• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandoline

Jeff L

I will do my best to accomodate everyone. Katie spoke to me about a month ago about the dinner. If it makes it any easier, I would be happy to give prix-fix menu. I could even come up with a special menu. The menu is posted on my web-site. It will be changing soon because summer is on the horizen.

www.mandolineoldcity.com

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

I will do my best to accomodate everyone. Katie spoke to me about a month ago about the dinner. If it makes it any easier, I would be happy to give prix-fix menu. I could even come up with a special menu. The menu is posted on my web-site. It will be changing soon because summer is on the horizen.

www.mandolineoldcity.com

The DDC has always strived to experience unique dining experiences on off-nights (Mondays/Tuesdays) as affordably as possible. Many of our dinners price at $25 pp, inclusive of tax and tip, others have stretched to $30 and $35 pp. BYOBs like yours, Todd, are especially exciting and affordable. We usually leave it up to the chef to create a menu that he/she feels beat shows off the restaurant. Whomever decides to host can work with you to the best of everyone's advantage.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think the DDC would be extremely impressed with the regular menu, a special menu created just for us would be incredible. As I said, I counted about 38 seats. We have had a number of dinners that had to be capped at 40. I think this is a great idea and would love to see a dinner at Mandoline and soon!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

If the place is that small couldn't we have two Mondays/Tuesdays. We did it in December and it can be done again.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

www.mandolineoldcity.com

Todd, as the presumed host for this outing, I love the idea of a special menu prepared for us E-Gullet folks. I will ask for your preferences on dates in May as we will probably be a large gathering and want as slow a night as possible for you. Please pm me with some dates and I'll post them on the ISO thread.

If possible, could you also pm me the menu and I can ask our resident wine expert Katie for some suggested pairings.

Thanks and yes Rich it is about time

I believe the dinners at 2nd and Cecil B Moore that Katie organized were on a Tuesday and Wednesday in the same week.

Either 2 successive Mondays or a Monday and Tuesday of the same week would probably both be fine, depending on the preferences of the restaurant.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

www.mandolineoldcity.com

Todd, as the presumed host for this outing, I love the idea of a special menu prepared for us E-Gullet folks. I will ask for your preferences on dates in May as we will probably be a large gathering and want as slow a night as possible for you. Please pm me with some dates and I'll post them on the ISO thread.

If possible, could you also pm me the menu and I can ask our resident wine expert Katie for some suggested pairings.

Thanks and yes Rich it is about time

Hosting a DDC dinner is a no-brainer, as Katie, Gary, David Desilva, Jim Tarantino and others will attest. I have sent you a PM with other particulars.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Hosting a DDC dinner is a no-brainer, as Katie, Gary, David Desilva, Jim Tarantino and others will attest.

The best part is right after the meal. The restaurant did the heavy lifting, but you get the kudo for making the reservation.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Hosting a DDC dinner is a no-brainer, as Katie, Gary, David Desilva, Jim Tarantino and others will attest.

The best part is right after the meal. The restaurant did the heavy lifting, but you get the kudo for making the reservation.

Charlie, I think I'm up for the task and I'm really looking forward to Todd's food and presentation. As soon as I hear back from Todd with some dates, I'll post here and in the Yahoo DDC Forum.

Back home tonight after wife and I had a great dinner at Mandoline. Had heard that the tables are close but the table for two under the window that we had was perfect.

Wife stared with the mixed green salad which she pronounced a winner and I had the goat cheese pistachio cake which was one of the best starters I've had in quite some time. Tasty and decadent.

Entree's were slow cooked beef short ribs for Denise which was fork tender and great tasting with celery root puree and shallots.

I had the bbq glazed pork chop with applewood smoked bacon, sauerkraut and frites. The rich and smoky taste of the pork was cut nicely with the sauerkraut.

Another great entree.

Finished sharing a rich chocolate cherry gelato and dw had a coffee.

Service was teriffic and friendly, water glass never were half empty. This is one very, very good restaurant and a bargain to boot. $73.00 before tax and tip.

I highly recommend going there, I know we will be back.

Wish we lived closer.

If the dining club goes here please let us know. If the date is free, would love to attend.

Tom

Tom D

We had a business lunch there last week. Two of us had the decadent lobster truffle macaroni and cheese. Big pieces of fresh lobster meat, didn't lack in taste or taste frozen, it had taste! The mac and cheese was so tasty, rich, but not too rich. I would have liked a touch more truffle taste/aroma.

The third in the party had the crab cakes with homemade potato chips.

Three lunches, water for all, came to a ridiculously small amount of money. The mac and cheese was $12 a piece, wow, what a great price! Waitress was super.

We're in for the dinner. Let us know!

Philly Francophiles

• 4 months later...

As you might know, Egullet members along with DDC members, had a super couple of nights of dinner at Mandoline in May. Memories of that are on a different thread...

Last night, four of us dined at Mandoline.

It was exceptional!

Very creative, the food was super, the service was super, all in all, a perfect night.

Chef remembered us from our previous visits, and served this -Incroyable- amuse. It was little rounds (actually, not so little) of perfectly cooked filet, with a Madeira reduction, topped, I think, with tomatoes, balsamic, olive oil? The meat had taste, and was also tender.

Two of us started with the Lobster Truffle Macaroni and Cheese-with sharp cheddar and grilled brioche. ($10) Tasty. I always want more truffles, of course, and more chunks of lobster, but that's not to say there wasn't a sufficient amount of both; it's just that those are two things that I want pounds of. (grin)

Others had the Seared Jumbo Lumb Crabcake with a microgreen salad in a chipolte vinaigrette ($11), and Fried Calamari-with hot peppers and a lemon and garlic aioli ($8). The Calamari was a full plate, could have been an entree. It wasn't fried fried, just lightly and not at all greasy or fatty. Not being a cook, I don't know how they achieve this not fried at all state, when it's called fried... The aioli was simply divine.

I had the Sauteed Barramundi-with Lobster Ravioli in a truffle sweet corn broth ($24). This was a huge piece of Australian fish, and he served it with the skin sort of seared/fried? Again, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it was the most delectable piece of fish; tasty, tender, perfectly cooked. I ate the skin too. It came atop two, homemade Ravioli's. Delicious. The other three all ordered the Hoisin Glazed Duck Breast-with baby bok choy and raspberry scented jus ($21). I tasted it, and, again, it was tender, but also had TASTE, which I like my meat to have! Not just from the sauce, but the taste of the Duck was there, and the sauce complemented that.

Desserts, we had two Capogiro samplers, delicious Olive Oil, that spicy Mexican Chocolate, and a Basil. We also had S'mores. Graham cracker crust, ice cream, chocolate, marshmallow. GREAT.

The total was $175 with Double Espressos, without tip, for the four of us. (We brought our own wines, of course)

The service was delightful. We've had this waitress many times, she has a sense of humor, is talkative when you want her to be, but understands that we don't want to be best friends. She's professional, but also funny, and smiles. Real ones! That's something that's lost a lot lately in restaurants, I think. We're all there to enjoy, the customers: our food and experience. The staff in some restaurants lately, seem to not enjoy their job. Our waitress last night seemed to really enjoy her job. Okay, I'm here, I'm working, but it's okay.

We complimented Chef Todd. The food is creative and done well...Some of you will want to know that his 3 month old is doing well!

The restaurant is closed for lunches now, and accepts cash only. I believe he's also running a Mon-Thurs special for $30 for three courses-correct me if I'm wrong.

We went to an early movie, then stopped at Amada's bar for a cocktail. Mandoline's hostess called us when our table was ready. It truly was a perfect evening.

Philly Francophiles

The restaurant is closed for lunches now, and accepts cash only. I believe he's also running a Mon-Thurs special for $30 for three courses-correct me if I'm wrong.

There is most definitely a $30 Monday-Thursday special running at Mandoline. Chef Todd was kind enough to e-mail and tell me about it personally. The regular a la carte menu is also offered, but he and Chef Jeff are taking the prix fixe menu as an opportunity to create some new dishes and test drive some new ideas. It's a win-win for everyone, but especially for the diners! It's like Restaurant Week all the time!

I'll definitely be stopping in there again soon on an "early-movie-at-the-Ritz-then-dinner-at-Mandoline" night. I can hardly wait! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There is most definitely a $30 Monday-Thursday special running at Mandoline. Chef Todd was kind enough to e-mail and tell me about it personally. The regular a la carte menu is also offered, but he and Chef Jeff are taking the prix fixe menu as an opportunity to create some new dishes and test drive some new ideas. It's a win-win for everyone, but especially for the diners! It's like Restaurant Week all the time!

I'll definitely be stopping in there again soon on an "early-movie-at-the-Ritz-then-dinner-at-Mandoline" night. I can hardly wait! :smile:

Hmm, maybe our DDC dinners last May had something to do with this.

In any event, it's funny because I've been meaning to get back there. I truly enjoyed the place and the entire staff. Susan, your dishes sounded really great. I'd like to meet Chef Todd this time out and congratulate him on their baby.

I suspect you might be on to something, Jeff.

I had the privelege of talking with Todd for a Daily News article that will appear on 9/7, and I found him to be fascinating, driven, and totally devoted to his craft. I think this $30 prix fixe may be one of the truly amazing bargains in town right now.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I suspect you might be on to something, Jeff.

I had the privelege of talking with Todd for a Daily News article that will appear on 9/7, and I found him to be fascinating, driven, and totally devoted to his craft.  I think this $30 prix fixe may be one of the truly amazing bargains in town right now.

Let's hope it spreads to other places in town. Really, $30 for food of this caliber is an amzaing deal. Thursday nights are good for me, maybe another group dinner is in the works.

• 2 months later...

Update on Mandolie. As of 11/5/06 Mandoline will be open Sundays for dinner only from 5-9PM. The amazing $30 Monday-Thursday dinner deal continues. Here's the latest menu update:

Mandoline

3 courses for $30

Monday- Thursday

Appetizers (choice of one)

Humbolt Fog and roasted beet “Salad” with balsamic glaze

Appareled- venison ragu and grated Parmesan

House Smoked Salmon and Frisee Salad- bacon lardoons and mustard vinaigrette

Entrees (choice of one)

Slow Cooked Veal Breast- caramelized salsify and pear compote

Pumpkin Ravioli- broccoli rabe and Grana Padano

Sautéed Salmon- butternut squash risotto, beet essence, and horseradish crème fraiche

Dessert (choice of one)

Ask server for dessert selections

Coupons do not apply to this menu

Mandoline · 213 Chestnut Street · 213 Chestnut Street · Philadelphia, PA

(215) 238-9403

www.mandolineoldcity.com

Cash Only

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

And the new fall/winter menu at Mandoline:

APPETIZERS

Cauliflower Soup- black trumpet mushrooms and truffle oil $5.5

Beet Salad- roasted beets with Humbolt Fog cheese and balsamic reduction $8

Mussels- shallots, amber beer, and curry essence $9.5

Smoked Salmon Salad- house smoked salmon and frisse with bacon lardoons and mustard vinaigrette $7.5

Goat Cheese Pistachio Cake - black mission fig and balsamic glaze $11

Lobster Truffle Macaroni and Cheese – with sharp cheddar and grilled Brioche $10.5

Duck Rillette- duck confit, Dijon mustard, and cornichons with baguette toast $8.5

Venison Ragout- with pappardelle pasta and Grana Padano $9

ENTREES

Filet Mignon- Foie Gras croquette, Madeira Jus, and marinated sun-dried cherries $28.5

Red Snapper- wild rice, roasted chestnuts and cranberry beurre noisette $24

Pan Roasted Cod- shitake noodle cake, grilled scallion and ginger scented apple jus $21.50

European Chicken Breast- roasted garlic mashed potatoes and haricot verts in an apple brandy reduction $19

Grilled Swordfish- butternut squash risotto, horseradish crème fraiche and beet coulis $22.5

Veal- slow-cooked veal breast, caramelized salsify and vanilla infused pear compote $24

Duck- five-spiced smoked duck breast, sweet potato pave, and sweet soy $21

Stuffed Acorn Squash- quinoa, ratatouille, and arugula pesto $12

YUM! I think I'ma gonna be in to see Chef Todd very soon!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

And the new fall/winter menu at Mandoline:

APPETIZERS

Cauliflower Soup- black trumpet mushrooms and truffle oil $5.5

Beet Salad- roasted beets with Humbolt Fog cheese and balsamic reduction $8

Mussels- shallots, amber beer, and curry essence $9.5

Smoked Salmon Salad- house smoked salmon and frisse with bacon lardoons and mustard vinaigrette $7.5

Goat Cheese Pistachio Cake - black mission fig and balsamic glaze  $11

Lobster Truffle Macaroni and Cheese – with sharp cheddar and grilled Brioche $10.5

Duck Rillette- duck confit, Dijon mustard, and cornichons with baguette toast $8.5

Venison Ragout- with pappardelle pasta and Grana Padano $9

ENTREES

Filet Mignon- Foie Gras croquette, Madeira Jus, and marinated sun-dried cherries $28.5

Red Snapper- wild rice, roasted chestnuts and cranberry beurre noisette $24

Pan Roasted Cod- shitake noodle cake, grilled scallion and ginger scented apple jus $21.50

European Chicken Breast- roasted garlic mashed potatoes and haricot verts in an apple brandy reduction $19

Grilled Swordfish- butternut squash risotto, horseradish crème fraiche and beet coulis $22.5

Veal- slow-cooked veal breast, caramelized salsify and vanilla infused pear compote $24

Duck- five-spiced smoked duck breast, sweet potato pave, and sweet soy $21

Stuffed Acorn Squash- quinoa, ratatouille, and arugula pesto $12

YUM!  I think I'ma gonna be in to see Chef Todd very soon!

Holy Shamoley that's an amazing menu, confirming for me what I've felt about Chef Todd Lean since I've met him and had the privilege of eating his food: he is a chef to be treasured.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

The 3 course menu has changed since.

First course

Little Neck Clams- chorizo, lemon, and roasted garlic

Crispy Calamari Salad- sweet soy and ginger vinaigrette and baby greens

Arugula Salad- goat cheese and Fuji apples and red wine vinaigrette

Entrees

Pan Roasted Quail- pumpkin polenta, grilled asparagus and natural herb jus

Grilled Hanger Steakl- roasted garlic potato puree and Merlot reduction

Lobster Ravioli- broccoli rabe and jumbo lump crabmeat

and don't forget dessert

Caleb's Smores-Warm Chocolate brownie with marshmellow gelato, graham cracker, and topped of with caramel and chocolate sauce

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

Stopped into Mandoline for dinner this evening and predictably everything was delicious! My dining companion had never been in before and was very favorably impressed with everything, as well as the personalized service. We both opted for the prix fixe menu and tried the arugula salad, the clams and chorizo. the hangar steak and the pan roasted quail. We washed it back with a bottle of Arrowood Reserve Cabernet 1996 that I'd brought back from Sonoma several years ago as a gift for my friend. Mighty tasty stuff! I was sure she'd drank it by now, but I was the lucky recipient of her waiting to share it with me. Todd was kind enough to send over a couple of tastes for us as well. That cauliflower soup is truly amazing! Very earthy and seasonal. We loved it! Good Capogiro Sweet Potato-Praline gelato to finish off and we rolled out stuffed, fat and happy! Service was friendly and efficient as always. Go check out the new menu folks - you won't be disappointed.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The 3 course menu has changed since.

First course

Little Neck Clams- chorizo, lemon, and roasted garlic

Crispy Calamari Salad- sweet soy and ginger vinaigrette and baby greens

Arugula Salad- goat cheese and Fuji apples and red wine vinaigrette

Entrees

Pan Roasted Quail- pumpkin polenta, grilled asparagus and natural herb jus

Grilled Hanger Steakl- roasted garlic potato puree and Merlot reduction

Lobster Ravioli- broccoli rabe and jumbo lump crabmeat

and don't forget dessert

Caleb's Smores-Warm Chocolate brownie with marshmellow gelato, graham cracker, and topped of with caramel and chocolate  sauce

Menu sounds wonderful..I'll get back soon. I was wondering why the cash only policy. Does saving a few points on cc's outweigh the convenience of accepting cards? No criticism intended, just that most people usually use plastic instead of cash.

Jeff, sometimes the charges are just more than they're worth for a small business operator. And then there's the administrative time spent making sure the credit card deposits are accurately making it to your bank account. Sometimes the Visa/MC portion is correct, but the Amex portion is missing, or whatever. Mistakes happen all the time, trust me I used to be the one chasing it down! I suspect Todd is busy enough not to want to have to be messing with that.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Jeff, sometimes the charges are just more than they're worth for a small business operator.  And then there's the administrative time spent making sure the credit card deposits are accurately making it to your bank account.  Sometimes the Visa/MC portion is correct, but the Amex portion is missing, or whatever.  Mistakes happen all the time, trust me I used to be the one chasing it down! I suspect Todd is busy enough not to want to have to be messing with that.

Yes of course this makes sense. It is a small business in the literal sense of the word as well.

I'd like to do another outing soon to take advantage of this menu though not looking to do another DDC dinner. Anyone?