• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seven Spice/Sabah Baharat

Back in the moussaka cook-off, Jason mentioned that he uses seven spice, and in response to my query he provided this reference:

http://www.arabicslice.com/spices.html
Mixed Spices (Baharat)

A mixture of spices, which is usually a combination of cloves, cumin, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon and pepper with paprika added for colour. You can purchase Seven Spice meaning Sabah Baharat from most Middle Eastern and Indian Stores.

While in Tucson recently (of all places), I found some pre-mixed seven spice powder, which I finally used last night. I dry-rubbed some pork with it and salt, sauteed the chops in a skillet, then poured in some water and tamarind juice (out of pomegranate syrup): fantastic.

So I'm interested to know more about this. What do people use it for besides pork (ahem) chops?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I use it in chilli instead of chilli :raz:

that, couple of squares of dark chocolate, cornbread cobbler topping :wub:

also used it to make meatballs, chopped spring onions, spice mix, minced lamb and salt, plus an egg I think.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

While in Tucson recently (of all places), I found some pre-mixed seven spice powder, which I finally used last night. I dry-rubbed some pork with it and salt, sauteed the chops in a skillet, then poured in some water and tamarind juice (out of pomegranate syrup): fantastic.

So I'm interested to know more about this. What do people use it for besides pork (ahem) chops?

Can you please alaborate as to the relationship of Tamarind juice and Pomegrenate syrup??!?!

Did you use both as surely you don't mean Tamarind is from Pomegrenate?

I would guess he was out of tamarind and used pomegranate molasses for a nice sour taste.

wierd al ~ spam

I dry-rubbed some pork with it and salt, sauteed the chops in a skillet, then poured in some water and tamarind juice (out of pomegranate syrup): fantastic.

Can you please alaborate as to the relationship of Tamarind juice and Pomegrenate syrup??!?!

Did you use both as surely you don't mean Tamarind is from Pomegrenate?

I will happily elaborate on my use of those ingredients; I'm certain that you, Almass, can elaborate on the relationship of the two ingredients in general. Binkyboots has the basic idea, if the other way around.

Tamarind and pomegranate have a somewhat similar flavor profile -- not identical, and certainly one cannot be legitimately substituted for the other in most dishes. But this was Monday night supper using a new ingredient (the seven spice), not a research-based inquiry into authentic pomegranate-based sauces.

So, when I wanted to have a sweet, sour, and fruity component in this very simple sauce, I tried to find my pomegranite syrup, but was out, and thus substituted the nearest thing I could find. That's all.

And, mais oui, Almass, I surely don't mean tamarind is from pomegranate. Sheesh.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

doh!

I really need to stick a card that says "preview your damn posts" on top of my monitor.

worked for learning to drive, lol.

mm.. pomegranate and seven spice, wish I had some chops in the house.

wierd al ~ spam

I also substitute tamarind paste for pomegranate syrup, or use a combination of them in Iranian recipes.

My grandfather had a pomegranate orchard, so my standards for the syrup are very high. I have found the tamarind paste available in the US to be a closer approximation to a good pomegranate syrup than commercially available brands of the syrup itself. I find many of the syrups to have a bubble-gum aftertaste.

I use baharat with hummus on a roasted halibut dish I created last year. It's also wonderful with sauteed vegetables like onions and corn. Nice on yogurt. It's a very versatile blend. I get it from Adriana's Caravan.

• 2 weeks later...