• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie Kennedy RESTAURANT (not Wine Bar)

Nondoctor

Opening towards the tail end of August... just north/adjacent to the Wine Bar on Church.

A-la-carte seasonal menu... and... wait for it... RESERVATIONS.

Also... a lounge area for libations while one waits for a table in the Wine Bar.

Shhhhhhhh... this is on the "QT"

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Opening towards the tail end of August... just north/adjacent to the Wine Bar on Church.

Also... a lounge area for libations while one waits for a table in the Wine Bar.

Why would a restaurant opening be on the QT?

www.azurerestaurant.ca

Why would a restaurant opening be on the QT?

I was sort-of joking.

I don't believe it's common knowledge as yet.

I didn't get the impression that the staff there were told to keep it quiet, they were certainly freely offering the details when I was last there. I agree with Jeebus, when the opening is so close and the renovations were quite obvious, why would they want to keep it hidden.

I didn't get the impression that the staff there were told to keep it quiet, they were certainly freely offering the details when I was last there.  I agree with Jeebus, when the opening is so close and the renovations were quite obvious, why would they want to keep it hidden.

I'm guessing they want to go for a "soft opening" of sorts?

I seem to remember that Msr. Kennedy did the same when the JK Wine Bar opened.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

I wonder if anyone else here smells an attempt at some free advertising?

I wonder if anyone here ever reads the New York Forum?

I do.

I wonder if NonDoctor realises that in one post in January, he stated:

"I work as Sommelier at the Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar in Toronto"

I wonder if anyone appreciates this site being used as a format for

non-declared advertising?

I don't.

Edited by arielle (log)

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

I do.

I don't.

Arielle,

You make it sound like non-doctor is doing something illicit by posting stuff about the restaurant that he(are you even sure non-doctor is a he?) works at. What's the harm?

I am pretty sure that there are hundreds of e-gullet contributers that work in the industry. What is so bad about plugging your own place? I think that non-doctor is trying to start a conversation about a topic; one that some readers know about already, and many more do not. I admit that the delight of the "rumour" or the "hot gossip" is spoilt by the fact that the gossip-spreader is an employee, but who better to start the conversation? At least we will get the facts truthfully. Maybe you can delight in exposing non-doctor's inaccuracy if what he promises in his posts are not in the final product....

In any case, I want to ask non-doctor to tell us more about the restaurant, and not have this discusison turn into the morality of using a post as advertising(its not like he's promising coupons to us or anything...)

Non-doctor, please keep writing, i want to know more about ther restaurant. How many seats is it? Will Jamie be cooking in the new restaurant more often, or does he have a chef-de-cuisine?

you never know, it could happen...

I don't think it comes as a shock to any regular readers of this forum that Nondoctor works for Jamie Kennedy. He's certainly never hid it from anyone, as far as I can tell. It's been mentioned in more posts then the New York one you mentioned.

As for him mentioning things and considering it advertisement...who cares? There has been extensive talk of the Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar, and he's just passing on information that some customers might appreciate. I know I do. Maybe the fact that he posted the information in a rather tounge in cheek fashion made it seem dubious, but I can't see why. Why wouldn't customers who appreciate JK want to know more?

There are countless professionals on this site, most of which talk or answer questions about their restaurants, that's what make eGullet such a great site.

I'm glad that someone picked up on my tongue-in-cheek tone...

Just thought you might be interested, that's all... seeing as 3 e-gulleters who work in the industry had requested I post something here as they wondered what was going on.

"(its not like he's promising coupons to us or anything...)"

Hahahahaha!

I do.

I don't.

So what if he's starting a buzz? He's not lying about anything or declaring the place oh so great under false pretenses? Like someone has already stated I think it's no secret to regular egulleters that Nondoctor works in Jamie Kennedy's place. Besides, is he not allowed at all to comment on the restaurants' opening?

I guess the tongue-in-cheek tone was too subtle, ya? :raz:

Out of curiousity, how did you come up with the handle "Nondoctor"?

Edited by doctorandchef (log)

I think some people don't get tongue-in-cheek, because they have too much head-up-ass.

Wouldn't that be literally tongue-in-cheek?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tongue in cheek in cheeks......

it's true, some people require a sphincterectomy, plus a colon-craniectomy.

I think we're going off topic now......

To answer all of your questions...

The JK Restaurant will seat around 30 people.

Jamie K is Chef de Cuisine and will be very, VERY much hands-on in the new Restaurant.

Chef is Eric Walker who has been with JK for 5 years, moving up from prep chef through events chef to his current position.

Front of House is being taken in hand by Aron Mohr, ex of Etoile, Vancouver, who has been with JK Wine Bar for around 1 year.

If you ever enjoyed JK's food at the Palmerston then I would imagine that you would be excited by the new menu.

Edited by arielle (log)

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

To answer all of your questions...

The JK Restaurant will seat around 30 people.

Jamie K is Chef de Cuisine and will be very, VERY much hands-on in the new Restaurant.

Chef is Eric Walker who has been with JK for 5 years, moving up from prep chef through events chef to his current position.

Front of House is being taken in hand by Aron Mohr, ex of Etoile, Vancouver, who has been with JK Wine Bar for around 1 year.

If you ever enjoyed JK's food at the Palmerston then I would imagine that you would be excited by the new menu.

Jamie will be exec chef and Walker will be chef de cuisine. Also Jamie will be very involved at the beginning just like he was with the wine bar but once it is up and running he will be around a lot less.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

There,  was that so bad?  Thanks for the information everybody, will look forward to all the good eats.

and if nondoctor wants to give out coupons, well I'll be first in line. :biggrin:

You are more than welcome!

It is clear to me that over time there have been some people that have raised the profile of this pair of restaurants in this forum beyond people’s interest. Some people have used this space to promote (advertise) these restaurants. It is annoying. I will never again add anything to this topic. In reality I should not do it now but I recently was at the wine bar and want to give my impressions.

I went to the wine bar to have a glass of wine, at the wine bar.

The wine bar is a relatively small space with and open kitchen with a bar looking at the kitchen. The other side of the room is a bar with a wall made of a wine rack. There were some tables sprinkled in the front and the back.

When I first walked in I was surprised. Although the space was nice I thought the place might be bigger given all the postings in this forum.

I also realized that the wine bar was not a wine bar but a restaurant.

I told the hostess that I came for a glass of wine then she directed me to the bar along the kitchen. I directed her to the seats along the wine bar.

I was again encouraged to buy food, and again, and again.

So much for the wine bar!

I ordered a glass of port, sat and talked with my friend we noticed on that night was a very coupley night, and definitely a restaurant atmosphere.

When I first walked into the restaurant there was strong but pleasant food smell. As the night wore on the smell changed to be a less pleasant. The smell that took hold was the smell of meat cooking on a frying pan, and the room became more filled with food smoke.

The chairs used at the bar, although stylish are inadequate for this type of restaurant. They are 10 minute chairs.

Over all the Wine bar looked like a good place to eat but does not justify post after post.

Thank you. I second that. Everytime I log on to this site, there is something posted about the wine bar. Please, stop the spam! If people want to write about their experiences there, fine, but please stop with the extra attempts at attention. It is simply annoying. If you are a member of the staff who wants to advertise something, state that that is what you are doing, then the rest of us can skip it after reading the first line. :wink:

Just kidding, but please stop the spam. Some restaurants actually pay for advertising!

When I first walked into the restaurant there was strong but pleasant food smell.  As the night wore on the smell changed to be a less pleasant.  The smell that took hold was the smell of meat cooking on a frying pan, and the room became more filled with food smoke.

Over all the Wine bar looked like a good place to eat but does not justify post after post.

I enjoyed reading your comments, as I have not been there. But this is an open ktchen wine bar/restaurant, so I would expect various aromas to come into the room. Most of us would not object to meat smells, but some would; but it is an open space...

I very much like the fact that people can discuss what they wish and in as much or as little detail as they wish in these forums. You can always choose not to read the thread if you are not interested in the topic. :biggrin: A plug here or there really does no harm. I like JK's as it one of the few places where the food is very good and you can BYOW, which I am a huge fan of. If you have ever been to Willis wine bar in Paris, perhaps one of the most famous wine bars in the world, they are pretty much the same in format (no Raveneau Valmur by the glass at JK's I am afraid and Willis kitchen is not centre stage) i.e. - there are some small tables, a small bar and a good selection of wine by the bottle or glass at a reasonable price. At Willis you can eat at the bar or you can drink at the bar like you can at JK's. I think the rumour of the separate lounge will be nice at JK's. Looking forward to reservations also.

officially left egullet....

• 2 weeks later...