• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Humorous Food Signs

glossyp

This was spotted on an island that will remain unnamed. It's not quite as good as the "Fresh Fish & Shoe Repair" sign that I never got a good photo of before it blew away in a storm.

gallery_19742_1580_3003.jpg

Anyone else out there with a funny sign to share?

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Wish I had a picture. On the sign at the gas station (also a deli and grocery store) in Orr earlier this year: "eat pizza, get gas." We didn't eat pizza, but we did get gas (@ $1.89/gallon!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I mentioned this a while back in another thread, but it bears repeating in this context.

I was living in Charleston, South Carolina in 1981. We would often travel across James Island to Folly Beach. On Folly Road on James Island was an old Kentucky Fried Chicken place that had a huge old neon sign that looked like this:

KENTUCKY

FRIED

CHICKEN

Well, night would fall and it turned out that some of the letters were burned out. The sign stayed this way all summer.

UCKY

FRIED

ICK

I couldn't make that up! :laugh:

I live in a small city...mostly a farming community that grew - it's not exactly a bastion of fine food, never mind ethnic specialties. We were driving up to the lake last night and stumbled upon:

Hot Dogs

Ice Cream

Popsicles

Gas

Propane

Bulgogi

BULGOGI?! At a gas station? In Chilliwack? The horror. I am going to go there for lunch, just to see what the deal is.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

For months, a pizza joint near the university here sported a sign (the kind with plastic letter tiles) from which one letter fell off; it read:

SPECIAL

BIG LICE $4.95

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

:laugh:

On one of the smaller highways crossing the West Virginia/Virginia border, there is a Shell gasoline station with a grill that serves burgers and such.

One of the letters fell off the sign, and was not replaced for about a year.

Everytime we drove by, what we saw was:

"HELL"

"Try our Angel Steaks for only $4.95!"

(Never did find out what an Angel Steak was. . . :blink: )

I actually have a picture of this one. It's on my phone. I will have to download it when I get home.

There is a local seafood place, not far from my house (I live pretty much right on the Gulf) that recently posted this on the big giant chalkboard in front of the place:

Big Fat Females-$12 per dozen

I bought some. I can attest to the quality of the crabs being vended. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Here is a rural Alabama entry.

No photo for this one, but a local convenience store had the following on the signboard by the road - "Deli open/Sausage Egg Biscuits Special/Fish Guts." Yes, they sold fish bait too. I still wouldn't want to eat anything from their "deli".

Dave

In Kankakee, IL there's a restaurant called Sam 'n' Ella's. :blink:

In a supermarket in Kankakee, I once saw a display of banana hangers next to the bananas, and posted next to the banana hangers was some promotional material that must have come from the distributor -

"Display these banana hangers next to the bananas and enjoy the results of high profit impulse buying!"

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

When I was 11 & we were on summer vacation, we went throgh Houston & I remember seeing a sign for a burger joint that said, "Over 2 dozen sold". It was combined with a bait shop type of store.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

In Kankakee, IL there's a restaurant called Sam 'n' Ella's.   :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh My God that is funny!! There is a commercial running for the Lotto 649 that is a play on odds. This particular one is about the odds of having a succesful restaurant.... named "Sam n' Ella's Chicken" :laugh::laugh:

Edited by peppyre (log)

About a year or so ago when Burger King introduced their Angus Burger, a location near me put up a message on the marquee reading "Try our new Angus Burger". During the night, someone removed the G in Angus and moved the letters together. When I drove by early the next morning to go to work, the sign said "Try our new Anus Burger". Wish I had a camera, I wolud've sent a picture to Jay Leno.

John the hot dog guy

During the night, someone removed the G in Angus and moved the letters together. When I drove by early the next morning to go to work, the sign said "Try our new Anus Burger".

Does Taco Bell have some kind of beef with the United Nations? :rolleyes:

Hope that Kofi Annan doesn't get wind of this but a fast food outlet had on their sign "Think outside the UN" ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

First, there is an "Epstein's Bar."

Urgh. The only question here is which is the best come-back to use to this one.

"That bar is totally exhausting!" (?)

"Go to that bar too often and you'll get a syndrome!" (?)

"If you thought you were tired before you walked in, just wait till you walk out!" (?)

(Though actually if it's on the Lower East Side. . .who knows? Maybe they specialize in "Energy Drinks" :rolleyes: )

Poor Epstein, whoever he is. :huh:

Epstein's Bar

82 Stanton St

New York, NY 10002

(212) 477-2232

Apparently it is not named after the virus but, rather, according to CitySearch, "it's actually a tribute to Welcome Back Kotter's fun-loving Puerto Rican Jew, Warren Epstein--a hero of the bar's owners."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Epstein's Bar

82 Stanton St

New York, NY 10002 

(212) 477-2232

Apparently it is not named after the virus but, rather, according to CitySearch, "it's actually a tribute to Welcome Back Kotter's fun-loving Puerto Rican Jew, Warren Epstein--a hero of the bar's owners."

Oh. So you're saying there is a SERIOUS reason for the name.

Sounds good to me. . . :wink:

About a year or so ago when Burger King introduced their Angus Burger, a location near me put up a message on the marquee reading "Try our new Angus Burger". During the night, someone removed the G in Angus and moved the letters together. When I drove by early the next morning to go to work, the sign said "Try our new Anus Burger".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Served on freshly baked BUNS!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

In Kankakee, IL there's a restaurant called Sam 'n' Ella's.  :blink:

In a supermarket in Kankakee, I once saw a display of banana hangers next to the bananas, and posted next to the banana hangers was some promotional material that must have come from the distributor -

"Display these banana hangers next to the bananas and enjoy the results of high profit impulse buying!"

In my sanitation certification class, our instructor told us about Sam N Ella's - it used to be another restaurant that was shut down because of Samonella - now THAT'S a sense of humor....

"Never eat more than you can lift." --Miss Piggy

A friend down in CA shared these gems with me:

Our favorite (now defunct) noodle shop advertised "fried wantons".  And then there's the "blackened cajun rump" pub sign from Monmouth Or "frank steak"

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...