• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

homesick

easternsun

hey folks,

i was born and raised in vangroovy. i usually lurk and occasionally post over in "japan" because that is where i hang my hat these days. this site has been incredibly helpful and the vancouver and west forum is just wonderful. i know that if i went home tomorrow i could more than impress the food lovers in my life by being somewhat up-to-date on good eats. i cant believe pho bich nga is closed, how sad! the last time i was home watermark (then unnamed and not yet under construction) was the cause for a big debate one day lounging at kits beach with friends. i bet all those who said it shouldn't have been built were some of its first customers :raz:

my dilemma: every august i am absolutely possessed by thoughts of home and most if not all of those thoughts revolve around food. today i took my arse for a run and all i could think about was what i would be eating if i was at my other home - VANCITY!

so here is a partial list: (some of these places may not exist anymore...some might just be awful :laugh: )

the hot dog vendor at english bay who seemed to have more condiments than any other vendor in town and on more than one occasion made my run "fun" by convincing me a veggie dog was the equivalent of the protein shake waiting for me at home :rolleyes: - negating the run entirely!

halibut and chips wrapped in news paper at white rock beach

fish and chips in stanley park near "the big log" (well, as much as i could eat before re-enacting a scene from "the birds")

drinks after work with my lady friends at cin cin.

joe forte's.

annual summer bbq with salmon that my dad catches in QCI

3 kick ass samosas for a dollar from the corner grocery :wub:

prawn burritos from topanga on west fourth - i used to walk there and then ask someone to roll me home....

veggie burgers and turkish coffee from wreck beach. i cant even remember if they tasted good - i am guessing that everything tastes good when you are topless and boozey in the mid day sun :wacko:

chianti (W.4th) for take out (or eat in) pasta.

the cannery - does anyone go there anymore? does it still exist?

sunday brunch on commerical drive :wub:

eggs benny with an ocean view!

burger and a beer for five bucks at the cambie - highly entertaining and a great bang for your bucks.

marios gelati....mario(((((((((((((((((((((damn fine stuff

kick ass chinese food. i am up for an east hastings adventure any day!

i must stop now as i am salivating all over the keyboard. before i do - i have to add one more:

greek food. i dont think i have ever been to a bad greek restaurant in vancouver. there are no greek restaurants in osaka :sad: turkish yes, greek no :sad::unsure:

:sad:

maybe one day i will be home and meet some of you crazy kids. until then,

enjoy your summer and your patios and your ocean views. you are very lucky and i envy you (until october when it starts raining everyday :wink: )

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

would like to add to your list: i miss wine from Okanagan valley, huge BC 'liquor store' and its great selection, the food the food the food. or something as simple as looking out the window and be amazed.

that's why i intentionally avoid looking at the YVR section :)

Kids - I hear you. I lived away from Vancouver for 11 years and finally returned this year and I really love it here.

Some of my food memories have been reconfirmed (especially the local Asian food scene) and some are not as good as I remember. But all in all - it is so f-king fantastic to be here. Especially when the local produce starts kicking in.

The best thing about Vancouver - there will always be a place at the table for you. The people here, for all of their quirks and food prejudices, are really fantastic.

i am guessing that everything tastes good when you are topless and boozey in the mid day sun  :wacko:

You are my new best friend....

Four years ago I took the family on an exchange to the west coast of Ireland for six months. We lived in a suburb of Galway. Now, a very interesting experience for everyone, but not a culinary one. Yes, I know you can find good food in Ireland, but the everyday food people sell, serve, and eat is atrocious, and certain ethnic cuisines simply could not be found. I had a party and I made sushi. Not one of the 25 Irish people who came had had it before, and many were reluctant to try it. And most of these people were university professors. I often saw people in the university cafeteria have a lunch of bacon, sausages, and a cigarette. In the same cafeteria there was a baked potato bar -- you grab a baked potato and heap different toppings on it. One of the toppings was potato salad .

Anyway, by month four we were playing a game during long car drives: what would we eat when we got back to Vancouver? The answers varied, but high on the list was sushi, dim sum, pho, crab, and salmon. We came to realize that Vancouver cuisine, for us, was about Oriental and sea foods. And yes, that first week back, we went nuts and ate every single thing on the list. It was glorious.

Paul B

We need a thread for gaellic cuisine horror stories. Like the time in Scotland I was asked if I wanted chips or baked as a side, bearing in mind of course that chips were already an included side, so really did I want double portion or baked? And a basket of chips were already on the table, very much like a basket of sliced bagette in France, or tortilla chips in Mexico. So really it was a triple portion of chips. Along with my entree, which was duck a la orange. That was one frightening meal.

When we are in London or Spain for extended periods of time we also miss the Asian influenced food scene. Nothing beats dim sum at Imperial.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

would like to add to your list: i miss wine from Okanagan valley, huge BC 'liquor store' and its great selection, the food the food the food.  or something as simple as looking out the window and be amazed.

oh! dont get me started on the okanagan!

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

would like to add to your list: i miss wine from Okanagan valley, huge BC 'liquor store' and its great selection, the food the food the food.  or something as simple as looking out the window and be amazed.

oh! dont get me started on the okanagan!

Toward the end of August I will be visiting Vancouver from Seattle then driving to the Okanagan Area and returning to Washington State going south.

Any recommendations about "Roadfood Places" to eat on the way and after arriving as well as where to stay during our sojourn into eastern BC are appreciated.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

i have recently gotten back from only a couple of weeks in europe and i desperately missed the vancouver food scene during that short amount of time! i think i ate only asian (dim sum, sushi and some good chinese home cookin a.k.a. "mom food") and seafood for the two weeks since i've been back... don't get me wrong, europe for the most part was great but it just wasn't as varied and as fresh as home. damn, i love the food here!