• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhum Chauvet

marty mccabe

Rhum Chauvet "Special Cocktail" white rum, that's a new one on me. The other Chauvet rums I've seen aren't rhum agricole though they claim to be from Martinique. From what I've seen these are bottled in France from unknown origins. A lot of molasses-based rum is shipped to France and bottled in liqueurs and other things.

I hope you aren't disappointed but let us know.

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I haven't seen Chauvet claim to be AOC before, and that brand isn't sold in Martinique, so it seems suspicious. Is this bottled at 50% abv.? I'll have to find this one. There will be a number of new rhums claiming to be from Martinique in the coming months.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

bottle bears the designation, "Martinique Appellation d'Origine" AND the words, "PRODUCT OF FRANCE"...which contributes to a lot of my confusion.

Martinique is a department of France, as is Guadeloupe. So technically, the label is correct, but since Chauvet is bottled in France it says "Product of France" instead of "Product of Martinique, French West Indies."

Happy sipping, but don't mix it with Coke.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com