• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling Vegetables on Outdoor Charcoal Grills

adt

What about a Canadian?  I often say I'm going to BBQ something... not grill it.   :smile:

Invariably, I find that my fellow Canadians refer to a gas grill as a BBQ. Now, maybe it's because my family never used an outdoor grill (just a tiny hibachi), but I've never referred to it as anything but a grill.

Jason, time to drive north and teach these people something about BBQ.

what about an Australian too?

ok lads tell me

what's the English dictionary definition of a barbeque? :raz:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Cauliflower (my fav! )...

Sounds good, I've been reading some of the (extensive!) thread on roasted cauliflower, but the original recipe link is now dead.

Anyone tried this on a charcoal grill? I think I'll try cutting a whole cauliflower head into big slabs, with as much stem intact as possible, so that they'll look good and lie nicely on the grid without falling through.

Does one precook the cauliflower in any way, or do you close the lid of the OutdoorCharcoalGrill (i.e. barbecue :raz:) and allow that to do the roasting?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Some of our favorites:

small to medium zuchinnis and yellow squash.  Cut in half, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill.  Serve with fresh basil.

Vidalia onions.  Peel onions and cut a cone shaped hole at the root end.  Fill the hole with butter and Worcestershire sauce and pepper.  Wrap in foil and bake in the oven for at least an hour at 350, until onions are getting soft.  Finish on the grill with more butter and Worcestershire to get nice grill brown.  You can cut these in half (a whole one is a big serving) but it's harder to keep them together on the grill.  You do get more browning area, though.

That sounds great but worchestershire sauce isn't vegetarian. It's got anchovies in it. Some vegetarians eat fish, but a lot don't.

No problem, use soy or whatever else you like.

In addition to meats, this is what I make for my vegetarian guests. Some of them are so finicky that I have to cook their stuff before I 'contanimate' the grill with animal stuff.

Paneer, Onion, Green Pepper chunks in tandoori marinade.

Other options are Potatoes, Aubergines, Okra, Cauliflower (my fav! )...

Couldnt take the picture after grilling as the stuff didnt have time to pose.  :biggrin:

vegshaslik.jpg

Would you mind sharing your tandoori maranade recipe. That looks very good. Thanks

What about a Canadian?  I often say I'm going to BBQ something... not grill it.   :smile:

Invariably, I find that my fellow Canadians refer to a gas grill as a BBQ. Now, maybe it's because my family never used an outdoor grill (just a tiny hibachi), but I've never referred to it as anything but a grill.

Jason, time to drive north and teach these people something about BBQ.

ok lads tell me

what's the English dictionary definition of a barbeque? :raz:

Umm... in Australia, most of the bbq's are flat tops aren't they? Not bars over wood or fuel but a flat metal piece that heats up. At least when I was there we had a heck of a time buying a bbq like we're used to.

But, it's a commonwealth thing. We know how to speak, and spell.

Having said that - I was typing up a recipe article last night and realized without thinking that I called it "grilled pizza" not bbq'd pizza. So maybe I don't always say bbq. I think they both work. It's only in the Southern US that bbq means to slow smoke something.... here we just call that smoking.

ok lads tell me

what's the English dictionary definition of a barbeque?  :raz:

This Canadian says barbecue too.

Hmmm. The English say barbecue. The Canucks say barbecue. The Aussies say barbecue.

Could it be that the Americans are the ones saying it wrong?

I think they both work.  It's only in the Southern US that bbq means to slow smoke something.... here we just call that smoking.

so do the korean and japanese :laugh:

righty-ho then

so let me get this straight

bbq = smoking - in southern US

bbq = grilling over hot coal - rest of the world

smoking = smoking - rest of the world

:laugh:

man that jason going to have to fly to a lot of countries to kick a lot of butts. :wink:

or could rename this thread:

Grilling Vegetables on Outdoor Charcoal Grills, Vegetarian "barbecue" for you British, Australian, Canandians, Japanese, Korean, yadda yadda yadda. :raz:

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Cauliflower (my fav! )...

Sounds good, I've been reading some of the (extensive!) thread on roasted cauliflower, but the original recipe link is now dead.

Anyone tried this on a charcoal grill? I think I'll try cutting a whole cauliflower head into big slabs, with as much stem intact as possible, so that they'll look good and lie nicely on the grid without falling through.

Does one precook the cauliflower in any way, or do you close the lid of the OutdoorCharcoalGrill (i.e. barbecue :raz:) and allow that to do the roasting?

adt,

I cut the Cauliflower into 4 - 6 vertical segments and parboil before marinading and grilling. I'd post a pic of my charcoal grill but it's got some Non vegetarian stuff on it. :unsure:

In addition to meats, this is what I make for my vegetarian guests. Some of them are so finicky that I have to cook their stuff before I 'contaminate' the grill with animal stuff.

Paneer, Onion, Green Pepper chunks in tandoori marinade.

Other options are Potatoes, Aubergines, Okra, Cauliflower (my fav! )...

Couldnt take the picture after grilling as the stuff didnt have time to pose.  :biggrin:

Would you mind sharing your tandoori maranade recipe. That looks very good. Thanks

Chantal,

Tandoori Marinade:

Quantity is sufficient for a whole chicken or a big head of cauliflower or 6 skewers as in picture.

1 cup hung/drained/thick yoghurt

1 tbsp ginger + garlic paste

1 tsp each of following powders:

red chilli

cumin

coriander

raw mango

turmeric

black pepper

cinnamon

cardamom

salt to taste

Use Oil, Butter or Ghee for basting.

You can vary these ingredients as per your personal preference and convenience.

Sometimes I just use yoghurt/cream, cinnamon, red chilli powder and saffron. :wub:

Here's another pic:

grillveg.jpg

Edited for a silly spelling mistake, I hope nobody realises it. :wacko:

Need to go back to school. :sad:

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Melted butter for basting was great, got some serious flames for a nice bit of charring. Did various vegetables on skewers in different marinades, all very successful, althought the cauliflower worked best in the fan oven.

The marinated tofu with satay sauce was good too (although the coconut milk I used was perhaps a bit thin, as the sauce came out too runny and had to be corrected).

Manage to find egg tofu as well, but unfortunately it was too insubsantial to stay on the skewers.

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...