• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Visit

KarenS

I love Simposio. I haven't been in two years though. What I remember is a great calamari appetizer and the best risotto in town.

I couldn't eat since yesterday 'cause of tests. We went to Hugo's tonight- which was really great. Loved the trio of salads, the duck in red mole, the squash blossom and corn fungus empanadas.

Hope you are doing well. If you are still in Houston and want Italian try Simposio's on Richmond.

I love Simposio. I haven't been in two years though. What I remember is a great calamari appetizer and the best risotto in town.
I couldn't eat since yesterday 'cause of tests. We went to Hugo's tonight- which was really great. Loved the trio of salads, the duck in red mole, the squash blossom and corn fungus empanadas.

Hope you are doing well. If you are still in Houston and want Italian try Simposio's on Richmond.

Where is this place I have never heard of it.

I "third" 17 - why is there no discussion of it. I worked with Ryan at Quattro and he is a very talented young chef. He has worked with some great chefs - the one that stands out the most is Pino Maffeo of Restaurant L in Boston (chef de cuisine at AZ when Ryan worked with him) Im curious to see which way Ryan takes the menu! Cheers

Where is this place I have never heard of it.

Chimney Rock and Richmond.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have a sweet tooth. No, make it sweet TEETH - all of them. But in the five years in Houston I haven't found a bakery/coffee shop that would take my breath away. Are there any recommendations? I've been to the French Riviera Bakery - excellent croissants, but not much in the way of tarts, cakes, etc. I like what they have at the Central Market, but it's a grocery store, not a place to sit down and have a cup of coffee with a pastry or two or three...

Thanks for reminding me about Epicure! Last Friday I convinced my movie class to meet there for the discussion instead of our usual Cafe Express :rolleyes:. I like how cosy it is.

I also (by accident) came across Andre's when shopping in Uptown Park last week. I liked what they had on the display but as it was late afternoon, there wasn't much left :smile:.

Rustika sounds like something I'd like to check out.