• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ha gow

Dejah

trillium and Jo-mel both mentioned how difficult it is to make good ha gow skin.

I think only my "aunties" know how to make it perfectly everytime.

I need a few more years under my ...errr...apron. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions from your experiences?

I use a pre-packaged ha gow flour, but add 2 heaping tbsp. potato starch to the mix.

Boiling water is added slowly just until 95% of the flour is incorporated...a little flour is still visibly dry.

This is left to rest until it is slightly cooled - just so you don't hop around with pain from the heat!

Knead gently until all the flour is worked into the dough, very soft but not sticky ( about a minute).

Roll into a long sausage about 1" thick. Cut into pieces and flatten in the tortilla press.

I wrap both parts of my press with saran wrap. This keeps the dough from sticking.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The recipe I have on file sounds a lot like yours, only the measurements are more precise. I've had it for years but have never been brave enough to try it -- I'm notoriously all thumbs making pie crust and am afraid this would be the same...

1 cup wheat starch

2 tablespoons potato starch

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add boiling water all at once, stirring. Knead dough until smooth, adding more water or wheat starch as necessary. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. With hands dusted with wheat starch, shape dough into two 11” long rolls. Cut into 1” pieces. A few at a time, roll each piece out into a 3” circle. Keep remaining dough covered.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I just got some har gow flour. Should I try it "as is" first, or go ahead and add the starch?

My guess is that if it is specifically "har gow flour", then it has everything needed except water to make the dough... So do not add any other dry ingredients.

I just got some har gow flour. Should I try it "as is" first, or go ahead and add the starch?

I am sitting at the Write Inn Hotel, in Oak Park Village, in Chicago!!!

This computer has been tied up with attendees from the Edgar Rice Burroughs convention, of which hubby and I are members. Finally, it was vacant so I can get my eGullet forum fix! :rolleyes:

Haven't had any free time for Chinese food yet but we may be heading down to Chinatown tonight. Sun Wah, "the little" Three Happiness, or the Phoenix are recommended by the heartlands group, so we will head for one of those.

BOT now! :raz:

As for the ha gow flour, if you haven't already used the flour, why don't you try half and half? Use half the bag as is, then the other half with 1 tbsp. of potato starch? That way, you can tell the difference.

Myself, I've always followed my "little old aunties" teachings. They said that the starch will improve the texture and make the dough easier to handle.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I am sitting at the Write Inn Hotel, in Oak Park Village, in Chicago!!!

This computer has been tied up with attendees from the Edgar Rice Burroughs convention, of which hubby and I are members. Finally, it was vacant so I can get my eGullet forum fix! :rolleyes:

Haven't had any free time for Chinese food yet but we may be heading down to Chinatown tonight. Sun Wah, "the little" Three Happiness, or the Phoenix are recommended by the heartlands group, so we will head for one of those.

BOT now! :raz:

As for the ha gow flour, if you haven't already used the flour, why don't you try half and half? Use half the bag as is, then the other half with 1 tbsp. of potato starch? That way, you can tell the difference.

Myself, I've always followed my "little old aunties" teachings. They said that the starch will improve the texture and make the dough easier to handle.

Great idea! I think I'm able to make many batches with one bag of flour. I remember reading the instruction and it said to use 2 tbsp for one recipe.

Back at my own computer! Got in about supper time from a 2 day drive from Chicago and headed straight for my wok. :laugh:

As for the potato starch, I use 2 tablespoonfuls for ONE 12 oz. BAG of har gow flour.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...

when i was doing doing my attachment at Four Seasons, I was attached to their chinese kitchen for 6 weeks. and 5 of those in the Dim Sum department. The dimsum are made fresh daily and that include "Har Gow".

The skin is indeed hard to make. My "sifu" was very particular on the exact amount of flour and water used. Also, the kneading was very important and not exposing it to air. And the skin must be warm when wrapping the filling.

Har Gow wrapping is one of the hardest skill in dim sum. It took me 2 weeks to actually be able to produce a decent looking har gow. Deftness and how nimble you are with your fingers makes a very big difference.

As Dejah says, "welcome" mflo. This forum is a tightly knit group with a lot of expertise, especially in the "homestyle" type cooking. (I just wonder where all these Chinese ladies were when I was young and eligible 35-40 years ago? :laugh: ) Anyhoo, everytime I log on it's like visiting with younger sisters (moi-moi) that I never had. The feeling is absolute great.

I look forward to your opinions and advice. BTW, where are you located?

thanks for the welcome. Sorry for late replies. Busy! :)

I am located in Singapore btw. At this moment, working as a part of an opening team at a Gourmet Shop / Fine casual dining restaurant.

I have my basics in French cooking actually. :) But been home cooking for many years and hanging around chinese chefs is actually good for knowledge. But as a Strait born Chinese, i am most familiar with Peranakan cuisine. Actually, I would love to introduce Peranakan cuisine to all the good people here.

But mainly I just love to exchange knowledge and that is why i am here.

CHEERS! :)

thanks for the welcome. Sorry for late replies. Busy! :)

Actually, I would love to introduce Peranakan cuisine to all the good people here.

CHEERS! :)

Sign me up! Ready and willing. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com