• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer

So here we are in Auckland, and husband and I rolled into the local supermarket for the first time in twoyears....we'd FORGOTTEN that it's all but impossible to buy a single bottle or tinnie of beer! The "single bottle "options were restricted to Steinlager export and imported Sapporo, so we lugged a dozen brewed-locally-under-licence Oranjeboom lagers home, and husband got down to the task of reclaiming valuable fridge space, with a little assistance from my own lily-white hand.

This was a very nice lager! Forgive the lack of "received terminology", but it came across as dryish with a very faint floral character - light, but not thin.

Any recommendations? Also, I'm curious to know whether anybody else has the "dozen or nothing, ya wimp" problem at their local supermarket.

No "dozen or nothing" problems at the supermarkets and bottle shops here in Melbourne.

The only time I buy beer is when I need to get some guinness to cook with. Other than that, I prefer wine (and even then, I haven't been drinking much in the last few years).

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Emerson's is brewed in Dunedin. I'm not sure how wide their distribution is, but it was very good drinkin' when I was visiting that city. I tried three or four different varieties, all good.

It's hard to go too wrong with Australian beer. Redback and Little Creatures are two less-common favorites, but we end up with Cooper's sparkling or VB a lot of the time. VB tastes great with Asian takeaways.

I've heard good things about Emerson's.

I look forward to seeing what wine is around, but husband prefers beer, and as I get older, a small bottle of beer packs much less punch than the equivalent in wine!

A friend brought a Mills Reef 2003 Hawkes Bay Reserve Cab Sauv along, saying that it was one of his favorites, and it was indeed pleasant - smooth, full, and fragrant.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered Coopers and VB have made there way here to Vancouver.

I aso had the pleasure of opening up my birthday present that my mum lugged across the seas, a cube of XXXX. Su-weet. I think I might have another now. Dammit only 15 left, Mmmmmm I miss home.

What about Steinlager? That's a kiwi beer no? I think it's drinkable.

Recently, Carlton Draught has seen a bit of a renaissance in terms of quality and popularity. The tap product is certainly up a notch from how it used to be, but that could be because I live in the same inner-city suburb where the brewery is, and all the pubs in the vicinity claim to have the freshest beer in the country!

Having said that, I discovered the Little Creatures Pilsener last week on a trip to Perth, and wow!!! Wow!!! WOW!!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I lived in Australia back in the 80s and my impression was that all of the beers were pale lagers. Like the American beer scene at that time, the differentiating features were all about marketing (and geographic loyalty) and not truly about taste. (Personal confession - I don't care for pale lagers and generally drink ales; the only lagers I like are in the bock family.)

From what I see over here 20 years later, Coopers produces some interesting beers but the others that make it to these shores (and there aren't many that I see) are all pale lagers.

Has a craft beer scene developed in Australia (or New Zealand, for that matter) or is it still the same?

It is a small scene, but growing I think.

Sydney boasts a few microbrewery/pubs that brew their own. the Lord Nelson hotel in The Rocks is one example.

In Melbourne, there are a few micro's, less flashy than sydney, but doing nice stuff.

One CUB product called the Beez Neez is pretty good, it's a honey wheat beer. Good body, not pale, good head, and decent complex finish.

Brent, I think it has changed - from memory, lagers were "new" down under in the '80s, and represented a turn away from the heavier British-influenced traditional preferences.

Microbreweries apart, the smaller breweries now typically offer a ranger from light lagers through to dark strong beers, and sometimes herbed or spiced beers, not to mention whitbiers as well.

I was just in Canberra and the Wig and Pen in the city makes the most amazing Porter. A nice strong cocoa taste with just a hint of tobacco in the aftertaste. mmm...

Man, if I'd known there were eG members passing through I would've shouted you a drink!

The Russian Imperial stout is also amazing -- the espresso of beers. I have had a couple of clunkers (whatever their light beer is, and some seasonal one with pumpkin, I think) but overall you can't go wrong, and the wedges are fantastic. Anyone else from out of town should make time to drop in.

I was just in Canberra and the Wig and Pen in the city makes the most amazing Porter. A nice strong cocoa taste with just a hint of tobacco in the aftertaste. mmm...

Man, if I'd known there were eG members passing through I would've shouted you a drink!

The Russian Imperial stout is also amazing -- the espresso of beers. I have had a couple of clunkers (whatever their light beer is, and some seasonal one with pumpkin, I think) but overall you can't go wrong, and the wedges are fantastic. Anyone else from out of town should make time to drop in.

Maybe next time :cool:. The dining was pretty mediocre though. A friend recommended the Chairman Yip and it was a mess. I heard the waters edge/watermark are both pretty good but sadly, did not get a chance to go.

PS: I am a guy.

Maybe next time :cool:. The dining was pretty mediocre though. A friend recommended the Chairman Yip and it was a mess. I heard the waters edge/watermark are both pretty good but sadly, did not get a chance to go.

Waters Edge is definitely excellent. I'm a bit surprised, though, the Chairman is usually pretty good, though they don't change up the menu that often. I think one of the chefs from there is at Dijon now, and their menu certainly reflects an increased Asian influence, more so than when they were back in the Ainslie shops. Dinner out in Canberra is really another thread, though.

Very interested in the Canberra beer and dining options. I'm generally in town say, 2-3 times a month so will be more than pleased to catch up.

it's going to be interesting to see how the Lion Nathan bid for cooper's brewery pans out..

being a family run business [the only family run brewing company left in aus] i think they're chances are slim.. every new member of the family gets shares at birth.. and they're pretty aggressive about their ownership [indeed it's one of their advertising points]..

cooper's drinkers, too, are pretty loyal and would be fairly disappointed [to the point of switching brands] if this goes through.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/lion-n...5302685653.html

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/commo...255E913,00.html

Edited by Tae.Lee (log)

Very interested in the Canberra beer and dining options. I'm generally in town say, 2-3 times a month so will be more than pleased to catch up.

Awesome. I was in Queensland last week, but I should be in the area for the duration. If any other Canberra visitors or locals want to meet up perhaps we can make it an official eGullet event.

I always bring a slab of VB tinnies to California for the guys, and last time I also brought in Cooper's Vintage. I put each bottle inside a sock to make sure it wouldn't clank around in my luggage. :)

Has anyone tried Mountain Goat?

I was down at the Taste of Slow festival the other day and finally, called up a couple pints of their finest, but alas, they were not to be included in my 'to-drink' list.

The light coloured ale and dark ale were on tap, but they just tasted medicinal to me. I asked them about it and they sipped from my glasses and said, "Nothing wrong with it" and didn't offer anything else, so I'm a bit stumped. Can't be bothered looking it up though, I mean, would there be more info on website/reviews etc if the people there themselves can't offer any kind of explanation?

Can't be bothered looking it up though, I mean, would there be more info on website/reviews etc if the people there themselves can't offer any kind of explanation?

Check beeradvocate.com

Four of the brewery's beers are listed there although from your description I couldn't figure out which ones you tasted.

T'was a rhetorical question, meaning I really couldn't be bothered looking it up or trying it again it repulsed me so.

Good luck to you though!

You should be able to buy most beers in a sixpac here, it hard to get anything smaller except maybe one of those double sized bottles that costs a bit less than 4$ each at supermarkets.

Here are some great kiwi beers to try:

Macs gold

Heineken (apparently its made here and a little different)

Speight's Gold

DB Draught, Light Ice

Monteith's Summer

Monteith's gold

Export Gold

Enjoy :)