• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peaches

Terrasanct

peach ice cream or, if no ice cream freezer, peach milkshakes.

two crust, baked peach pie.

only dessert? how about breakfast? peach plaut. it is a mennonite pastry. basically a slightly rich yeast dough, rolled flat onto a sheet pan. cover with overlapping sliced peaches, drizzle with a little heavy cream, top with a streusel topping and bake.

i just five minutes ago had a bowl of sliced peaches with Jersey Cream Yogurt from Trader Joe's. delicious.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

That pastry sounds interesting. Do you have a good recipe for it?

I made peach gelato the other day, but one of the peaches was bad so it wasn't very peachy. I've got a big bowl of sliced peaches in the kitchen right now. I know I'll have to freeze some, too.

Right now we're having peaches with cream and granola. Yum.

The peach pie sounds good, too. I bought a peach pie a few weeks ago and it was made with canned peaches, so I've been wanting a good one since then.

terrasanct: you can use any slightly rich white bread dough. this is one i've used (with a few minor changes and my own streusel recipe, which i prefer) from Mennonite Foods & Folkways from South Russia, by Norma Jost Voth. bread and fruit, simple and good.

Yeasted Plaut

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup cream

2 oz/58g butter

3-1/2 oz/100g sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbsp/14g active dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

1/4 cup lukewarm water

1 egg

3-3/4 to 4 cups/590g bread flour

Heat milk, cream butter, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast and the 1 tsp sugar in the warm water. Set aside until active and bubbly.

Beat your egg in the mixing bowl. Add both the yeast and the lukewarm milk mixture to egg. Add about 3 cups of the flour and mix with paddle for five minutes. Add more flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky. Switch to dough hook (or knead by hand) for five to eight minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover with plastic and leave to rise in warm spot for one and a half hours.

Roll dough out to fit a 1/2 sheet pan (or can be split in 3 and put each piece in a 9" round cake pan). Cover and let rise for half an hour. Lay your sliced fruit in rows, overlapping as you go. Cover with:

Streusel

3 oz butter

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

Mix together until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over fruit. You can add a little cinnamon or nutmeg or any spice that will complement whatever fruit you are using.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes for the large plaut, 30 minutes if baking in three round tins.

I also love rhubarb plaut and plum plaut or pluot plaut (say THAT fast three times!), and it's so nice when the seasons change...apples, sour cherries, pears...

A more dessert-like plaut is made on a pastry crust or sometimes on a biscuit-like dough.

Edited to say don't slice your fruit too thin...you want a good ratio of fruit to bread.

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I made the duff and we had it for breakfast. Yum!

I had to make a few changes because carbs in the morning don't agree with me. Instead of the flour, etc., I used Carbquik. It's a low carb baking mix, the first one that doesn't taste like crap. It's not quite as good as regular flour, but it's a lot lower carb, and worth the trade-off, in my opinion. Subbed Splenda for sugar. I added cinnamon and nutmeg to the duff and served it dribbled with cream. It was really good, and so easy to make.

I want to try the plaut, too. I'll make that recipe without substitutions because I don't think it will work otherwise. I'll have to wait for a cooler day, though.

This is great stuff, even if not perfected yet. It's like a lower carb Bisquik. I don't use Bisquik in my kitchen, but I'm glad to have something palatable and convenient.

It's made by Tova Industries. It's been out only a year or so. Netrition.com carries it.

http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/page1.html -- Information

http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html -- To buy it.

It's made with something called Carbalose flour, which has 90% fewer net carbs than regular flour. I've read that the flour itself is now available, but I haven't tried it yet.

Any recipe that can be made with Bisquik can be made with Carbquik. I've used it for biscuits, waffles and pancakes, cobblers, fruit crisps, and to thicken gravy, among other things. It sometimes has a bit of a taste that's different, but it's not bad. The biscuits don't always rise very well, but the pancakes work out just fine.

The Low Carb Friends bulletin board has a ton of good recipes to try with it.

Good luck to your dad--I think this could be a big help.

You could make a peach preserve by just adding 2 cups of sugar, 3 table spoons of rice wine vinegar and 3 cups of water. Cook it all down on medium high heat for about an hour and a half stirring every 5 minutes

Edited by jasper (log)

That sounds like an interesting preserve. Does the vinegar serve the same purpose as lemon juice?

As far as the poundcake, yes, please post the recipe. Thanks.

I used some more of the fresh peaches last night by serving them with the chocolate gelato. Mmmm....

And just in case you'd like something refreshing to imbibe while you're busy working in that hot kitchen, let me suggest Peach Sangria.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I used Carbquik.  It's a low carb baking mix, the first one that doesn't taste like crap. 

Can you tell us what's in the mix, or where you got it? I'm always looking for ways to cut the carbs in my baked goods, for my diabetic father.

Make jam! Easy to do with those nice ripe peaches; 10 minute task. Take one pound of peeled and cored peaches, add one cup of sugar, one tablespoon of lemon juice. Squeeze it all together with your hand so that it is well blended. Some chuncks are okay. Cook on high heat stirring constantly until it thickens; about 7 minutes. The minute you sense that it is thickening take it off the heat and keep stirring for about three minutes. When it finally cools it will be a wonderful consistency that you can use immediately.