• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling To San Francisco

518Music

Me and my family are traveling to San Francisco in the coming weeks and I was wondering what are some of the best places to eat Dim Sum or Chinese? And also a possible recommendation for a place to have a nice dinner with the family possibly Italian or New American?

Thanks!!

518 Music

www.fiveoneeightmusic.cjb.net

The Capital Region's True Indie Music Reporter

Koi Palace or Hong Kong Flower Lounge would be the top two for Dim Sum. Take a look at the San Francisco restaurant index for a pile of suggestions. Zuni would be my first pick for new american, Incanto for Italian. For a more down-home Italian offering check out L'Osteria Del Forno in north beach. I'd suggest checking out one of the Peruvian places in the city (Mochica, Limon, etc), since that is something Albany doesn't have.

Koi Palace or Hong Kong Flower Lounge would be the top two for Dim Sum.  Take a look at the San Francisco restaurant index for a pile of suggestions.  Zuni would be my first pick for new american, Incanto for Italian.  For a more down-home Italian offering check out L'Osteria Del Forno in north beach.  I'd suggest checking out one of the Peruvian places in the city (Mochica, Limon, etc), since that is something Albany doesn't have.

Hong Kong Flower Lounge is in Millbrae and Koi Palace is in Daily City -- and I stongly reccomend either one, although I have a slight preference to Koi Palace because of the nicer setting. However, be aware these are both a half hour drive outside SF, and are not in the city proper.

Both HKFL and Koi Palace look like something out of Kung Fu movies -- HKFL the old school "Evil Warlord Palace" vibe and Koi Palace something out of Kill Bill.

Here's some photos I took recently of the Dim Sum at HKFL:

gallery_2_1391_9512.jpg

Har Gow (with shrimp meat inside, not shrimp paste)

gallery_2_1391_3716.jpg

Dou Miu (Pea Shoot) dumplings with dried shredded scallops (Very Good)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thank You for all the suggestions are there any places to get good Chinese or Dim Sum right in the city because I saw that two places you mentioned were outside?

518 Music

I also have an outside suggestion for Dim Sum... The King of King in Oakland.

I really like this place. Everyday they have a large freshly barbecued pig hanging behind the counter along with your typical ducks. They have solid dim sum and the service is not shy about offering it.

Have a look at these threads:

Great Chinese San Francisco

Dim Sum in San Francisco

Dim Sum in SFO

"R&G Lounge" in Chinatown seems to get a lot of positive feedback on the site. I've never been but I hope to get there soon.

I also like Brandy Ho's near the Transamerica Pyramid, its one of the best legitiamately Hunan restaurants I've ever eaten in, and genuine Hunan restaurants are in short supply on both coasts.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

R&G Lounge is good, but it's more of a dinner place, I don't even know if they have dim sum. For dim sum in San Francisco, the usual suspects are Yank Sing (creative but expensive), Harbor Village (more traditional) and Ton Kiang (a little far from the touristy areas, so it may be a bit of a trek).

R&G had an extensive lunch menu, much of which seemed to be available only Mon-Fri. We were there on a Saturday and told that we'd have to order off of the regular menu and not the special lunch menu.

In addition, R&G was not a dim sum place, though there was so much dim sum available in Chinatown it could make your head spin. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to have dim sum, so I can't recommend anywhere. Our lunch at R&G was quite tasty--in particular, the hot and sour soup was outstanding.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hong Kong Flower Lounge is in Millbrae and Koi Palace is in Daily City -- and I stongly reccomend either one, although I have a slight preference to Koi Palace because of the nicer setting.

There used to be a Hong Kong Flower Lounge on Geary- with a full bar and very swellegant. I spent many happy evenings there. Did it close?

I've lived here all my life and I couldn't tell you where Millbrae is!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I've lived here all my life and I couldn't tell you where Millbrae is!

Its like two exits north of San Francisco Intl Airport on US 101...

You can't miss Hong Kong Flower Lounge. You can see the place getting right off the Millbrae exit on 101, it looks exactly like some badass Hing Kong opium warlord's palace in a circa-1972 Bruce Lee or James Bond flick. Some Hong Kong movie star owns the joint, apparently.

I also like Brandy Ho's near the Transamerica Pyramid, its one of the best legitiamately Hunan restaurants I've ever eaten in, and genuine Hunan restaurants are in short supply on both coasts.

I second that excellent suggestion. Then, if you have some downtime afterward, go across the street to Spec's, on the corner of Columbus and William Saroyan. There is actually not really such an intersection or a Saroyan street, but there is an excellent bar that on most days will have on offer slices of fontina taken from a huge round of cheese, cut with one very cool cheese cutting thing that I have often dreamt of stealing when no one is looking.

And of course you should also walk yourself up to Molinari's, across from some church where DiMaggio married Monroe, and marvel at what is, in my rarely humble opinion, the finest Italian deli (left) in San Francisco. The place is effin awesome. I can't say enough awesome things about effin Molinari's. They have at least one, very awesome sandwich, the North Beach special, which has these awesome marinated peppers that just get me excited every effin time I think about them. Sometimes I can just sit, think of Molinari's, and achieve something akin to sexual arousal. I think I should stop now... but do go to Molinari's, please.

I was just told that the original HKFL in SF on Geary is still there and in fact thriving under new ownership since 2003. The one in Millbrae is a smaller branch of the same restaurant. No need to discover Millbrae's charms just yet!

My friend who used to love hosting us there used to call ahead and speak with the manager, choosing the menu for the whole evening and getting lots of special things not listed. As a guest, all I had to do was pick my cocktail. It's somewhat dressy and I get all warm inside thinking of those meals.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

HKFL in Milbrae is a bit of a local legend here on the Peninsula. I'm actually surprised to hear there's one in SF! A number of us who worked further south in Silicon Valley would race up Hwy 101 to take a long lunch there.

Milbrae is the city just north of Burlingame and San Mateo and close to the airport.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

And also a possible recommendation for a place to have a nice dinner with the family possibly Italian or New American?

MERENDA

1809 Union St., San Francisco, CA, USA

Phone: 415/346-7373

$23 to Over $30

Italian/Mediterranean

Excellent---Small, one of my favorites. Young chef.

FARALLON

450 Post St., San Francisco, CA, USA

Phone: 415/956-6969

$23 to Over $30

Union Sq.

Excellent seafood, but somewhat pricey. Also difficult to get reservations.

ZUNI CAFÉ

1658 Market St., San Francisco, CA, USA

Phone: 415/552-2522

$15 to $30

Mediterranean

National reputation chef. Best for lunch or funky dining.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

For convienent and great dim sum in the city, I'd strongly recommend Harbor Village. I think Ton Kiang can be as good, but I don't find the same variety of dishes as Harbor.

I've done Koi Palace in Daly City and didn't find it any better than Harbor Village- just busier.

For Italian with a family - hmm - if you're willing to taxi or take a bus/train, I'd recommend Incanto or Sociale. Both are very neighborhoody and excellent. You could also think about Basque food at Piperade (http;//www.piperade.com) as while the food is extremely interesting it is also fairly easy to get along with for all tastes.

And also a possible recommendation for a place to have a nice dinner with the family possibly Italian or New American?

MERENDA

1809 Union St., San Francisco, CA, USA

Phone: 415/346-7373

$23 to Over $30

Italian/Mediterranean

Excellent---Small, one of my favorites. Young chef.

merenda is closed - keith luce is now the chef at Press in st helena

Edited by dvs (log)

I was just told that the original HKFL in SF on Geary is still there and in fact thriving under new ownership since 2003. The one in Millbrae is a smaller branch of the same restaurant. No need to discover Millbrae's charms just yet!

Smaller? How the heck can it be smaller? The Millbrae one seats at least 400!

Boy, there are a lot of threads with similar questions right now. Most remind me how rarely I eat out in the downtown areas. Or venture outside the city limits. (I have my exceptions, of course.)

Dim sum: Ton Kiang on Geary at 22nd Ave. Excellent seafood of all kinds. Also, their roast duck is delicious. Salt-and-pepper prawns (head on), oh yeah.

Italian with a family: Hard to say, not knowing ages. Incanto would be my first pick at the high end.

New American: Zuni gets a lot of votes and I don't think it's bad. I just have never been blown away by the food. (And them's fightin woids on this site.) I think Boulevard is terrific -- and it makes me haul my butt clear across town right to the Bay.

So anyway -- you didn't ask for other recs but I'll offer this: SF is incredibly gifted with a whole range of Latin and Asian cuisines. Taking a walk in the Mission or down Clement Street in the inner Richmond is going to give you a choice of inexpensive, family-friendly places that don't get written up for the most part. I brought my family for a quickie lunch to Minh's Garden on Clement at 3rd Ave., and they told me our $35 meal for 4 was their favorite. Who knew they were going to love Vietnamese?

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

New American:  Zuni gets a lot of votes and I don't think it's bad.  I just have never been blown away by the food.  (And them's fightin woids on this site.)  I think Boulevard is terrific -- and it makes me haul my butt clear across town right to the Bay.

Fair enough, I've never found Zuni to be amazing but it’s consistently good whereas Boulevard ranges from abysmal to excellent depending on the dish, the time of day, the position of the moon, etc.

Thank You for all the suggestions are there any places to get good Chinese or Dim Sum right in the city because I saw that two places you mentioned were outside?

Try Lychee Garden on Powell (near Broadway) - it's great b/c you will be in an area where you can spend the day walking around. This place is situated more or less between Chinatown and North Beach (Italian section). And it's good - I went on the recommendation of a wise old Chinese man (the father of a good friend) - I found out why he was wise. It's about as authentic as it gets, but no frills (like Koi Palace). It has never disappointed my out of town guests.

After your dim sum induced food coma, go to Cafe Trieste for a double esperesso and a chocolate-dipped biscotti...have fun -

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Thank You all so much for your opinions please keep them coming I would like to try a whole range of restaurants while I am out there. Also going a little off topic can any of you recommended any good restaurants in the Palo Alto area or downtown San Jose

Thank You for all of your help I really am greatful!

518 Music

And of course you should also walk yourself up to Molinari's, across from some church where DiMaggio married Monroe, and marvel at what is, in my rarely humble opinion, the finest Italian deli (left) in San Francisco.

Is it true that we've lost others? It would be a shame. Italians and Italian-Americans built San Francisco, in part.

During a period working at the Exploratorium in the early 70s I commuted on the 30 Stockton bus, informally the "Orient Express" and aptly so, from the sequence of ethnic neighborhoods it traversed. Passing through an Italian-American corridor that always had slow traffic, I remember an older block of offices with decals on upper windows. "Guido J. Lenci, Attorney at Law. Guido J. Lenci, Insurance. Guido J. Lenci, Real Estate." Or similar lines. And of course there were those Sicilian immigrant families that settled in the South Bay and some of them went to SF and did well. Amadeo Peter Giannini (born 1870, San José) and his little project the Bank of America (originally the Bank of Italy); a few winemakers, etc.

Never did track down the story of Guido J. Lenci.

-- Max

• 2 weeks later...