• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metro Wings It

MarketStEl

A story about the Jug's "Bald Eagle" wings (the really, really hot ones)--years ago, I see my old neighbor across the bar. A while later, he comes running over to my table, beet red face, sweat pouring from everywhere. :shock: He grabs my almost full pitcher of beer and chugs it. I'm wondering what the heck is going on. He then says, "Sorry, I just ate six bald eagles on a dare, then my friends took my beer away. I'll buy you a pitcher before I leave."

I'm still waiting for that pitcher. :blink:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

A story about the Jug's "Bald Eagle" wings (the really, really hot ones)--years ago, I see my old neighbor across the bar.  A while later, he comes running over to my table, beet red face, sweat pouring from everywhere.  :shock:  He grabs my almost full pitcher of beer and chugs it.  I'm wondering what the heck is going on.  He then says, "Sorry, I just ate six bald eagles on a dare, then my friends took my beer away.  I'll buy you a pitcher before I leave."

I'm still waiting for that pitcher.  :blink:

You should have bought him a big glass of milk. :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Apparently stephenc didn't send his suggestion to Ron Varrial in time.

This week's Metro weekend edition has no recommended wings.

And this week (Sept. 9)?

Our first misfire.

A reader recommended Cavanaugh's in University City to "Wingin' It" columnist Ron Varrial.

Ron was underwhelmed with the output of this college hangout for Drexel and Penn students. (It used to be very close to Drexel; even though it's now just a half block from Penn's three biggest dorms, it still draws a healthy sample of Drexel undergrads.)

For starters, they were soggy, not crispy, though he did manage to find one crispy wing buried in his pile.

In the end, he had to run out and get some real wings--from Moriarty's, which, he wrote, remains his choice for best in the city.

Of which speaking: I've seen several of you nominate other Philly places Ron has yet to visit. Why not send your recommendations in and see if he agrees?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've slipped a bit on keeping up with Ron Varrial's quest for the best wings.

In the Sept. 16 column, Varrial notes that he has gotten complaints from critics who note that he likes just about anything but authentic Buffalo wings--that is, wings coated in a mix of hot sauce and butter and served with blue cheese dressing on the side. (But wait--that sounds to me like a good description of Moriarty's wings, the ones set out in the opening installment as the gold standard.)

Having acknowledged the critics, he then goes on to praise the wings served at the Black Sheep (247 South 17th), which are covered with a very garlicky hot sauce--"If you're a vampire, steer clear"--and served with a Gorgonzola dip that, in his estimation, is a step above the standard blue cheese dressing. Well, so much for the critics, I guess.

The following Friday, he made a plea for naked wings. That is to say, no breading. It appears a visit to Hooters--where the wings are more fully enrobed than the waitresses--inspired this complaint. Wings are supposed to be crisp, Varrial says, but breading them is a form of cheating: "It's not genuinely crispy. It's crisp hiding mush." His recommended remedy? Warning labels on menus much like the warning labels on products containing nuts. In fact, he says, the warning should be blunt: "These wings will suck."

The following Friday, he made a plea for naked wings.  That is to say, no breading.  It appears a visit to Hooters--where the wings are more fully enrobed than the waitresses--inspired this complaint. Wings are supposed to be crisp, Varrial says, but breading them is a form of cheating:  "It's not genuinely crispy. It's crisp hiding mush."  His recommended remedy? Warning labels on menus much like the warning labels on products containing nuts.  In fact, he says, the warning should be blunt: "These wings will suck."

i believe that this is true. breading/battering on buffalo wings is wrong, because the breading/batter soaks up the sauce and gets soggy, which chicken skin doesn't do.