• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrie Cerino's is Worth the Trip! - Cleveland

NancyH

There are absolutely no words to convey just how jealous I am at this moment.

I touch down in Cleveland in 36 days!! and I know where I am headed first. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 6 months later...

Another fabulous meal at Carrie Cerino's last Friday!

Since it was not the first Friday of the month, it was not a Blue Egg Ravioli day. So, our group of 7 adults and 2 infants sampled a couple of the other appetizers, as well as salumi boards. (I'm kidding about the infants eating the appetizers and salumi - though they did get their first taste of bread and butter!)

We had Artichoke Hearts, which I neglected to photograph, but which I did photograph at the Heartland Gathering Food Tsunami:

gallery_21337_4905_155552.jpg

What an awesome way to use an Escargot pan!

We also sampled the Sauerkraut balls:

gallery_21337_4199_104483.jpg

Most restaurants that serve sauerkraut balls use food service-frozen. Not Carrie Cerino's!

gallery_21337_4199_90683.jpg

beef, ham, bread, eggs, onions, garlic, parsely, Colemans dry mustard, salt, white pepper.

The appetizers were almost a meal in themselves! And of course, each dinner is accompanied by soup or salad and a side. I love Dominic's fish chowder; it always gets me singing!

gallery_21337_4199_76199.jpg

"Fills you up from your top to your toenails"

After the soup/salad course - the entrees came out:

gallery_21337_4199_67142.jpg

Braised Short Ribs Osso Bucco with Risotto

gallery_21337_4199_130641.jpg

Berkshire Pork Chops

gallery_21337_4199_102196.jpg

Norcian Lentils with House Cured Red Pepper Guanciale, House Made Sausage, House Made Focaccia Bread and Red Peppers

And last but not least - since I didn't have a BER - I had to have this:

gallery_21337_4199_89946.jpg

Blue Egg Spaghetti Carbonara

This dish is pure bliss on a plate - generously topped with the house-made Red Pepper Guanciale and coarse black pepper. Oh, and speaking of the guanciale - here's a great photo that I underexposed when I first took it, but I was able to manipulate it into post-ability:

gallery_21337_4199_131921.jpg

Dominic Shows Us His Pride and Joy

For more details on our latest food adventures - look up my blog!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some photos from recent visits to CCs:

gallery_21337_4199_35946.jpg

Pulled Pork Canelloni

This item was still on special as of last weekend - tender pasta-based crepes filled with succulent strips of pork, and topped with fresh Ricotta and tomato sauce - yum!

gallery_21337_4199_67507.jpg

House-Made Gnocchi with Mama's White Sauce

gallery_21337_4199_80939.jpg

About once a year, I just have to indulge in these pillows of goodness, bathed in the white sauce Dominic now calls "Norcian Macaroni & Cheese". It was fabulous, as always.

gallery_21337_4199_71241.jpg

Those Amazing Norcian Lentils with Dominic's own Red Pepper Guanciale

We also enjoyed a new Gelato flavor - Amaretto - and a live 7 piece band in the Under the C's Lounge (no cover, no minimum) last Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

It is with a most heavy heart that I report the following, as posted on the Cleveland.com Food & Wine Forum yesterday afternoon by Chef Dominic's good friend and confidant Linda Griffith:

On January 29 of 2008 Carmen C. Cerino, Co-Owner of Carrie Cerino's Ristorante & Party Center, became the sole owner and operator of the business. Brothers Dominic A. Cerino III and Michael J. Cerino have decided to retire from the family business, and pursue other interests in their respective fields. Carmen's wife, Jo Marie Cerino, will join in on the day-to-day operations of the business.

Dominic has added as follows:

Many thanks for the well wishes on post 16725, they are very much appreciated. After 36 years of working and spending the last decade being the CEO of CC�s I have decided to take a sabbatical. Time to recharge the batteries, reclaim a life, plant a garden, cruise the rural roads of Ohio and chase the Frau around the house ;)

Thanks to my brother Carmen and his wife Jo Maria, CC�s remains in the Cerino family and deserves the support of the Cleveland community as one of the longest standing family operated restaurants in our community. There are many wonderful and gifted employees who along with my brother Carmen and his wife Jo Maria will continue to produce the foods that Carrie Cerino�s are known for. Please continue to support CC�s; 4 generations of Cerino�s have worked in this building and have laid a firm foundation for its continued success.

There is a lot of history there and it will be hard to walk away from the memories but it is time. My last day is February 10th and all of us will be at the [Our Lady of the Wayside] event next Thursday! [for information on this event] I hope to see you there!

Ironically, Bob and I dined there with a group of friends last Saturday, not knowing this was coming. Photos and such are on my blog.

I am going to miss Dominic's vision and talent and wish him all the best.

The good news is that Bar Cento in Ohio City seems to be the up and coming place for cutting edge Italian-inspired food in Cleveland - I'll post separately on that (or just look at my blog)!

• 5 years later...