• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Giffords Ice Cream and Candies

Damian

Where do the high schoolers go now?

Booeymonger's on Wisc. Ave. has always been popular with high schoolers.

Way back when or at least a decade ago, we always started a night out with a cup of cinnamon coffee. My intern who is a senior tells me they still do the same thing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

OMG booey's!

we'd get the cinnamon coffee too!

back when i was a meat eating girl - there used to be something decadent with bacon and spinach and roast beef. i was addicted to that sandwich. i'd always con someone into splitting it with me. and then i'd smoke dozens of cigarettes...

the good old days! :blink:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

OMG booey's!

we'd get the cinnamon coffee too!

back when i was a meat eating girl - there used to be something decadent with bacon and spinach and roast beef. i was addicted to that sandwich. i'd always con someone into splitting it with me. and then i'd smoke dozens of cigarettes...

the good old days! :blink:

For me it was the pita pan. It was the avocados and dressing that got me. I loved that thing.

How great was the glass covered porch?

I know have a craving for cinnamon coffee :smile:

Booeys is still great. But when we were feeling upscale, it was time to head over to the original American Cafe, on Wisconsin Avenue, just off M. It seems a little quaint now, but it was a breakthrough in 1975.

Pizza at Gunchers, anyone? Or beer at Old Mac's?

And, though the Bonne Appetite, AKA "the Bone" still puts out a decent burger, the thrill is gone. Of course, it's been a couple of decades since I ate a bone burger properly stoned. I liked #6, the William.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Booeys is still great. But when we were feeling upscale, it was time to head over to the original American Cafe, on Wisconsin Avenue, just off M. It seems a little quaint now, but it was a breakthrough in 1975.

I LOVED the American cafe!!! There was one on the NE side of the Hill. The service was terrible but the food was great.

Which makes me think of Bob's Famous. I know they are still around in Bethesda, but at least a decade has passed since they closed on the Hill. You never knew who you would see buying an ice cream cone. Not to mention the first boy I ever had a crush on, I must have been 8 or 9, worked behind the counter. I don't like ice cream, but I ate a lot of it that summer. :cool:

My first political job was up there on what we locals call "The Senate Side" and my good friend supported her campaign habit with a waitress job at the Hill AmCaf. I did some hard time in Bob's, too, during those long days with no real money coming in.

I'm on the pavement

oh the american cafe! - wasn't that right upstairs from booeys? (Friendship) i thought i was the poshest thing around - eating my chicken tarragon on croissant. the neon lights were so very miami vice.

did it really open in 1975?? i thought it was new when i went there - must have been 1983...

the glass porch at booey's was great. we routinely had it to ourselves midweek and it seemed there was always someplace to sit. the most coveted spot though was the booth just on the right when you walked in - i think we fit 10 people in there once! :rolleyes:

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Which makes me think of Bob's Famous. I know they are still around in Bethesda,

is that the ice cream shop off of wisconsin in bethesda? we used to switch between there and the one in glover park - steve's?? long gone i bet - i never remember where it was...

--6 Train

Which makes me think of Bob's Famous.  I know they are still around in Bethesda,

is that the ice cream shop off of wisconsin in bethesda? we used to switch between there and the one in glover park - steve's?? long gone i bet - i never remember where it was...

Yep, that's the one.

I'm pretty sure that Steve's is gone. It may be Max's now, I'll have to check. Is Steve's the one that did the blend ins? They had a store in Georgetown on Wisconsin.

oh the american cafe! - wasn't that right upstairs from booeys? (Friendship) i thought i was the poshest thing around - eating my chicken tarragon on croissant. the neon lights were so very miami vice.

did it really open in 1975?? i thought it was new when i went there - must have been 1983...

The original American Cafe opened in Georgetown just before I moved from the suburbs to DC to attend (if that's not too strong a statement) GWU. Over the years, the scattered a few more around town -- the Hill location mentioned earlier, and uptown -- so your location may indeed have been new when you discovered it.

I'm on the pavement

The original American Cafe opened in Georgetown just before I moved from the suburbs to DC to attend (if that's not too strong a statement) GWU. Over the years, the scattered a few more around town -- the Hill location mentioned earlier, and uptown -- so your location may indeed have been new when you discovered it.

I don't think that the Hill location opened before the early '80's. Can't remember much further than that.

Anyone remember the sushi bar that was in the same shopping strip as Joe's Noodle House? My earliest memories of sushi are there. I can't remember the name :sad:

How could I have forgotten?

Dominic's

When it was still Dominic's. I loved that place.

I don't think that the Hill location opened before the early '80's. Can't remember much further than that.

Anyone remember the sushi bar that was in the same shopping strip as Joe's Noodle House? My earliest memories of sushi are there. I can't remember the name :sad:

The Hill location was open by 1983, which is when I started hanging out in that neighborhood, but it strikes me that it had opened only recently.

On a more upscale note, anyone remember the old line French places around town?

La Rive Gauche, in Georgetown -- the first really fancy French meal I ever ate, as a college sophmore with new girlfriend in tow...and parents picking up the tab. I don't remember a thing about the food, but I remember being very impressed at the swarms of waiters, and the mechanical crumber they used to clear the tablecloth before dessert. Was it Seagrams that used to hide the case of Whiskey and put the clues in their ads? The Rive Gauche was the key to the one they hid in DC -- you had to find a streetcorner with 3 banks. On the corner of Wisconsin and M were two financial institutions, and "The Left Bank." Now it's a Banana Republic.

Parent visits provided funding for most of those early adventures. The girfriend's father paid for the night at Lyon d'Or, where I encountered lobster bisque for the first time. He had a Georgia accent that would have made Rhett Butler feel like riff-raff, and he'd spent two years as a mining engineer in St. Emilion. When he got a snootful, he argued (affably) with the waiter in strangely accented French about whether the wine glasses were authentically St. Emilion-ish.

Too bad his daughter was a psychopath.

Just before it closed, my parents took me -- sans petite amie -- to Sans Souci, the restaurant made famous by those glamorous Kennedy Administration folks. Sadly, it had than near-death feel that restaurants get just before the make that transformation from business to memory, but I enjoyed myself anyway. We asked the chef to make potatoe souffles for mom, potatoe slices cut and twice-fried, so they turn into little crisp puffs, that you are allowed to eat with your fingers.

Finally, the parents of the future Mrs. Busboy took us to Le Pavillon, the night before she graduated, for my first expereince with nouvelle cuisine. Eight courses, the bill so staggering her dad's hands almost trembled as he pulled out the American Express card. Little did I know that in just over a year, I'd be working there myself.

Save for le Pavillon, I can't say if the food was better or worse than restaurant food is today. Certainly, it was less creative than the food available at top restaurants now, although it was all new and fascinating to me back then. On the other hand, they were so damn civilized, you can't help but wish there was still one place left in town where a gentleman in a tuxedo finished your filet bernaise tableside, and the lady was given the menu without the prices.

PS also Dominiques.

I'm on the pavement

I was five or six when I first dined at Dominic's. It was the very early 80's. I now know that my father had impressed some clients and they said take your family out to dinner. My parent's had waited for the right opportunity to introduce their already a food snob daughter to the world of fine dining. And they did it on a school night!

It was fabulous. The hostest (Diane, I think) was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She wore bright red lipstick and a black dress. At least in my memory anyway. And she spoke French. Did I mention that I was obsessed with the French in my childhood?

I had steak. All I remember was thinking how big it was. I was a tiny kid, and it was was a big piece of meat. And the potatos. It was a whole new world after that night.

I was five or six when I first dined at Dominic's. It was the very early 80's. I now know that my father had impressed some clients and they said take your family out to dinner. My parent's had waited for the right opportunity to introduce their already a food snob daughter to the world of fine dining. And they did it on a school night!

It was fabulous. The hostest (Diane, I think) was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She wore bright red lipstick and a black dress. At least in my memory anyway. And she spoke French. Did I mention that I was obsessed with the French in my childhood?

I had steak. All I remember was thinking how big it was. I was a tiny kid, and it was was a big piece of meat. And the potatos. It was a whole new world after that night.le

Diane - i'll have to ask my dad about that...the name is so familiar. he fancied himself quite the man about town in those days and since every maitre d / hostess was a career person - he knew them all.

dominique's was my favorite restaurant - i was really young though. and those potato souffles - i think we called them something else - but i swear they had them at the palm - they were either crisp or puffed. btw - i always thought the chips tasted funny at the palm...i bet they fried in lard.

lyon d'or!! - my mom's image of high glamour. there's another one - it's a drive but not an I@LW type drive - just a scare the pants off the 8 year old when mommy's boyfriend drives like a maniac in the inky rain far. l'auberge chez francois?? something like that. i took spanish.

--6 Train

did it really open in 1975?? i thought it was new when i went

On that note, remember Swenson's Ice Cream Parlor? (across the street!)

There used to be one in Friendship Heights where the Saks Fifth Avenue for Men store is now.

Sadly, Swenson's might be part of the reason I like ice cream a lot less than the rest of the world.

This has nothing to do with their sweet, creamy ice cream, and it certainly isn't an aversion to dairy...

I think I was about five:

I was lying on one of their vinyl red booths (enjoying my bubble gum ice cream), when the entire cushion portion fell off and slid to the floor. This left me with little to say about the ice cream and a strip of carpet nails in my butt.

I was a tiny little thing, but the booth might have been designed for sitting...and I was lying on my back, nonetheless, eating ice cream (which is sinful!). If you recall, the place was far from posh.

It must have sucked to be the manager that day; it certainly sucked to be me. Whether your five or fifty-five, I'll tell ya, carpet nails hurt like a MoFo. The two foot strip of nails ended up stuck to me like a tail and induced a pretty violent storm of tears. I was taken to the restroom upstairs and someone yanked me free. I had to go to Sibley Hospital for a painful tetanus shot...when all I ever wanted was some damn ice cream.

That Swenson's closed down soon after.

Was the ice cream there any good (I'm asking)?

As much as I have a distaste for Saks Fifth Avenue and that Mazza Galleria insanity, anything is better than that tacky ass ice cream place!

And, though the Bonne Appetite, AKA "the Bone" still puts out a decent burger, the thrill is gone. Of course, it's been a couple of decades since I ate a bone burger properly stoned. I liked #6, the William.

Is that the place with the burger takeout downstairs and the pub upstairs? I worked at the Kennedy Center for a few years and ate there all the time. Always got the mushroom/A-1 burger - the "Robert."

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

oh morela - what a rotten story. the only swenson's i knew was in tenley - across from roy roger's.

i know i was alive pre-mazza, but i wasn't aware of it not being there - only that when it opened i knew that whatever had been there before was much smaller - and that my dad never stopped calling it matza galleria. also - was there a ton of construction around that part of western/wisconsin before mazza opened? was it simultaneous with the metro? i feel like we never drove that way until mazza - and after - we were always stuck in traffic there.

for some reason swenson's reminds me of shakey's - didn't there used to be one on wisconsin in bethesda - right by east west highway? or was that jerry's? i loved the tall booths at shakey's.

what about mario's pizza - any memories? i think it was in a converted garage-adjunct to a gas station. i think it was on river road and bradley lane, but it must have closed in the early-mid 80's. it was my first pizza experience. pepperoni was too spicy for me and to this day my sister and i guiltily admit a certain fondness for canned mushrooms on our pizza.

--6 Train

I had to go to Sibley Hospital for a painful tetanus shot...when all I ever wanted was some damn ice cream.

You poor little thing!

I always loved Farrells for ice cream. There was one in Wheaton Plaza, back when it was a plaza and not a mall. Any others in the area? It was a national chain; they had them in California when we lived there in the 70s. If you went on your birthday you got a free sundae.

Shakey's. Wow. I hadn't thought about it for years. Pizza and pitchers of rootbeer, and old-timey piano music.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

oh morela - what a rotten story. the only swenson's i knew was in tenley - across from roy roger's.

i know i was alive pre-mazza, but i wasn't aware of it not being there - only that when it opened i knew that whatever had been there before was much smaller - and that my dad never stopped calling it matza galleria. also - was there a ton of construction around that part of western/wisconsin before mazza opened? was it simultaneous with the metro? i feel like we never drove that way until mazza - and after - we were always stuck in traffic there.

for some reason swenson's reminds me of shakey's - didn't there used to be one on wisconsin in bethesda - right by east west highway? or was that jerry's? i loved the tall booths at shakey's.

what about mario's pizza - any memories? i think it was in a converted garage-adjunct to a gas station. i think it was on river road and bradley lane, but it must have closed in the early-mid 80's. it was my first pizza experience. pepperoni was too spicy for me and to this day my sister and i guiltily admit a certain fondness for canned mushrooms on our pizza.

Morella, I had to get a tetnus shot a few years ago. I can only imagine how awful that must have been at 5!

The Roy Rogers (where I spent a good deal of time way back when) is now a McD's and the Swensons is now a Ruby Tuesdays. :sad:

We always went to the Swensons in Georgetown. It is where I learned to love french onion soup.

Shakey's! Yes, it was a Shakey's on Wisc. in Bethesda. Across from the Hot Shoppes that became the American City Diner that became an office building. Was their pizza square? For some reason I have square pizza associated with Shakey's, but I could be wrong.

i know i was alive pre-mazza, but i wasn't aware of it not being

I tell you, I was born in July, but it was so long ago; the year was 2 BM

(Before Mazza).

I love this quote from a 1999 Washington Business Journal story:

"Although Mazza Gallerie is near one of D.C. and Maryland's most affluent neighborhoods -- Chevy Chase -- it in the past failed to attract shoppers. McCaffery is removing its windowless facade and bringing in new tenants to inject new life into the mall. "

This story came out when Saks for Men opened.

ha ha!

Inject this ***

Why? Because we all seem to dislike Chevy Chase. Even people like me, who grew up one town away...

Edited by morela (log)

Bob's Famous - I worked at Bob's Famous summers and weekends all through high school, weekends and summers, starting when I was 14. The ice cream was made downstairs, and in high school the ice cream maker used to put a shot of rum in my coke at the end of my shift - we used real rum in the rum raisin. My favorite flavor: Orange Chocolate Chocolate Chip. Bob was a lawyer who quit to make ice cream. There were 3 stores: Capitol Hill, Glover Park, and Bethesda.

ha ha!

Inject this ***

Why? Because we all seem to dislike Chevy Chase. Even people like me, who grew up one town away...

i'm with you...i grew up in the district but in the area called chevy chase dc. my mom was always quick to name our sub-neighborhood...which no one had ever heard of (she might have even made it up)

the best thing about my house was it's proximity to parkway.

mmm potato pancakes and pickles...i think we ate there 2x a week when i was in high school.

--6 Train

hillvalley Posted on Jan 15 2004, 06:29 PM

QUOTE (reesek @ Jan 15 2004, 06:03 PM)

Morella, I had to get a tetnus shot a few years ago. I can only imagine how awful that must have been at 5!

I had to get a tetanus shot in October for a cooking related injury.