• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurants in Media?

effrontery

Hi all, I'm housesitting for a friend this week, and just wondering if there are any restaurants I should definitely check out out here.  Or anywhere nearby, for that matter!

Thanks in advance for the info...

I just moved away from Media, and the only restaurant I can say I'll really miss is Nooddi, now called Nadia Thai. It's on the corner of Monroe and State streets, towards the east end of Media's main street. It's BYO. It started out as 'Nooddi - the Noodle Bar', and their old noodle menu is still available as a subset of their new, Thai menu.

If you want to have breakfast out, I highly recommend Koffee Korner, half a block north of State st. on Jackson st.

Sligo is good if you're in the mood for pub food. Avoid Margaret Kuo's Media, formerly Peking. If you don't mind driving about 15 minutes, there's a fantastic sushi place called Teikoku, on Rt. 3 a few miles east of West Chester.

La Na is an OK Thai BYO.

Margaret Kuo's did a major facelift a year or so ago and it seems like the kitchen is trying harder, too. Keep perspective, though: it's a suburban Asian restaurant--not fine dining. The slow-cooked Szechuan lamb is a favorite of mine. Sushi's OK on the weekend but a little stale during the week.

The New Orleans Cafe is good for casual crowds of very hungry people. Cajun food that beats you over the head with a large club.

For a profound kitsch experience, visit the Rose Tree Inn. They are stuck in a charming 1970s vision of heavy sauces and lump crabmeat piled high on everything. Old-school made to order caesar salad is fun. Very reasonably priced wine list. If you like dinner theatre, order the Dover sole and watch them try to filet it tableside. :laugh:

The New Orleans Cafe is good for casual crowds of very hungry people. Cajun food that beats you over the head with a large club.

I'm pretty sure The New Orleans Cafe closed sometime this summer (2005) I don't know if it's temporary, if it's reopening as itself, or something else... but I don't think you can get cajun food there right now.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

The New Orleans Cafe is indeed closed, permanently as far as I know. Last time I walked by I think I saw an Application for Alcoholic Beverage sign in the window, so someone else is moving in I suppose.

I often get lunch at the Gumbo Shoppe, in Aston, PA, which used to be owned by the same guy (or group of people) who owned and ran the New Orleans Cafe, and they said that the NOC was doing fine financially, but that the chef felt he was too busy splitting time between his multiple restaurants. Apparently he closed the New Orleans Cafe (and maybe other places, I don't know) so that he could devote more time to his newest place, that being New Orleans, which is on Rte. 202 just south of the intersection with Rte. 1.