• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Country and the Café at Country

sammy

I have been to Country Restaurant a few times in the last year and have recently heard that the restaurant is teetering and is not on solid financial ground.

I love the space and ambiance and even love the always packed cafe, its one of those places that I like to take visitors to New York to.

Can anyone respond with some information? I would hate for this one to close.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I noticed a link on Grub Street today to this piece on Gothamist:

Doug Psaltis has left the Executive Chef position at Country restaurant after three years. Word has it that the 33 year-old chef has parted ways with chef/owner Geoffrey Zakarian to pursue other restaurant plans.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I noticed a link on Grub Street today to this piece on Gothamist:
Doug Psaltis has left the Executive Chef position at Country restaurant after three years. Word has it that the 33 year-old chef has parted ways with chef/owner Geoffrey Zakarian to pursue other restaurant plans.

It seems that the words "Doug Psaltis" and "parted ways" go together more often than not.

• 1 year later...

hi,

just wondering if anyone has been here recently or heard anything. I came across it a little while ago and am thinking about a visit in the near future. I also think the champagne lounge looks like a great place to relax with some friends. Any thoughts?

just wondering if anyone has been here recently or heard anything.  I came across it a little while ago and am thinking about a visit in the near future.  I also think the champagne lounge looks like a great place to relax with some friends.  Any thoughts?

The last time I was there, the Dining Room at Country was closed. Geoffrey Zakarian announced it would eventually re-open it as Country Steak, a plan that seems to be on hiatus right now. The ground-floor rooms, originally the Café at Country, were re-christened just plain Country, serving a menu a tad above generic hotel food — acceptable, but nothing worth going out of one's way for.

Shlomo Kashy is the new chef at the Café at Country. Florence Fabricant has the story. She also confirms that the upstairs dining room (the former "Country") is now used only for private parties.

Shlomy is an awesome cook. I think he has his menu up and running already but I'm not positive. I definitely recognize some of the dishes on the pdf menu as his...