• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

table 8

pnapoli

It's a new opening, in Montclair. From what I've heard the names of the Chefs are Michael Clampffer and Marika Villik. Clamffer used to work at the Stage House Inn. The owner is Demetri Malki, who used to have a place called Dmetris.

I haven't been there, but I've had a good report on it from someone who went to their opening party. The paint is apparently still drying on the walls there, so to speak, so I'd keep that in mind if you go anytime soon.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We ate there on Friday 8/12. We arrived late and did not feel like a full entree each, so we ordered 4 appetizers: mussels with chorizo in a spicy tomato sauce, crabcake, grilled peach salad and dates with almonds and cheese wrapped in bacon. They were all very good. I look forward to return to try the entrees!

Also, the atmosphere, lighting, chairs and plates are very New York trendy. We enjoyed it. The host, Dmetri, is very,very friendly and hospitable. A neighboring hostess (many of you know who I mean) should hang out with Dmetri for a night to see how it's done.

We liked Dmetri's, but this restaurant is better in both food and atmosphere. We were advised that a nearby new parking deck is open and not charging on some evenings--it's behind the Volvo dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful restaurant experience we had this past week. The food was great. For appetizers we had an arugula salad and a beggars purse. Both were delicious. The entrees we ordered were striped bass and chicken kiev and they were tasty as well. The staff was professional and pleasant. We will be returning soon.

We loved Table 8, 615 Bloomfield Avenue, Montclair; BYO. Appetizers included mushroom soup decorated with truffle oil which captured the essence of mushrooms; a refreshing warm goat cheese salad with baby beets; not to be missed dates stuffed with almonds and gorgonzola and wrapped in smoked bacon; Moroccan flavored shrimp beggars purse; a very rich porcini and roasted shallot ravioli with truffle cream; and crispy calamari with house made tomato sauce and zesty citrus marmalade.

Entrees were equally delicious. Lowell surprised us by ordering a special steak au poivre rather than his usual pork dish. I was tempted to order the pork tenderloin which came stuffed with apples, walnuts and gorgonzola but opted for Chatham cod served with a rich creamy chowder of baby clams. Next time I dine here I will order the spicy cocoa and walnut crusted filet of sole or the chicken Kiev with truffle herb butter as I had a little taste of both and thought they were fabulous.

We were very impressed by the jaw dropping décor. Brick and brown tufted walls, tall cushy red velvet chairs, and ceiling lights which changed colors all created a sophisticated sleek mood. Tables were placed far apart which also added to the intimate atmosphere.

The chef’s selection of homemade ice cream was good and I especially liked the pistachio. Homemade sorbets were available also. Chocolate lovers can opt for the warm molten chocolate cake with hot caramel and a new take on crème brulee which is infused with thyme and served with figs and biscotti. Coffee was very good. Phone: 973-746-2233.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had dinner here on Saturday night - we liked the lively, friendly atmosphere, loud enough to feel like there was something going on, but you could still hear everyone at the table.

I enjoyed the stuffed dates wrapped in bacon, but we did not care for the foie gras - it was a very large portion & was just too much after a while. I had the sole entree topped with walnuts, the first bite was heaven, I loved this dish - my husband had a tagliatelle with short ribs, very nice stew flavor in the sauce.

For dessert we tried the molten chocolate cake & a blueberry pie with buttermilk ice cream - both were excellent.

Service had a good pace & prices were reasonable. I'm looking forward to another visit to try some other dishes.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to Table 8 and had another memorable dinner. Started with the addictive almonds and gorgonzola stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and the warm Maryland crabcake with crispy asparagus, red pepper salad, and a sun dried tomato vinaigrette. Entrees were a fabulous spicy cocoa and walnut crusted filet of sole and a tender chicken Kiev with truffle herb butter. Chef Michael Clampffer sent out a small sampling of his homemade ice cream and although all of the flavors were quite delicious we swooned over the corn ice cream. Yes—corn ice cream. It was sweet with a subtle hint of corn. With an espresso and a cappuccino the bill was $42 per person with tax and tip. Phone: 973-746-2233.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Met a friend here last evening for dinner and was most pleasantly surprised.

Someone put a lot of money and very good taste in the decor. Definitely NY style.

This is not a "store front".

The food and service were also very good. (Rosie, another NJ winner) I started with perfectly prepared crab cakes that I could easily have ordered again as my entre. My salmon with julienne veggies was very good though a bit on the bland side. My friend ordered the goat cheese salad and the tuna, both of which he liked very much. He was also nice enough to bring along a 1974 Sterling private reserve which made me one happy camper. Could hardly beleave how young it still was.

They were pretty full for a Tuesday evening and deservedly so. Dimitri, the owner, is a very likeable host and should do quite well. I will bring my wife here very soon and am sure that we will enjoy it very much if the kitchen is anything like last night.

Unfortunately it is a 45 minute ride for me and my friends from my hood would not dream of driving that long for a meal. Too bad.

Hank

Table 8 donated all of the proceeds from last night to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. We were a table of six so we were able to taste all of the choices on the special three course dinner. Everything was scrumptious and the service was perfection. We had:

Appetizers

Wild mushroom soup, with aged balsamic vinegar and black truffle oil

Warm ricotta cheese tart, baby arugula salad, and sliced prosciutto

Risotto of butternut squash, smoked bacon, sage, and toasted seeds

Entrée

Niman ranch pork chop with roasted root vegetables, parsnip puree and a red wine reduction

Grouper with basil pesto cous cous, mascarpone, and roasted tomato beurre blanc

Hand cut pappardelle with shrimp, Thai coconut sauce, and shiitaki mushrooms

Dessert

Passion fruit tart with fresh raspberries and white chocolate shavings

Warm molten chocolate cake with hazelnut ganache, hazelnut ice cream and chocolate sorbet

Warm Granny Smith apple financiere with caramel, cinnamon ice cream and cranberry sauce

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to Table 8 last evening with my wife and friends and what a difference from the first time I went. The noise level was beyond anything you can imagine (Saturday night??) and we were so rushed that we became really upset. With our coffee came our check and 2 minutes later our waitress came over to remind us that the check was on the table. When we complained to Dimitri he told us that it was now 8:45 and we had been at the table since 6:30. After he looked at his reservation book he realized that we had a 7:15 res. So why rush us out at 8:45. I saw no fast food rest. sign anywhere and we were there for only 1 1/2 hours. He told us that they alotted 2 1/2 hours. Someone does not know his math.

As for the food, we were very disappointed. A polenta based appetizer was as bland as a dish can get. Three people ordered the Sole with a cocoa topping. It sounded and read most interestingly but no one mentioned the fact that they added a significant amount of sugar to the cocoa which totally destroyed the fish and I must say that it tasted awful. All three plates were hardly touched. Don't you think that someone should have come to our table and inquire the reason why? I ordered the cod and it was terribly overcooked and swimming in a sauce that was so heavy it layed in my stomach for a long time. The only thing I really liked was my tuna tartar appetizer but at $11.00 a very stingy portion and I am not a fan of big plates of food.

Over all the only excuse I can think of is that it was Saturday night and they became very busy but that is absolutely no excuse for poor executions and rude service. They will not see my money again nor my friends.

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

So sorry you had a bad experience at Table 8. I've had the spicy cocoa and walnut crusted filet of sole and it was fabulous. There wasn't any sugar in it. Perhaps the kitchen put sugar in the mix instead of a spice. In any case, try Blu, Montclair next and let us know what you think.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

This is my first post to eGullet, though I have been lurking and reading for quite some time.

My husband and I took friends of ours to Table 8 for dinner Saturday night. It was our fourth time there (two other dinners plus the Katrina benefit). We've known Chef Michael Clampffer since the Stage House where my Husband had been a regular since the David Drake days. (We actually got married at the Stage House earlier this year.)

The soup of the moment was a split pea with either ham or bacon (I forget) and herbed croutons. Husband loved it, but I found the soup a little too thin for my taste in pea soup. The foie gras was served with fig compote and was absolutely delicious. We got an order of the bacon wrapped dates stuffed with almonds and gorgonzola which are highly addictive. I don't really like bacon (or gorgonzola for that matter) and I think they are wonderful. Demetri insisted we try them on our first visit and we have had them every time since. I had the crab cake which was quite tasty and something I would certainly order again. Our guest also ordered the shrimp beggars purse which I had on our last visit and it was very well received by our picky friend.

For main courses, filet mignon was a special, served with mashed potatoes and some veggies, which is what both the gentlemen ordered and devoured. I had the Yellow fin Tuna with adobo and sesame crust, wasabi risotto, soy peanut sauce, and coconut vinaigrette. Though I couldn't really taste the coconut in the vinaigrette, the tuna, served rare, was spicy and delicious. Definitely something I would order again. (I have also had the pan seared scallops which I adore.) Our ladyfriend had the monkfish special which was server with Israeli couscous. It was also rather tasty.

For dessert we had the butterscotch creme brulee served with an oatmeal cookie, the chocolate hazelnut cake served with hazelnut ice cream and chocolate sorbet, panna cotta served with figs and the passion fruit tart. All desserts were excellent and eagerly shared and devoured. I also had a scoop of the yummy cinnamon ice cream.

It was another delicious meal for us at Table 8. It is still a touch too noisy when crowded, which seems to be all evening. Service is getting better, though they do seem to be a little short staffed at peak times. They are looking to boost the FOH staff which should help things.

Table 8 is now open for lunch and Sunday brunch, which we are dying to try. Reservations are recommended for dinner.

Naomi

edited for spelling....

Edited by nomistone (log)

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for someplace to lunch in Montclair consider going to Table 8. Had a lovely lunch there yesterday: wild salmon burger with spicy chipotle aioli, shaved fennel, grapefruit and mint salad; and grilled chicken salad with Granny Smith apples. Would like to try the grilled thin crust pizzas with a variety of toppings next time.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Chef Clampffer was dishing out samples of his pumpkin risotto at the oh-so-empty-and-oh-so-cold-and-damp Montclair Farmer's Market today. It was VERY tasty, and of course, welcome on this cold day!

One look at the menu confirms that I must get there, and soon. He said that weeknights are starting to get full now, and also mentioned their new Sunday brunch, which is a la carte.

Too bad he didn't have any of those bacon-wrapped dates with him... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

Table 8 received a Very Good from David Corcoran in the New Jersey section of the New York Times December 4, 2005.

It was also reviewed in the Bergen Record on Friday December 2, 2005.

Click Here:http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyMDYmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4Mjg0ODImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNQ==

Congratulations to everyone at Table 8.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to here that Rosie. I've avoided talking about the place because Marika Villik is a good friend of my sister's and I considered it a conflict of interest.

I've been told by several people that one of the major downsides of Table 8 has predictibly not been helped by the review. It's packed. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Has anyone been there for brunch recently? I heard a less-than-stellar review on Sunday.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."