• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemonade

jaybee

Made my first pitcher last weekend.  My recipe?  So glad you asked:  juice of six lemons freshly squeezed.  Mix in two to four tablespoons of vanilla sugar (sugar that's been sitting in a tin forever with pieces of vanilla beans), two quarts of cold seltzer.  Mix until sugar is dissolved.  Serve over three or four ice cubes in tall thin glasses decorated with bas reliefs of naked women (that last part is optional but lots of fun to hold).  Makes six to eight servings.

I've been toying with the idea of making a simple syrup of the vanilla sugar and water to save time, but this works so well it isn't worth it.

Variations on a theme:  sprig of fresh mint, a couple of jiggers of vodka (or aquavit).

Notes: The vanilla sugar is a must.  Seltzer is much better than plain water.

Variations on a theme:  sprig of fresh mint, a couple of jiggers of vodka (or aquavit).

Yawanna try something wonderful?  Put a few splashes of Amaretto in that glass of lemonade.

If you're close to Mexico, you can get Mexican Amaretto for five bucks or so a jug...  Makes this marvelous drink soooooo much more affordable.  And that's a good thing, because you and your guests will drink sooooo much of it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My recipe: Frozen vodka. A shard of lemon zest.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Recipe: zest a lemon. Take one of the pieces. A small one. Tear it in half. Voila.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 1 year later...

Perhaps time to resurrect this thread?

The herb garden is going great guns, so this weekend I made . . .

Mint lemonade

Basil lemonade

(I'd never made basil lemonade before but I'll be doing it again. Great stuff.)

I like to make up a big batch of simple syrup and keep it in the fridge.  Less work and a more consistent product than mixing sugar into a cold beverage.

Here's what I did over the weekend, please offer critiques/comments!

1/2 cup sugar with 2 cups water in small saucepan. Bring to boil & stir well. Remove from heat.

Add herbs, cover, & let sit for about 45 minutes.

Add 4 cups water to pitcher & then strain herb water into pitcher.

Add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice to pitcher to taste.

Chill.

Perhaps time to resurrect this thread?

The herb garden is going great guns, so this weekend I made . . .

Mint lemonade

Basil lemonade

(I'd never made basil lemonade before but I'll be doing it again.  Great stuff.)

What about trying lemon basil? I've only used it in iced tea, but I bet it would be wonderful in lemonade.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What about trying lemon basil?  I've only used it in iced tea, but I bet it would be wonderful in lemonade.

Good suggestion. The lemon basil is growing from seed & it's behind the "regular" basil.

Hopefully, I'll be able to try this soon. :smile:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

This is the best recipe for homemade lemonade I've ever tried:

Take 6 lemons, them in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Leave a minute or two (this is to remove the wax retailers put on the outside to make them prettier), and dry them off vigorously (also helps to release juices).

Slice them as thinly as you can (rind and all!) and put in a large, non-reactive bowl, sprinkling each layer with sugar (about a cup and a half of sugar total for 6 lemons, if I remember correctly--I'll double check when I get home tomorrow). Also add a pinch of salt to this mixture. Leave to macerate for an hour, more or less.

With a wooden spoon, press out juice from the lemons without breaking up the pulp.

Add cold water (somewhat less than a half gallon is what I like, but can be more if you like your lemonade weaker.....taste as go along!), serve over ice (duh!).

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

this may be too simple for you sophisticated folks but i think it is so good and so easy.

1 lemon, cut in half (or more), 8 ice cubes, a few desert spoons of sugar, top up to 1 litre in total (ie including lemon, ice etc)with water. and blend/whizz for 10 seconds on maximum power. sieve and serve. its instant, cold and refreshing. adjust sugar levels for taste but don't be too ascetic about it.

a nice addition is a raw egg (don't bother to remove shell)

White rum, best combination for lemon,sugar, seltzer and chopped ice.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

I always throw the squeezed lemon halves into the lemonade and let it sit a couple of hours. The sugar in the lemonade seems to extract a lot of the flavor from the lemon rinds. I always add lime juice and lime halves to my lemonade too, because I love limes and they're cheaper.

So I made up a batch of basilade this afternoon, basically following Matthew's recipe (though I made the syrup a little stronger.) Pretty good-- the herbs add a nice refreshing touch-- but I used a big handful of basil, which was a little too much. I'd say a small handful would do it.