• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish in Newark

tommy

If Nina becomes the reigning deity of Portuguese bars in newark (pause), I absolutely claim the reigning deity of raw chicken title...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Now can someone answer my question about the Portuguese Food festival?

I contacted a former office mate who lives in Newark. Here's her response to my email (I asked her to post on eGullet, but I guess she hasn't had the time yet.):

Yes it's this Saturday and Sunday....Ferry Street gets blocked off and it's all weekend. I believe on Saturday it only starts later on during the day...towards evening. Sunday they have a Parade and the feast after the parade. On Friday they have something in Iberia parking lot at night. That's about it. Let me know if there are any other questions!

Marta

While I'm at it, here's her response to my query about her favorite Newark restaurants:

Iberia Resteraunt (corner of Ferry Street and Prospect)

Sol Mar (Ferry Street)

O'Campino (I believe it's on Jabez Street)

Tony de Caneca (Elm Road)

Taste Of Portugal (corner of Van Buren Street and Delancy Street)

Rachel, very possibly.  What do you define as "evening?" If we're coming from the city on public transportation, where would we meet and is that feasible?  How can we get more detailed information on when the best time to go is?

Well what I got from my coworker is what I quoted above. I don't know anything more than that. I suppose there must be an article in The Star Ledger or something. I'll have to do some more research.

OK - there are some pictures from last year's Portuguese Festival here: http://www.gonewark.com/photos_sub_9.htm

Here we go, from GoNewark.com

Portuguese Feast - The Festival runs this Saturday (6/8) 12 noon to midnight and Sunday (6/9) 12 noon to 10 pm on Ferry Street from Penn Station east. A parade will be held on Sunday from 3 to 6 pm. Ferry Street will be closed to traffice and lined with merchandise, food, drinks, and live music. The crowds should be very large.