• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thuet cuisine

Nondoctor

Can I jump in here with a small protest?

I haven't read through the entire e-gullet manifesto, but it seems to me that this is the perfect place for people (like Jeebus) to write about rumours he's heard. It is also the perfect place for people like Biana Zorich (signing her name with dignity) to respond to these rumours.

I am truly sick of high and mighty "annonymous" posters criticizing everyone else for their writings in order to defend their causes. Many of these people are industry workers who are close to those being criticised and not stating their biases. Why should Jeebus have to defend his rumour? Ms. Zorich responded as herself, not as some diner who has had a great time, loves Marc Thuet as a god, dreams of his food and would mortgage their house to keep his restaurant open. She was honest (I hope).

I for one would love to read real Torontonians opinions, read about rumours and read the responses to the rumours from the people who are involved; if we're lucky. I am tired of reading these ridiculously contrived responses by people using this board as an advertising tool and as a way to defend themselves or promote themselves "on the QT."

If you are an industry professional, state that you are and share with us your unique insight into our city. I am, and I think that we have an opportunity to offer non-professionals a look into the reality of the game as well as provide more balanced criticism to our peers. By dropping silly comments and "subtly" promoting our restaurants, we are wasting an opportunity to do something good.

I applaud the input of Jeebus and Ms. Zorich, I neither agree, nor disagree with either of them, but I think they are setting an example for other "insiders" for a way to make positive contributions to this board.

I for one am not involved in the industry, am simply as you would put it a 'real Torontonian' and my opinion is simply based on my experience at Thuet.

Its decent food, but so absurdly priced for what it is you get, there are just too many other choices out there to warrant returning.

No Wow factor, especially at that price point.

I agree with sadistick here. I think most people don't care about any rumours or Marc's past; rather it's about the food and perceived value. I sincerely hope Thuet (the restaurant) continues as a successful going concern and become one of the best restaurants in town because we need it and we want it.

My 2 experiences at Thuet so far, unfortunately, have been mediocre compared to other high end restaurants in town or elsewhere for that matter. However, if I hear that things have changed and see more positive reviews through this board or anywhere else, I'll certainly be back. Nothing personal either way, it's just about the food.

Biana,

Unfortunetly, you dont seem to have understood the point which I and some of the other posters tried to make.

To be honest, I couldnt give a sh!t about his drug use, or his lifestyle.  I come for the food.  As long as I dont find a syringe or a roach in my dish, as stated, I couldnt care less.  What I do care about, is the concept of getting my money's worth.  Did I get my money's worth at Thuet?  Simply put, no.  I believe your prices are way too high for the food that is being served.  I could list many restaurants which I could pay a fraction of your prices, and get similar quality food.

That being said, dont get me wrong, I didn't think the food was bad, but it was nowhere near what I would expect when paying those type of prices.

I dont read reviews and give any worth to someones opinion, simply because I prefer to form my own, and after being to your new restaurant, I have done so, first hand.

See, its not even that the food was just mediocre, which it was...but I had one dish, I cannot remember exactly what it was, but on the menu, it said 'Wild Forest Mushrooms' - - The mushrooms that came on it were anything but wild, more like some plain old grocery store mushrooms. I commented on this to the server, to ask the kitchen what they consider wild forest mushrooms, and I didnt even get a RESPONSE. When I am paying $30+ for a dish, and I make a comment showing some displeasure, I expect to get a response.

Sorry, but I dont care how good the food may get, or what people may say, I will not be back to thuet, and will urge people who ask to chose something else, such as a Splendido, or a Scaramouche.

I had a fabulous experience at Thuet on Friday August 12. Maybe it depends on the night. I went with my father and his girlfriend and had the 5 course taster. The flavours were very interesting and delicate. Last month the three of us went to splendido and had the meal off the regular menu which I found was better than off the taster (and more expensive). Our family just returned from Portugal and believe that the fish was cooked better at Splendido than in Lisbon.

With regard to Thuet, all three of us agreed that Thuet is a better restaurant and the chef has a better understanding of sauces and the base of flavours than other chefs in the city.

My favourite restaurant for years was Susur but lately the fusion asian trend is getting boring and I have turned to more traditional based preparations in cooking.

The place was very empty which is sorta sad. I have heard in the past that service was horrible, but our experience was not excellent but nothing to complain about.

The only drawback from the restuarant I found was that the taster was dishes right off the regular menu which was kinda strange but the food was nevertheless excellent.

:cool:

See, its not even that the food was just mediocre, which it was...but I had one dish, I cannot remember exactly what it was, but on the menu, it said 'Wild Forest Mushrooms' - - The mushrooms that came on it were anything but wild, more like some plain old grocery store mushrooms.  I commented on this to the server, to ask the kitchen what they consider wild forest mushrooms, and I didnt even get a RESPONSE.  When I am paying $30+ for a dish, and I make a comment showing some displeasure, I expect to get a response.

Sorry, but I dont care how good the food may get, or what people may say, I will not be back to thuet, and will urge people who ask to chose something else, such as a Splendido, or a Scaramouche.

• 5 weeks later...

And for the serious diner - if you disliked the Toronto Life article, do yourself a favour and never walk into a three star Michelin restaurant in Europe as most of those chefs have abused drugs, they all have rampaging egos and live the rock 'n roll existence. Bout you know what - their food is fine art, no matter what their lifestyle.

Marc's drug use is not the issue, its his food. Satisfactory, but hardly worth special mention. I don't care how many drugs Gagnaire uses, because his food is great and artistic.

We, on the other hand, are fortunate to receive great reviews from our regular clients and the new ones who happen to love what we offer at Thuet Cuisine.

And for those who prefer The Keg or eat creme brulee there - we understand.

We'll still be creating tomorrow.

Good, some people love what Marc does, that is the cornerstone of every good business, but it doesn't mean his food is great. He survives in Toronto because people here don't know sh!t about food. You know his food is infinitely better than The Keg, but you are missing the point... he is trying to be high-end and The Keg is not. The Keg appeals to the masses and offers (as far as the steak goes at least) a passable product that the majority of Toronto diners find as good value.

Your food is decent, your wine list sucks, and like most Toronto restaurants... your staff are a bunch of students that don't know what service is. You simply cannot charge what you do for what you offer and hope to stay in business.

Edited by Tom Gandey (log)

See, its not even that the food was just mediocre, which it was...but I had one dish, I cannot remember exactly what it was, but on the menu, it said 'Wild Forest Mushrooms' - - The mushrooms that came on it were anything but wild, more like some plain old grocery store mushrooms.  I commented on this to the server, to ask the kitchen what they consider wild forest mushrooms, and I didnt even get a RESPONSE.  When I am paying $30+ for a dish, and I make a comment showing some displeasure, I expect to get a response.

I think Splendido is a hit-or-miss type of place, but I definitely see David Lee as a passionate chef that can appreciate the best quality ingredients (had some great white Loire aspargus there this spring).

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the tip - I was delighted to see that Thuet is having a "Winterlicious" event of their own. I've always wanted to try this restaurant, and now that it's $35/person, there isn't any excuse :raz:

I'm undecided between the menus though - any suggestions on which I should try?

MENU BISTRO

Onion soup gratiné Les Halles

or

Mixed green salad, sherry & Saint Benoît vinaigrette

Beef bavette, shallot sauce with frites

Trio of daily ice cream with exotic fruits and meringue

$35.00

- OR -

MENU ALSACE

Poached Kobe bone marrow, warm truffle vinaigrette emulsion

-or-

Pickerel quenelle, knepfle maison, Rieling sauce

Choucroute garnie à l’Alsacienne

Tarte tatin, caramel ice cream

$35.00

Have the Alsace menu......... I'd love to know if he can manage a proper Choucroute Garnie! It's a great thing when it's done well and given Thuet's background... :biggrin:

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

Hmm.. I haven't been to Thuet, but it seems that shifting over to the 'bistro' category must just be better for business. Not enough truffle fiends out there, but plenty who go for 'beef bavette, shallot sauce with frites' (see 'Menu Bistro').

On the other hand, aren't there already quite a few other bistros to compete with? Or is there just a growing demand?

Le Select has moved to Wellington - a bit closer to the KingW restaurant strip and Thuet, I guess - and it seems they've upgraded their nosh and recruited Chef Jean-Pierre C-something or other (sorry, I forget his last name). Both restaurants look like they're now in the same niche.

I had one of the very best brunches that I can remember this Sunday past.

Poached eggs with boudin blanc, boudin noir and andouille sausage.

The pastries are simply outstanding and have to be among the very best I have ever tasted.

The service was superb (a lady named Briar).

I cannot wait to return.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

• 9 months later...
Grabbed a butter croissant, a savory herb croissant and a baguette from the bakery for a quick breakfast. Loved all three.

I'm happy to hear that. I had a croissant and a pain au chocolat from Thuet last weekend and was disappointed. I found the pastry to be chewy and a bit tough. I wondered if they had been baked the day before.

Sorry to hear that, the croissants I got were certainly not chewy!  They might not have been quite as transcendent as some I've had in Paris, but they were light and flaky and clearly fresh (at about 9am on a friday).

Mine were 10 am on a Sunday. I'll try again!