• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"sending drinks to the kitchen"

Well I couldn't resist the 60% off Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook on Amazon. In the intro he goes on (and on ..) about finding good suppliers of food. Even goes so far as to suggest that you ask your favourite restaurateurs where they get their supplies, and that you 'send drinks back to the kitchen' to curry favour.

Does anyone do this here in the UK? Should I try it when especially pleased with a dish, or would the chef be bemused at a glass of Pinot Grigio suddenly appearing at her elbow?

Sarah

Sarah

I've sent drinks (usually beer) back for the staff and it usually gets a response at the end of the evening when the chef or sous showing up and saying thanks. A lot of time we have left half a bottle of wine for the FOH staff to finish off at shift end and it usually results in great service on our next visit.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I live in both Europe and North America almost equal amounts of time. I've sent drinks to the staff as a "thank you" for great service and just about anyone in the service industry enjoys a drink and gratitude at the end of their shift. I usually do the same thing when on holidays as well.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Its rare, but if you do it at the beginning of the meal, it will be much appreciated. More than the tip at the end

However bear in mind that at a high end restaurant there may be 10-20 people back there

good point...we usually do not do it at high end restaurants with huge numbers of staff. At those restaurants I'd most likely treat my server to a drink along with his or her tip.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG

Being offered a glass from a particularly good bottle of wine always gets a good response from me!!

And yes, it is always remembered! :laugh:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Not a rare event for us to be offered drinks by guests.Cheap round here (3 drinks :laugh: )

I tend not to take them as i have to drive home after work.

I don't recall Mr Mashall buying me a drink, but he did bring chocolates :wub:

EDIT, we do have one regular who leaves us his dregs as a tip, that's just tight

Edited by Basildog (log)

Not a rare event for us to be offered drinks by guests.Cheap round here (3 drinks :laugh: )

I tend not to take them as i have to drive home after work.

I don't recall Mr Mashall buying me a drink, but he did bring chocolates :wub:

EDIT, we do have one regular who leaves us his dregs as a tip, that's just tight

i did get a tip for you out of bapi when i collected the cash though, that must count :biggrin:

I must add basil is very generous host and has given us more than our fair share of drinks when we happen 'to be passing' post pub closing/ slacker booting us off his wine terrace :laugh:

you don't win friends with salad

Err .. hmmmm

Rules appear to be:

- don't bother anywhere posh cos there are too many staff

- do bother if it's somewhere run by an egulleter

- or if you want a piss up at some time in the near future if the place in question is a pub.

:huh:

I think I'll carry on as before and not worry too much.

Thanks all!

Sarah

Sarah

I agree with not buying in "posh??" places as there are too many in the kitchen and the chef alone who accepts a drink for him/herself is shite really. Also a lot of the lager better places will plonk a service charge on, so if you have had a good time please do not dispute it as it goes into our salaries.

If a meal is totally outstanding and I find I have need to discuss this, I will on occasion ask if the chef wants to go for a beer after that service to try and rob the odd technique though, but this then I suppose is just payment in kind.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

Also a lot of the lager better places will plonk a service charge on, so if you have had a good time please do not dispute it as it goes into our salaries.

Was that deliberate? :laugh:

no just subliminal.... :laugh:

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk