• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two tapas restaurants in Scottsdale

It must be the summer heat. In the evening, I want something delicious, but I don't want a lot of it, and I'm often too wiped out to cook. So, in the last few weeks, I've gone to two Tapas restaurants -- both of which were second visits. I didn't take notes, so forgive my faulty memory.

First, where these places are: Ibiza is in downtown Scottsdale, on Scottsdale Road right at Stetson. It shares a messy parking lot with Kyoto (which is a great Japanese restaurant for lunch, but that's another thread). At the moment, it's hard to get into Ibiza because Stetson is torn apart, but I assure you it's worth it.

Tapino is in the Agua Caliente gaggle of shops at Shea and 90th Street, behind Sushi on Shea and Claim Jumper. You'll remember the building when you see it, as it has an Italian restaurant that had been there for at least ten years. (Not that I can remember its name at the moment, but old time Scottsdale folks will be sure to remind me.)

Both of these are very good restaurants, but they have different moods. Ibiza is casual. The wait staff is breezy, the tables shoved close together. Which isn't to say that Tapino is cold and formal, but it's a more studied casualness, with wine boxes and candles and a gorgeous wall-of-wine next to the bar. The service is very friendly, however; we asked about an unfamiliar wine on the list, and the waiter didn't know the answer. "I'll get you a sample," he offered, which I appreciated. If these were women, Tapino would be wearing makeup that's put on perfectly; Ibiza might wear only a hint of lipstick but still look wonderful.

The wine list in both places is good; each has ten or fifteen wines by the glass. (From my single visit to Postino, it's the winner in that area, with quite a few more choices.) Tapino has a wine list worth reading, though, and they clearly put a lot of attention on the non-obvious selections. They also have wine flights, for which I have an unnatural weakness. During their 5-7pm happy hour (when all wines by the glass are $5, a smokin' deal), we tried a wine whose correct name I can't remember, but which we're already calling Herb Belushi, the missing Belushi brother. Good stuff, and I hadn't even heard of it before.

Ibiza had some nice choices in the wine department, but it's definitely in the #2 position here.

Foodwise: well, frankly, they're both great. And while this isn't bargain territory, I think they each give a good value for the money.

At Ibiza, last week, three of us shared gazpacho; paella; shrimp wrapped in bacon; a delicious chicken-something in phyllo; and something else I don't recall. Those descriptions make the dishes sound rather dull, but each was done exceedingly well. The paella was simply awesome, with a perfect balance of ingredients and *perfectly* done calamari. I didn't peek at the bill (my brother-in-law was paying) but I think it was about $70. I'm the only one who had wine.

Dinner last night at Tapino consisted of soft-shelled crab, parmesan-crusted fried artichokes (these were awesome), and pulled-pork empanadas with mango (I think) salsa. We also indulged in a combo dessert with apple beignets, berry crumble, blood orange creme brulee, and chocolate lava cake. Dinner for the two of us -- including those $5 glasses of wine -- was $51 before tip.

As I said, this was a second visit for each restaurant. I don't recall all the details of our previous menu -- but these were probably typical. Tapino also has full sit-down entrees, by the way, which sound marvelous. Assuming that I can ever get past the tapas section of the menu to try them.

• 1 month later...

I recently tried Tapino for the first time, and I thought it was outstanding. Our waitress told me that they had just changed the menu, and seemed to be excited about all of the new items (good salesmanship, I suppose?). I was a bit overwhelmed with the list of wines by the glass (there were something like 30 of them!), but told the waitress what I liked and she brought me something that I loved, it was called 'erbaluce' (I wrote it down after reading the bottle, Bonny Doon makes it, anyone ever hear of this?). I haven't tried Ibiza, bit will very soon.

-Kristen

Edited by teamkristen (log)

• 1 month later...

Wow, am I glad to have found this thread! I was looking for a place to buy a g.c. for my friend, who turns 40 this weekend. I just left a message at Tapino. :biggrin:

And of course, now I'm wondering when I can get there for a visit...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Interesting--'tho reports here gave me an overall better impression.

I'm open to other ideas if y'all have any...just can't spend too much (I was thinking $50). Are there other restaurants and/or food ideas in the area that would make for a fun gift?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Interesting--'tho reports here gave me an overall better impression. 

I'm open to other ideas if y'all have any...just can't spend too much (I was thinking $50).  Are there other restaurants and/or food ideas in the area that would make for a fun gift?

Curlz,

In that price range your best bet would be Pizzeria Bianco, he was voted best pizza in the country. He has a bar and restaurant downtown and uses the best ingredients and it is a nice atmosphere not low-end at all.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/Restau...urrenceID=89028

http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2004/05/006.shtml

Anyone would love that as a gift

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com