• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing bowls

jackal10

This is the next to the largest of this set of Tramontina bowls I bought at Star Restaurant supply in about 1990.  It is a 13 quart, 12 liter.

The biggest one is currently full of a bunch of cast-iron molds and a couple of other things.  I think it is a 15 quart.

This one has a lot of utensil marks in the bottom from extra-large whisks, huge spoons and my favorite large Danish dough whisk which is so handy in mixing thicker doughs and batters.  

This was also the bowl I used for my more energetic sourdough starters - before I got my extra-large Cambro containers.  

HPIM4190.thumb.jpg.a0d9cbd0a935c19126ce2edf0036fd0e.jpg

HPIM4191.thumb.jpg.14b62ec4e1c038052e8f34fe8dc3b895.jpg

HPIM4193.thumb.jpg.83e5a4e35f7bb943f00f51977f1419fc.jpg

HPIM4194.thumb.jpg.86fe8805e1424b2715ddea1f3171fe4b.jpg

HPIM4192.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I showed that bowl upside-down because it is difficult to se the shape when it is upright. I prefer that style/shape because one can really mix vigorously without the contents slopping out.  And in fact these were marketed by Tramontina as "Splash-proof"  and I would "anchor" them with a wet bath towel coiled around the bottom. 

I also used this one and the largest, for soaking and washing fruits and veg I was going to can, especially when I had to buy commercial fruits and needed to wash the wax off.  This was particularly necessary with cucumbers  that I would be turning into pickles. Some of them had thick wax coatings.

And I did not want to be washing the wax down my sink drain.  

This one was just deep enough to place my 12-quart stockpot, in ice water to cool stocks and soups rapidly.  Versatile shape and size.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

This is the next to the largest of this set of Tramontina bowls I bought at Star Restaurant supply in about 1990.  It is a 13 quart, 12 liter.

HPIM4190.thumb.jpg.a0d9cbd0a935c19126ce2edf0036fd0e.jpg

During ren faire season my DW uses this size to make her bread puddings. She bakes two of the same recipe, doubled, for a given weekend. This size bowl makes soaking and stirring the dried bread cubes very easy. After an hour's worth of soaking and stirring she adds whatever else is flavoring the puddings, then puts the batter(?) into two 1/2 size foil pans, which are generally filled close to the top.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

My Mom had a set of pyrex mixing bowls that she probably got in the 50s. I always wanted them but they seemed to have skipped a generation and went to my daughter. 

There are many extremely "avid" or even fanatic collectors of Pyrex out there in the wild.  There are several groups on FaceBook and it is difficult to believe some of the prices the rarer pieces sell for on ebay, etsy and the other auction sites.

At estate sales there have been battles over those unusual pieces.  

I offered a set on ebay before I was aware of this a few years ago and was shocked that a set I had offered at $45. was bid up to 195. I had no idea.

I had a Pyrex book but it was published in 2005 and obviously the prices were way behind the fad.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, andiesenji said:

There are many extremely "avid" or even fanatic collectors of Pyrex out there in the wild.  There are several groups on FaceBook and it is difficult to believe some of the prices the rarer pieces sell for on ebay, etsy and the other auction sites.

At estate sales there have been battles over those unusual pieces.  

I offered a set on ebay before I was aware of this a few years ago and was shocked that a set I had offered at $45. was bid up to 195. I had no idea.

I had a Pyrex book but it was published in 2005 and obviously the prices were way behind the fad.

They are in daily use. I'll let her know what she has. I had no idea.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I love all the beautiful mixing bowls that I see everywhere.  My mom had some lovely Mason Cash ones that my English grandmother started bringing Momma when Nanny started developing arthritis.  But I have arthritis, too, so lightweight is what I have to go with.  I have some very rigid plastic nested ones that have pour spouts, but my favorite are the cheapo metal ones I found at a Dollar General probably 20 years ago.  I bought them in every available size - I ended up with 4 for probably less than $20.  When we were cleaning out my grandmother's house, I grabbed her biggest metal bowl:

DSCN0422.thumb.JPG.e35ce5a4105191cecdf90564706387ee.JPG

It is the perfect size for mixing up dressing or party-sized salads.  Not sure how much it holds (I don't want to waste that much water), but I did measure it.  Seems odd that it is so big and only 6-inches deep!

DSCN0424.JPG.feaea719019c605d7bb5f770da5cacb4.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

I blame you all for my recent obsession with searching Kijiji for vintage Pyrex or heavy duty steel bowls!  :laugh:

One woman who joined Pyrex Passion on FaceBook  says her husband is going to sign her up for  Pyrex Anonymous.  This after they were out shopping on a Saturday - she was driving and he complained he got whiplash when she slammed on the brakes when she spotted a thrift store with Pyrex in the window. Then he felt back strain carrying the box of stuff she bought because the prices werre so low.

• Haha 7

I've never seen Pyrex painted like that! I'm no collector and can't comment on the quality of the deal, but my take is that if you like the design and the bowls give you pleasure, that's not a bad price. I hope one of the cognescnti answers you soon.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

SORRY!  They are newer, 1980s,  not all that hard to find.  The price is reasonable, depends on the shipping cost.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Come on...someone @andiesenji, @Kim Shook, @JoNorvelleWalker - anyone able to give me a bit of friendly advice on the above 'deal'!?

My wife thinks I'm nuts - please confirm / deny!

I promise, I wasn't ignoring you!  😊  I just have no experience with those kinds of bowls.  And I'm a mess when it comes to pricing.  I don't ever remember prices.  I have to depend on Mr. Kim at the grocery store to tell me if something is a good deal or not.  😄

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TicTac said:

Thank you both!

I read online that the painted Pyrex bowls contain lead paint -

Not that I use the outside to mix in, but the thought doesn't bode well with me.  Perhaps I need to look for the clear ones only!

The newer ones do not contain lead.  Only a limited number of the very early ones contained some on the EXTERIOR but unless one spends hour a day for a very long time soaking the exterior in an acid, like orange juice or vinegar, there is no physical exposure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a stretch for this topic, but my mixer has been working hard lately so I bought it a new ceramic bowl as a gift. 

IMG_1682.thumb.jpeg.d9632e149b7ede70e7e0e818d08eeb6f.jpeg

I got this one from Crate & Barrel.  I didn't realize that they had so many different versions.  Here's a pretty blue and white watercolor one, a tropical floral, a winterberry leaf design, and more

Kind of a racket at these prices but if you keep your mixer out on the counter, it's fun to look at. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wish they made the pretty ones to go with the bowl lift style mixers.

On the same topic, I was in WalMart today and saw a massive display of Pioneer Woman mixing bowls and bakeware. I don't know if I could handle that much cheer and poufery in my kitchen.

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On the Pioneer Woman comment - I kick myself for finding some of the patterns appealing but it is kinda like our local art center - They occasionally wrap the building to coordinate with an exhibit This was wallpaper thru the ages. Driving by - ok for a while but too much as a permanent visual.  Image result for palos verdes art center wrp images

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Confused 1

I have a horror of wallpaper. My stepmother, God rest her soul, papered every room in the house in which I grew up, but for two, which were paneled, in some of the Godawful ugliest wallpaper I ever saw in my life. I don't think I'll ever hang a strip of wallpaper in any place I live.

I could just see my mother looking down and shaking her head...

Sorry. That's way off target for the topic. Stepmother did love PW kitchenware.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com