• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Shops in Chesco or Nearby

SaxChik

My sister's coming to visit this weekend. I thought it might be fun to do a high tea or something of the like.

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the tea shops in the Chester County and surrounding areas. I used to go the Elizabethan Tea Shoppe in Downingtown, but the owner had to close it due to medical issues. There's a new shop in it's place called Samovar, but I haven't been yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lauren

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

My sister's coming to visit this weekend.  I thought it might be fun to do a high tea or something of the like.

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the tea shops in the Chester County and surrounding areas.  I used to go the Elizabethan Tea Shoppe in Downingtown, but the owner had to close it due to medical issues.  There's a new shop in it's place called Samovar, but I haven't been yet.

I haven't been to either of these, but there's a little place called "Serenitea" in Phoenixville, on Main Street, just a few doors up from Bridge street.

And I also have driven by a place in Paoli, right on rt30, just a little east of the train station. I don't know if this is it: Tea Moments but I think I read a good review of this Tea Moments place.

But you might just want to use this Tea Map tearoom locator (who knew?)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I think it is further afield than you want, but I love Flavour of Britain on  Rt 202(Concord Pike) in Wilmington, DE. Great,  tiny tea shop with bakery/gift shop.

If this is the place in the same shopping center as the Calista Grand spa, they do seem to have weird hours and can get full very quickly.

I think it is further afield than you want, but I love Flavour of Britain on  Rt 202(Concord Pike) in Wilmington, DE. Great,  tiny tea shop with bakery/gift shop.

If this is the place in the same shopping center as the Calista Grand spa, they do seem to have weird hours and can get full very quickly.

No, I think the Spa is in West Chester. Flavour of Britain is in Wilmington, De. BUt, you are coorect in that it has weird hours and fills up fast. :sad:

No, I think the Spa is in West Chester. Flavour of Britain is in Wilmington, De. BUt, you are coorect in that it has weird hours and fills up fast. :sad:

We decided to try Samovar in Downingtown. It was a lovely little shop (where the Elizabethan Tea Shop used to be) on Lancaster Ave. It was decorated in a bohemian shabby chic and there were lots of neat tea cups and other items for sale.

My sister ordered the high tea, which consisted of a scone with devonshire cream. lemon curd and jam, a bunch of tea sandwiches (tuna salad, egg salad, cheddar cheese & tangy honey mustard and swiss and some sort of chutney). The desserts were small pieces of carrot cake, coconut cake, lemon cream roll and meringue.

I got the quiche (a nice veggie quiche with zucchini, corn and some other veggies) and a side salad with mandrin oranges and candied walnuts.

We both got iced honey ginger tea, which was really good, and shared each other's meals.

It's a nice spot, very relaxing. The food and tea were good, although they were out of the samsas (meat pastries) which would have been a treat. I must say I miss the old tea shop there. The woman who used to own it was from the UK and made mean meat pies and mushy peas. Mmmm.

I think next time I'll give the place with the weird hours a try in West Chester.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Lauren

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce