• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Restaurant

kissmekate

Hi gulleter's! I tried tracking Thai food as a search, then tried your various best of threads but I can't seem to find anything on recommended Thai restaurants. Normally I would send them to Montri's but they are staying at the Hyatt and want a downtown restaurant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

By God! She's right! There are a grand total of 5 threads with "Thai" in the title, with a total of about 10 posts! Seems odd for what was once the most popular cuisine ...

Does Cambie & 19th count as "downtown"? (3364 Cambie). If not, they have a downtown location (102-888 Burrard) but I've never eaten there.

A.

Salathai on Burrard (across from the Sutton Place) is my usual recommendation for a downtown Thai restaurant. The food is very good, nice ambiance and friendly staff. Apparently, the Thai Royal family caters from Salathai when they are in town. So, I think they must do a decent job.

I also enjoy Simply Thai in Yaletown. The food is excellent - very authentic and flavourful. The only draw back is the room can be a little cramped and may be hot.

another vote for simply thai here. love the food and must order the cho muang (Beautiful steamed violet coloured flower dumplings stuffed with minced chicken, onion and special Thai spices) when the chef is in the house. simply heavenly!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

i've eaten a lot of Thai in YVR but always return to Salathai. their pad thai is sh!te however. the owner is from Chiang Mai so he once told me. my ex flatmate still goes to Salathai every week...but then he hasn't been to Thailand :P [been away for over 8 years but am still talking in present tense]