• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

table 8

pnapoli

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Marika left quite some time ago. I heard she was at Diva.  Michael Clampffer is the Executive Chef.

Dined at Table 8 with friends last night, at last. From the moment I stepped in the door I loved the place. Dmetris has created a truly wonderful restaurant.

The restaurant design, graphics, tables and chairs, wine glasses and place settings are all perfect in my opinion. The use of color in lighting and decor is warm and inviting.

Staff is attentive, accommodating and hip. Although from what I hear strained on some busy nights.

We sat a “Table 8” which is in the front of the restaurant and accommodates 8 people, we were just 4 so it was very comfortable and provides a nice vista of the restaurant.

To start we enjoyed the passion fruit salad, dates wrapped in bacon, a sushi tuna napoleon, and oysters for appetizers. Actually I thought the oysters were just fair, the dates in bacon however are truly sublime.

The special pork chop with a light sweet glaze, served with pureed potatoes and garlic spinach was excellent. The Atlantic salmon in a tropical preparation was just right; the sliced duck was also very good. The very best dish we all agreed was a delicious hand made potato gnocchi with lamb, swiss chard and tomatoes.

Did not stay for dessert because we were off to a show at Montclair State.

On the downside, it does get very crowded and noisy. We were dining early so it was not so bad, but later I hear it gets intense. Reservations are a must by the way.

We also tasted some good wines.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I had a fantastic dinner tonight at Table 8. Dmetris is a gracious and asolutely amazing host. He came by several times to check on us, and this was our first visit. He didn't need to be nearly as good as he was, as the food was sensational!

My wife and I shared the mussels appetizer, with crushed tomato, chorizo and garlic. I was happy I saved some bread for dippping, as the broth was delicious as well.

For main--my order, and my favorite of the evening--the braised short ribs. They were fall apart tender, and served with a full flavored red wine reduction.

The pasta special was a hand rolled penne, with shrimp, and a sundried tomato cream sauce. The sauce was surprisingly light, and I happen to be a huge fan of sundried tomatoes, so this dish was a winner for me.

Pekin duck was not what I expected. I'm not quite sure how it was cooked, but it was served a little past medium, though very tender. The herbs gave it a nice flavor and it was well balanced with the accompanyments.

For dessert, I tasted some espresso gelato which was exceptional. It tasted very fresh, and had a strong coffee flavor.

I was happy with the delicious food and the attentive service, not to mention the personal touches added by Dmetris. I'm sure I'll be making it back.

I supposed the only negative is the usual parking problems in Montclair. Thankfully it wasn't bad on a Tues, but I can imagine it's quite difficult on Fri/Sat.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Table 8 last night and was disappointed with the food.

The server was gracious and attentive but didn't give directions for her busser. We received the bread but never got the butter. The table next to us got olive oil but they wanted butter. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to ask for butter.

We ordered the Foie Gras Special served with "carmelized strawberries". The cook must have burnt one side of the foie gras so he flipped it and plated the side that wasn't burnt. We ate around the edges. The "carmelized strawberries" was more like a strawberry topping they would serve you at a crepe store. The Calamari was good and crisp- though I felt the portion size was intimidating.

For entrees, the Pork loin was overcooked. Our server was suprisingly capable. She knew her menu and had said that it should be served medium-rare. She genuinely apologized and took the plate away. The pasta with duck confit---DO NOT ORDER! It didn't look good, smell good or taste good. It was bland. I'm not sure how they prepared the dish but if I had to guess- I think they just boiled it. DO they know what confit is?

The Molten cake was alright but it literally came out in 90 seconds after we ordered it. That was strange

I wouldn't go back. Although, Dmetrius (i think that's his name) was hospitable to the tables around us and he did apologize for the shortcomings.

I couldn't agree more with the last post. I was there with a total of 8 people. there wasn't 1 dish that anyone ate that was good. fish was terribly overcooked, risotto was as overcooked as the fish was. the salmon was the fishiest fish i've ever seen. i got a pasta for a middle course, it had no flavor. every one of us was really, really dissapointed with the meal there. I don't think i would go back again...

I went to Table 8 last night and was disappointed with the food.

The server was gracious and attentive but didn't give directions for her busser. We received the bread but never got the butter. The table next to us got olive oil but they wanted butter. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to ask for butter.

We ordered the Foie Gras Special served with "carmelized strawberries". The cook must have burnt one side of the foie gras so he flipped it and plated the side that wasn't burnt. We ate around the edges. The "carmelized strawberries" was more like a strawberry topping they would serve you at a crepe store. The Calamari was good and crisp- though I felt the portion size was intimidating.

For entrees, the Pork loin was overcooked. Our server was suprisingly capable. She knew her menu and had said that it should be served medium-rare. She genuinely apologized and took the plate away. The pasta with duck confit---DO NOT ORDER! It didn't look good, smell good or taste good. It was bland. I'm not sure how they prepared the dish but if I had to guess- I think they just boiled it. DO they know what confit is?

The Molten cake was alright but it literally came out in 90 seconds after we ordered it. That was strange 

I wouldn't go back. Although, Dmetrius (i think that's his name) was hospitable to the tables around us and he did apologize for the shortcomings.

I couldn't agree more with the last post.  I was there with a total of 8 people.  there wasn't 1 dish that anyone ate that was good.  fish was terribly overcooked, risotto was as overcooked as the fish was.  the salmon was the fishiest fish i've ever seen.  i got a pasta for a middle course, it had no flavor.  every one of us was really, really dissapointed with the meal there.  I don't think i would go back again...

Is it possible that Table 8 excells during the week when things are quieter, but struggles on the weekend when things are busy?

I had a great meal there. It's disappointing to read such negative reviews so soon after i went.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)