• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thuet cuisine

Nondoctor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd like to hear some reports...

Wasn't the "soft" opening on Feb 14, 2005?

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

Last weekend's Globe and Mail review was of Thuet. You can still find on the page under the Style section. It's a good reveiw for Kates, If I lived in TO I'd go check it out. I don't know to link to the webpage.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

I was there the other week...I dont remember all that much, as it did not leave that much of a lasting impression. What I do remember is the best thing we had there all night was the amuse, which was a wicked tuna tartar....wish I could of just ordered that. He had some nice sauces, but nothing out of the ordinary. It was also extremely over priced to boot.

I would MUCH rather go to a Splendido or a scaramouch for that kinda $

The restautant was featured on Opening Soon, I think last week or two weeks ago; I'm sure it will be repeated. Based on the the nasty temper he displays, and the seamy side of his past lives described in Toronto Life, I think I would spend my hard earned dollars elsewhere, unless the reviews and word of mouth were unanimously excellent...

My wife and I were there last night with another couple and the 4 of us each had the $89 5-course degustation menu without wine pairing. The food was consistently very good but nothing really stood out as being so special that I would recommend you go there immediately to try. We were there about 7-10pm on the Friday night and it was surprisingly only about 60% full at it's peak.

We were seated at the back near the open concept kitchen and you can see all the chefs. My friend pointed out Marc Thuet as the bleached blond one and we know that because he was the only chef there not wearing a hat. I wonder what the health inspectors would think about that.

Overall, I would recommend that you give this restaurant a try but considering that our final bill (including tax and tips) came to over $600 (including 2 bottles of "reasonably priced" wine), I'm not sure that it was the best value for money.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone else hear any rumors about thuet cuisine going under already? A friend of mine who knows an awful lot of people told me this today. Has anyone else heard this? I certainly hope this is not true.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

Did anyone else hear any rumors about thuet cuisine going under already? A friend of mine who knows an awful lot of people told me this today. Has anyone else heard this? I certainly hope this is not true.

I hope not - I haven't even been there yet. :sad:

The story in Toronto Life recently about Thuet was overall quite damaging. The rampaging ego in the kitchen, the financial tentacles reaching into his operations, the notion of drug use as acceptable in or near the kitchen, and more. It is enough to keep serious diners elsewhere.

I went to Thuet twice, the last time was about a month ago on a Friday night and we were there from about 7-10pm. At about 7pm, we were one of only two tables filled. By about 9-10pm, the restuarant was only about 25% full. When we left, we walked by Susur and Lee, both next door, and both were full (as expected for a Friday night).

The service was good but the food was generally not commensurate with the high price. We ordered the 5-course tasting menu for the table and the food was good at best but mostly just OK. The dessert was a simple crème brûlée (2 small cups, one vanilla and one chocolate, on a large plain plate) that, IMHO, would not look out of place at The Keg; and it didn't taste very good either as most of us just left it on the table after a few tastes. Interesting also was that they gave us bottled water without asking, which ended up costing about $20.

With so many fine restaurants to choose from in Toronto, we have no plans to go to Thuet again. It's unfortunate because there aren't many good high end restaurants in Toronto and we had high hopes for this one, especially with Marc's reputation as an excellent Chef.

I went to Thuet twice, the last time was about a month ago on a Friday night and we were there from about 7-10pm.  At about 7pm, we were one of only two tables filled.  By about 9-10pm, the restuarant was only about 25% full.  When we left, we walked by Susur and Lee, both next door, and both were full (as expected for a Friday night).

The service was good but the food was generally not commensurate with the high price.  We ordered the 5-course tasting menu for the table and the food was good at best but mostly just OK.  The dessert was a simple crème brûlée (2 small cups, one vanilla and one chocolate, on a large plain plate) that, IMHO, would not look out of place at The Keg; and it didn't taste very good either as most of us just left it on the table after a few tastes.  Interesting also was that they gave us bottled water without asking, which ended up costing about $20.

With so many fine restaurants to choose from in Toronto, we have no plans to go to Thuet again.  It's unfortunate because there aren't many good high end restaurants in Toronto and we had high hopes for this one, especially with Marc's reputation as an excellent Chef.

....Well, I guess it sounds like I didn't miss anything either. Too bad, the food a the Fifth was excellent when he was there.

It is unfortunate that the diners in Toronto salivate at the mere mention of one chef's possible demise - a chef who has, in numerous ways, contributed a great deal to the fine dining culture of this city. What further amazes me is that all this information comes from a person "who happens to know a lot of people" - well, now, that sounds real credible.

But to understand Marc's food and his culinary creativity, one must forget about the drugs - this is so old, recycled news, he has admitted the mistakes of his younger days (most normal people have them), gotten help, and moved on with his life and his career as I wish most people would. One must also move beyond the ego as you should never confuse ego for relentless ambition and perfection...and as for egos - every chef has one, Marc just happens to wear his on his sleeve.

But his reality is by far different than most people's. His reality and the reality of his kitchen team is that their day starts at 9am and through camaraderie and music they ensure that every peice of frisee is exactly the same size as the one next to it. So, there is great solidarity and quality in the young men who work here under Marc's tutelage - they all hold a belief that what they salve over all day and present to you at night will, somehow and in some manner, enhance your dining experience. Therefore, I find the whole concept of insulting someone's creation, whatever it may be, quite abrasive.

And for the serious diner - if you disliked the Toronto Life article, do yourself a favour and never walk into a three star Michelin restaurant in Europe as most of those chefs have abused drugs, they all have rampaging egos and live the rock 'n roll existence. Bout you know what - their food is fine art, no matter what their lifestyle.

We, on the other hand, are fortunate to receive great reviews from our regular clients and the new ones who happen to love what we offer at Thuet Cuisine.

And for those who prefer The Keg or eat creme brulee there - we understand.

We'll still be creating tomorrow.

As for finances, Marc doesn't worry about that - but then again the friend "who know a lot of people" should have known that.

Oh, Yes - a little news flash

If ever in doubt, please try one of our housemade selection of organic Artisan breads and pastries offered at Pusateri's and Cheese Boutique - perhaps that will solidify this point.

See you soon - Biana Zorich

Biana,

Unfortunetly, you dont seem to have understood the point which I and some of the other posters tried to make.

To be honest, I couldnt give a sh!t about his drug use, or his lifestyle. I come for the food. As long as I dont find a syringe or a roach in my dish, as stated, I couldnt care less. What I do care about, is the concept of getting my money's worth. Did I get my money's worth at Thuet? Simply put, no. I believe your prices are way too high for the food that is being served. I could list many restaurants which I could pay a fraction of your prices, and get similar quality food.

That being said, dont get me wrong, I didn't think the food was bad, but it was nowhere near what I would expect when paying those type of prices.

I dont read reviews and give any worth to someones opinion, simply because I prefer to form my own, and after being to your new restaurant, I have done so, first hand.

It is unfortunate that the diners in Toronto salivate at the mere mention of one chef's possible demise - a chef who has, in numerous ways, contributed a great deal to the fine dining culture of this city.  What further amazes me is that all this information comes from a person "who happens to know a lot of people" - well, now, that sounds real credible.

But to understand Marc's food and his culinary creativity, one must forget about the drugs - this is so old, recycled news, he has admitted the mistakes of his younger days (most normal people have them), gotten help, and moved on with his life and his career as I wish most people would.  One must also move beyond the ego as you should never confuse ego for  relentless ambition and perfection...and as for egos - every chef has one, Marc just happens to wear his on his sleeve.

But his reality is by far different than most people's.  His reality and the reality of his kitchen team is that their day starts at 9am and through camaraderie and music they ensure that every peice of frisee is exactly the same size as the one next to it.  So, there is great solidarity and quality in the young men who work here under Marc's tutelage - they all hold a belief that what they salve over all day and present to you at night will, somehow and in some manner, enhance your dining experience.  Therefore, I find the whole concept of insulting someone's creation, whatever it may be, quite abrasive.

And for the serious diner - if you disliked the Toronto Life article, do yourself a favour and never walk into a three star Michelin restaurant in Europe as most of those chefs have abused drugs, they all have rampaging egos and live the rock 'n roll existence.  Bout you know what - their food is fine art, no matter what their lifestyle.

We, on the other hand, are fortunate to receive great reviews from our regular clients and the new ones who happen to love what we offer at Thuet Cuisine.

As for finances, Marc doesn't worry about that - but then again the friend "who know a lot of people" should have known that.

Oh, Yes -  a little news flash

If ever in doubt, please try one of our housemade selection of organic Artisan breads and pastries offered at Pusateri's and Cheese Boutique - perhaps that will solidify this point.

Look I am a chef in this city as well and the more fine restaurants the better for the culinary scene in this city. As I stated, I hope that this was not true, I certainly never salivated over the restaurants demise.

having said that since who you are talking to are people who have dined at your restaurant and potential future guests the attitude that you have displayed will assure the restaurants demise. Perhaps if you were a little less condescending buisness would be better ?. Nothing like serious attitude with a fine meal.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

It is unfortunate that the diners in Toronto salivate at the mere mention of one chef's possible demise - a chef who has, in numerous ways, contributed a great deal to the fine dining culture of this city.  What further amazes me is that all this information comes from a person "who happens to know a lot of people" - well, now, that sounds real credible.

But to understand Marc's food and his culinary creativity, one must forget about the drugs - this is so old, recycled news, he has admitted the mistakes of his younger days (most normal people have them), gotten help, and moved on with his life and his career as I wish most people would.  One must also move beyond the ego as you should never confuse ego for  relentless ambition and perfection...and as for egos - every chef has one, Marc just happens to wear his on his sleeve.

But his reality is by far different than most people's.  His reality and the reality of his kitchen team is that their day starts at 9am and through camaraderie and music they ensure that every peice of frisee is exactly the same size as the one next to it.  So, there is great solidarity and quality in the young men who work here under Marc's tutelage - they all hold a belief that what they salve over all day and present to you at night will, somehow and in some manner, enhance your dining experience.  Therefore, I find the whole concept of insulting someone's creation, whatever it may be, quite abrasive.

And for the serious diner - if you disliked the Toronto Life article, do yourself a favour and never walk into a three star Michelin restaurant in Europe as most of those chefs have abused drugs, they all have rampaging egos and live the rock 'n roll existence.  Bout you know what - their food is fine art, no matter what their lifestyle.

Oh, Yes -  a little news flash

Look I am a chef in this city as well and the more fine restaurants the better for the culinary scene in this city. As I stated, I hope that this was not true, I certainly never salivated over the restaurants demise.

having said that since who you are talking to are people who have dined at your restaurant and potential future guests the attitude that you have displayed will assure the restaurants demise. Perhaps if you were a little less condescending buisness would be better ?. Nothing like serious attitude with a fine meal.

I think Thuet is a chef our city should be proud to have.

As for the closure of his most recent venture... as far as I can tell they have simply closed for a 2 week break.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

A friend of a friend of my best friends uncles neighbours dog walker gave me this info, and he knows alot of people! Please give me a break, spreading rumours is not what this board is all about. Everyone has a past and may have done unsaintly things, but is it Marc's past antics that draws people to eat his food? I hope not, he is truely gifted, and we as adults should be able to form our own opinions as to wheather or not spend our hard earned dollars at his restaurant.

A friend of a friend of my best friends uncles neighbours dog walker gave me this info, and he knows alot of people! Please give me a break, spreading rumours is not what this board is all about. Everyone has a past and may have done unsaintly things, but is it Marc's past antics that draws people to eat his food? I hope not, he is truely gifted, and we as adults should be able to form our own opinions as  to wheather or not spend our hard earned dollars at his restaurant.

No sorry, a good friend who happens to be one of my suppliers called me and asked if I had heard anything. I figured this was a good place to pose the question. As i said before i certainly hope it is not true. It seemed like a pretty straight forward question.

www.azurerestaurant.ca