• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauerbraten

It's way out of season, but for some reason I want Sauerbraten. It's Barbra-Jo's fault. So I am after a 5 lb rump roast that has been larded. I phoned Jurgen at the Black Forest Deli, but he says he can't lard it for me. Is it hard, could I do it myself? Is there another good German butcher in town?

Mark.

Larding is quite simple...you either need a larding needle or a sharp paring knife. Here's some tips for you, from some throwback notes from cooking school - I haven't larded anything in a long time!

A larding needle—a special tool with a pointed tip and hollow cavity—can be found in gourmet stores.

• The fat used for larding is typically pork fat (known as “lardons”), which many butchers sell precut.

• Add flavor by soaking the lardons in wine or brandy, then rolling them in salt, pepper or herbs before insertion in the meat.

• No larding needle? Pierce the meat with a long, thin knife, then force the fat strips through the holes. When you do it this way, any seasoning on the lardon’s surface will come off at the opening as you’re forcing it through.

• Insert the lardons across the meat’s grain.

• Slice cooked larded meat cuts on the diagonal so the fat strips look like a scattering of small white dots.

Good Luck!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

It's way out of season, but for some reason I want Sauerbraten.  It's Barbra-Jo's fault.  So I am after a 5 lb rump roast that has been larded.  I phoned Jurgen at the Black Forest Deli, but he says he can't lard it for me.  Is it hard, could I do it myself?  Is there another good German butcher in town?

Mark.

Mark:

I have been preparing "Sauerbraten" for many years in Restaurants or at home and we never used a "Larded Piece of Beef".

The cut most preferred at "Luchows Restaurant" in NYC is now known as "Triangle Tip" or Bottom Sirloin but it works with Sirloin Tip or even Eye Round if allowed enough time to Marinate under weights to cure properly before "Pot Roasting" at a low heat together with the Marinate. There are many recipes available on the Internet, including Jan Mitchel's from the Luchows Cookbook.

Rump Roasts can be cut from the Bottom Round or the Top Round and if you still prefer using this cut the Bottom Round will still be firm after pot roasting while the Top Round is two wide and large for a family roast unless the Butcher splits the roast.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

My grandmother (and my mom) never larded their roasts either. My mom always used a chuck roast- and marinated for 5 days. The smell of saurbraten cooking (with red cabbage and potato pancakes) reminds of being little- yum!

I was just going by what the book that B-Jo sold me says. Seems like a very comprehensive book. I typically judge the quality of a book (cooking or not) partially by the depth of its index. This one has both German and English and extensive indices. It failed my initial glances by not including a recipe for Sauerer Zipfel, but it's ok, that one is quite simple.

I'm pretty sure that my Mom never used any larded roasts either. I guess I will just go with the triangle tip roast. Thanks everyone!