• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandoline

Jeff L

Lunch with a client right before Xmas was amazing. I had lobster truffle mac and cheese, not a lot of truffle taste (darn it), but delish! My client saw the small portion and thought I'd never finish, since he presumed it was too rich. It wasn't and I did, no problem.

Others had the crab cake and I think a BBQ beef sandwich on a brioche or something similar, my memory says.

So, Katie, and all who responded earlier in this thread. When in February are we doing an egullet dinner there?

Whenever you want to organize one.

Although much like Katie, my wallet very much prefers a wait until March or even April.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

A March DDC has been booked and invites for that event have just gone out. So April is practical, and hopefully in the true original spirit of DDC, affordable to everyone.

Any suggestions for May, June, July, etc.?

We STILL , after 4 years, have yet to try Ethiopian, Korean, German/Austrian, Japanese, red gravy Italian, Vegetarian, Jamaican, West Indian, Senegalese, Soul Food, or even a joint venture of Pizza Club and DDC.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

May I suggest any DDC dinner in April after the 20th. Not because that I am a CPA but there is also Passover which starts on April 12.

Thanks.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

May I suggest any DDC dinner in April after the 20th. Not because that I am a CPA but there is also Passover which starts on April 12.

Thanks.

And, hey, we've never tried a PASSOVER dinner either! Now whoever pulls that one off is a true Jedi master.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I've already spoken to Chef Todd Lean and he's happy to have us whenever, so we're good to go. He's busy working on a new menu, so hopefully we'll be able to sample some of those dishes in March/April.

Count me in! I would love to meet all of you.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

We STILL , after 4 years, have yet to try Ethiopian, Korean, German/Austrian, red gravy Italian, Vegetarian, Jamaican, Senegalese, Soul Food, or even a joint venture of Pizza Club and DDC.

Dangerous pizza? Wow, what a concept!

Anyway, as it looks like the cash flow is about to improve significantly, in a month or two, I would be willing to see if Amare Solomon's widow might be game to host a dinner.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just ate here for restaurant week and I agree with Katie that it's location near the Ritz theaters make for an excellent dinner and a movie night. Especially on Wednesdays when you add the $1 parking (after 5pm) at the Ritz East parking garage and discounted admission ($6 all night) at the Ritz theaters.

I was fortunate to get an early reservation on short notice and we had a very enjoyable meal. I had the seared flank steak and my wife had the poached pear salad. The steak appetizer itself was enough for a meal, with a few slices of lightly seared pieces of steak with the goat cheese crème brulee, made for an interesting mix of tastes that was outstanding. My wife kept raving about her pear salad, which she stated was one of the best she’s had in awhile (if ever!) The slices of poached pear along with the pecans were amazing. I saw a lot of people order the stuffed acorn squash, which if I wasn’t allergic to crab, I would have gotten instead of the steak. I overheard everyone raving about that appetizer.

Next was the Intermezzo, which was a nice lemon sherbet (or was it mint?). I had the crispy atlantic salmon with black sticky rice and Swiss chard in a mussel lemongrass broth and my wife got the five spiced cured duck breast in a herb jus with vanilla-scented sweet potato puree. I really liked the salmon, it was very fresh and the rice in that broth was a nice mix and as my wife commented ‘added a nice ‘fishy’ (mussel) taste to the whole meal.’ My wife’s duck was tasty with the sweet potato puree. For dessert, we got the chocolate chip cheesecake and a fudge brownie ala mode (with Capogiro’s olive gelato).

Overall, it was a wonderful meal and it was a great start that ended nicely with a viewing of the very funny ‘Tristram Shandy’ at the Ritz.

My wife and I just ate here for restaurant week and I agree with Katie that it's location near the Ritz theaters make for an excellent dinner and a movie night.  Especially on Wednesdays when you add the $1 parking (after 5pm) at the Ritz East parking garage and discounted admission ($6 all night) at the Ritz theaters.

I was fortunate to get an early reservation on short notice and we had a very enjoyable meal.  I had the seared flank steak and my wife had the poached pear salad.  The steak appetizer itself was enough for a meal, with a few slices of lightly seared pieces of steak with the goat cheese crème brulee, made for an interesting mix of tastes that was outstanding.  My wife kept raving about her pear salad, which she stated was one of the best she’s had in awhile (if ever!)  The slices of poached pear along with the pecans were amazing.  I saw a lot of people order the stuffed acorn squash, which if I wasn’t allergic to crab, I would have gotten instead of the steak.  I overheard everyone raving about that appetizer.

Next was the Intermezzo, which was a nice lemon sherbet (or was it mint?).  I had the crispy atlantic salmon with black sticky rice and Swiss chard in a mussel lemongrass broth and my wife got the five spiced cured duck breast in a herb jus with vanilla-scented sweet potato puree.  I really liked the salmon, it was very fresh and the rice in that broth was a nice mix and as my wife commented ‘added a nice ‘fishy’ (mussel) taste to the whole meal.’  My wife’s duck was tasty with the sweet potato puree.  For dessert, we got the chocolate chip cheesecake and a fudge brownie ala mode (with Capogiro’s olive gelato). 

Overall, it was a wonderful meal and it was a great start that ended nicely with a viewing of the very funny ‘Tristram Shandy’ at the Ritz.

Robert - thanks for the heads up on the cheap movie night details. What a great idea! A $7 movie w/parking and a nice dinner at Mandoline. Outstanding!

You do mean the garage that actually has the entrance on 2nd Street just south of Chestnut, correct? I walk by that every single day on my way to/from work. I didn't know about the after 5PM deal so that's a great piece of information.

And your dinner sounds like it was delicious as well. Perhaps Chef Todd will pipe up and give us the details about the sorbet. It sounds quite refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We had a great meal there during restaurant week. My husband and I went with another couple and sampled the entire menu!!

I especially like the Mediterranean eggplant with mushrooms, onions, peppers and Israeli couscous, but it was all excellent.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Chef Todd.

Meg

Meg Hudson

Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery

www.domainehudson.com

...You do mean the garage that actually has the entrance on 2nd Street just south of Chestnut, correct?  I walk by that every single day on my way to/from work.  I didn't know about the after 5PM deal so that's a great piece of information.

Yes that's the one, it's the Autopark at Olde City. I found out about it recently from the parking authority updated website and I even confirmed it with a phone call, since they don't really 'advertise' it with any signs or anything. I believe the other Autopark in Jefferson (on 10th) has a similar deal.

I am glad you enjoyed your meal. The sorbet was pineapple mint from Capogiro.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

My husband and I were there a week or so ago after seeing Cache at the Ritz East on Friday night. (Love the whole parking thing, we always park in the 2nd street garage when we go to Ritz 5 or Ritz East. On weekends it's only $4.50 for the time it takes to see a movie and eat a leisurely dinner, as long as you arrive after 5 pm.)

Everything was delicious, but the most outstanding item was the mac & cheese with lobster and truffle appetizer. Big chunks of tender lobster, and a smooth, creamy, tasty mac & cheese. Quite wonderful. Hubby is still talking about it.

I had pork with "wild mushroom bread pudding." It was extremely tasty, but the "bread pudding," which I enjoyed, was really a very moist stuffing baked in a large casserole. I had been intrigued, being a pastry person, and ordered it to see how he would make a savory custard dish.

The salmon and chicken entrees were also excellent. Sorry, I just saw this thread, and I can't remember everything we ate a couple of weeks back, since for some reason I have been eating out quite a bit more than usual over the past few weeks.

My one complaint is that our table wasn't ready yet and there is no place to stand inside on a cold winter's night. We gave the hostess a cell number and waited at the Phila Fish & Co bar til our table was ready, which worked out okay.

We will definitely go again, and when we do I will report immediately, before I forget everything.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

My husband and I were there a week or so ago after seeing Cache at the Ritz East on Friday night. (Love the whole parking thing, we always park in the 2nd street garage when we go to Ritz 5 or Ritz East. On weekends it's only $4.50 for the time it takes to see a movie and eat a leisurely dinner, as long as you arrive after 5 pm.)

Everything was delicious, but the most outstanding item was the mac & cheese with lobster and truffle appetizer. Big chunks of tender lobster, and a smooth, creamy, tasty mac & cheese. Quite wonderful. Hubby is still talking about it.

I had pork with "wild mushroom bread pudding." It was extremely tasty, but the "bread pudding," which I enjoyed, was really a very moist stuffing baked in a large casserole. I had been intrigued, being a pastry person, and ordered it to see how he would make a savory custard dish.

The salmon and chicken entrees were also excellent. Sorry, I just saw this thread, and I can't remember everything we ate a couple of weeks back, since for some reason I have been eating out quite a bit more than usual over the past few weeks.

My one complaint is that our table wasn't ready yet and there is no place to stand inside on a cold winter's night. We gave the hostess a cell number and waited at the Phila Fish & Co bar til our table was ready, which worked out okay.

We will definitely go again, and when we do I will report immediately, before I forget everything.

Eileen

I use a creme brulee' recipe, but i exclude the sugar and vanilla and add fresh herbs and nutmeg. I cook them in ramikens just as you would the brulee. Our new menu just started last week, the pork loin was taken off, and the menu was revamped a little.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

I use a creme brulee' recipe, but i exclude the sugar and vanilla and add fresh herbs and nutmeg. I cook them in ramikens just as you would the brulee. Our new menu just started last week, the pork loin was taken off, and the menu was revamped a little.

Interesting. I didn't pick up the cream or eggs in the wild mushroom bread pudding, but it was quite moist and tasty nevertheless. Sorry I confused it as having been baked in a large casserole. I'm anxious to try the new menu. Maybe this weekend after a movie.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

• 4 weeks later...

After 2 excellent meals at Amada, the wife and I decided to try the itty bitty BYOB bistro just a few doors down that is Mandoline. I counted about 38 seats so it is cozy and quaint, with nice art work on the walls and Miles playing on the sound system. The open kitchen is small and does not intrude into the small space at all.

We were hungry so wound up having apps, entrees and desserts, all of which were excellent. Portions are very large (probably a bit too large). For apps we had a heaping bowl of mussels done in a coconut curry gravy that was as good as I've had at any Thai restaurant. The mussels were cooked to perfection and we sopped up the gravy with the nice bread we had. We also had corriander crusted seared tuna with a tomato chutney. Very high grade tuna (I'm no expert though) that was excellent as well. For entrees we both ordered the special (atypical that we order the same thing) which was a perfectly cooked piece of moist and tender halibut resting atop a bed of pancetta ristotto with a pureed aspargus sauce, excellent. For desserts we had a deish hazelnut torte and refreshing grapefruit and campari sorbet served with la colombe coffee.

From start to finish an excellent meal that we enjoyed a lot (can you tell?). From soup to nuts with tax and tip it was $110, well worth it we thought. As I said, it really was too much food for us and my wife brought half of her entree home with her. Service was relaxed and excellent. I would recommend Mandoline very highly and we will definitely return! :smile:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

After 2 excellent meals at Amada, the wife and I decided to try the itty bitty BYOB bistro just a few doors down that is Mandoline. I counted about 38 seats so it is cozy and quaint, with nice art work on the walls and Miles playing on the sound system. The open kitchen is small and does not intrude into the small space at all.

We were hungry so wound up having apps, entrees and desserts, all of which were excellent. Portions are very large (probably a bit too large). For apps we had a heaping bowl of mussels done in a coconut curry gravy that was as good as I've had at any Thai restaurant. The mussels were cooked to perfection and we sopped up the gravy with the nice bread we had. We also had corriander crusted seared tuna with a tomato chutney. Very high grade tuna (I'm no expert though) that was excellent as well. For entrees we both ordered the special (atypical that we order the same thing) which was a perfectly cooked piece of moist and tender halibut resting atop a bed of pancetta ristotto with a pureed aspargus sauce, excellent. For desserts we had a deish hazelnut torte and refreshing grapefruit and campari sorbet served with la colombe coffee.

From start to finish an excellent meal that we enjoyed a lot (can you tell?). From soup to nuts with tax and tip it was $110, well worth it we thought. As I said, it really was too much food for us and my wife brought half of her entree home with her. Service was relaxed and excellent. I would recommend Mandoline very highly and we will definitely return! :smile:

So David, as I posted at the very start of this thread, was the halibut roasted? We've yet to go there, probably because it is so close to Amada!

Jeff, the halibut was not basted/roasted but (I believe) pan seared. And, as LeBan stated, was extremely moist and tender, cooked to perfection. Completely different place than Amada but very very good. I would recommend it highly!

Here's a more recent menu from Mandoline, to give you all an idea of the type of cuisine and price structure:

------

APPETIZERS

Seasonal soup – $5.5

Caesar Salad - garlic croutons and shaved parmesan cheese $7

Mixed Green Salad - with haricot verts and shallots in a mustard vinaigrette $ 6.5

Mussels – in a red coconut curry sauce with Thai basil and lime $9.5

Fried Calamari- with hot peppers and a lemon garlic aioli $8

Goat Cheese Pistachio Cake - black mission fig and balsamic glaze $10

Lobster Truffle Macaroni and Cheese – with sharp cheddar and grilled Brioche $9.5

Stuffed Granny Smith Apple- with duck confit risotto $8.5

ENTREES

Slow-Cooked Beef Short-Ribs- celery root puree and pars lied shallots $26

Mustard Crusted Pork Loin – wild mushroom bread pudding and a caramelized apple jus $21

Seared Striped Bass – saffron roasted fingerling potatoes in Pernod sauce $24.5

Grilled Tuna - goat cheese and chive potato puree with a balsamic port reduction $22.5

Rigatoni – wild mushroom and veal ragout with Grana Padano and herbed breadcrumbs $17.5

European Chicken Breast - roasted garlic mashed potatoes and haricot verts in an apple brandy reduction $18.5

-----

Chef Todd and staff are putting out some very sophisticated dishes from that tiny little kitchen, and the food and service are an amazing value. For those of you that haven't had the opportunity yet, I'd suggest checking out Mandoline at your earliest opportunity.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here's a more recent menu from Mandoline, to give you all an idea of the type of cuisine and price structure:

------

APPETIZERS

Seasonal soup – $5.5

Caesar Salad - garlic croutons and shaved parmesan cheese  $7

Mixed Green Salad - with haricot verts and shallots in a mustard vinaigrette $ 6.5

Mussels – in a red coconut curry sauce with Thai basil and lime $9.5

Fried Calamari- with hot peppers and a lemon garlic aioli $8

Goat Cheese Pistachio Cake - black mission fig and balsamic glaze  $10

Lobster Truffle Macaroni and Cheese – with sharp cheddar and grilled Brioche $9.5

Stuffed Granny Smith Apple- with duck confit risotto  $8.5

ENTREES

Slow-Cooked Beef Short-Ribs- celery root puree and pars lied shallots $26

Mustard Crusted Pork Loin – wild mushroom bread pudding and a caramelized apple jus $21

Seared Striped Bass – saffron roasted fingerling potatoes in Pernod sauce $24.5

Grilled Tuna - goat cheese and chive potato puree with a balsamic port reduction  $22.5

Rigatoni – wild mushroom and veal ragout with Grana Padano and herbed breadcrumbs  $17.5

European Chicken Breast - roasted garlic mashed potatoes and haricot verts in an apple brandy reduction  $18.5

-----

Chef Todd and staff are putting out some very sophisticated dishes from that tiny little kitchen, and the food and service are an amazing value.  For those of you that haven't had the opportunity yet, I'd suggest checking out Mandoline at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks for this Katie. I hate menus like this because literally all of the entree choices sound really great. I think this is a place to visit with a group of 6 or so to try all the different entrees and appetizers. I know the space is tiny as I walked by it a few times on my way to Amada and am not sure if they even have tables larger than 4 tops. In any event, I will be going and soon.

Jeff, for a party of six they push a 2 top together with a 4 top and it works just fine (as they did when we were there with tables by the window). I think your idea is a great one because as you can see from the menu Katie posted, we did have a difficult time choosing what to eat!

Jeff, for a party of six they push a 2 top together with a 4 top and it works just fine (as they did when we were there with tables by the window). I think your idea is a great one because as you can see from the menu Katie posted, we did have a difficult time choosing what to eat!

Maybe it's time for an EG outing, anyone?

Maybe it's time for an EG outing, anyone?

We passed by yesterday...looks great. Count us in.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I think Jeff is being nominated to host a DDC dinner at Mandoline.  Well it's about time.

It does sound good. You think they're set up for that kind of headcount, though?

Thye can hold what they can hold; we'd obviously have a cap on RSVPs.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large