• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Humorous Food Signs

glossyp

A banner on  the front of a Middle Eastern restaurant in Dearborn:

"Now serving Homos"

You mean they weren't before? :)

I just took this near Hagia Sophia:

gallery_38081_3012_2029.jpg

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Heheh, we had a Phuu Ping (Pronounced "poo ping") Thai restaurant in Seattle. Evidently Phuu Ping is the name of a famous mountain in N. Thailand. After several months the name changed to Lanna Thai. The owner was the same. I said "I see you changed your name." "Yeahhhhh...." "You know what it sound-" "Yeah, we knoooowww." :)

gallery_8685_2132_487477.jpg

:shock:  oh, dear...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

One of my favorite restaurants in Cairo has a sign outside the door, trying to entice visitors to come in. Unfortunately my photos didn't come out, but some of the better text is:

Experience the best + the worse as in Aesop's Fable

Eat unpronouncable and undescribable dishes at the oldest restaurant

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an internet one, straight from the Turkish Ministry of Culture

(Read the title carefully.)

Edited by sazji (log)

-Lea de Laria