lunch in NW D.C.?

tcpanda

I'm planning a lunch for work friends... any suggestions for good restaurants in Northwest (our office is nearby the MCI Center) that can nicely handle a group of about 12? Ideally, the average cost of lunch would be about $15 (drinks not included).

All I can think of is Gordon Biersch, which has been done many times. Any thoughts?

La Tasca (on 7th st) has a set menu lunch, $9.95 for a choice of 3 tapas. We went there for restaurant week (when they had all-you-can-eat) and had a wonderful meal.

La Tasca

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

La Tasca (on 7th st) has a set menu lunch, $9.95 for a choice of 3 tapas.  We went there for restaurant week (when they had all-you-can-eat) and had a wonderful meal.

La Tasca

For tapas, I would steer clear of La Tasca in favor of Jaleo. The former can't hold a candle to the latter. You should be able to do <$15/person at Jaleo for lunch.

You might be able to swing lunch for $15/person at Zaytinya too, if you order carefully...depends on how much you eat at lunchtime. They can definitely accommodate 12 people and they're very close to the MCI center.

You could also try for Matchbox, but given the configuration of their space I'd call before showing up--I'm not 100% certain they can accommodate a party of 12. The pizzas are pretty good and the miniburgers are rightfully legendary.

There are plenty of pricier options in your neighborhood--your options expand dramatically if you are willing to go to $20 or $25/person. And there are also plenty of cheaper places that just aren't set up for a party of 12--you're not all that far from sandwich meccas like BreadLine or even CF Folks, but good luck getting a table for two at either, much less reserving a table for 12.

Don't overlook Chinatown. A bunch of us ate at Full Kee some time ago, and it's definitelty worth a stop--plus if you call in advance they should be able to hold a big round table for you.

i was thinking about Jaleo & La Tasca, but i wasn't sure if we could keep the costs down (especially if you get a lot of the seafood tapas)... but you guys give me hope. i sure wish we could swing it at Matchbox, but i know they don't accept reservations & there's no way we'd all get in at noon.

hmm... Full Kee is one of my favorites... I'd never considered it for a large group, though. I always think of Tony Cheng's as the Chinese restaurant that can accomodate large numbers.

thanks for all the tips! feel free to keep them coming... :smile:

I second Zaytinya and Matchbox (as well as the rec to avoid La Tasca. Eek, the TGIFridays of faux tapas!). Zaytinya is very nice for groups. Lots of mezze make for good sharing.

I wasn't impressed by Tony Cheng's.

Andale typically isn't crowded, for some odd reason. It's good, but is faced with stiff competition in the area.

I'm sure I'm too late with this post. Kanlaya should be able to do 12 and is well within the price range. McCormick & Schmick's can handle it, and is probably close to the edge of the price range.