• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Humorous Food Signs

glossyp

My memory is cloudy on this one--it may actually be an apocryphal story I've hijacked--but I remember seeing a sign on the serving line at the Kansas Union (the student union at the University of Kansas) that was a twist on a restaurant staple:

"We reserve the right to serve refuse to anyone."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

MarketStEl just reminded me of one of my favorites, also courtesy of the Kansas Union in the '70s...about once a week the hot-food line would feature an entree called, unfortunately, porcupine balls. You could tell when you walked in the door -- just from the sound level and levity -- what the special was on those days.

And I wish I had the picture with me to scan (yes, scan...it was decades ago): a little strip mall in Canon City CO, wherein a hair salon, a shoeshine and a taxidermist:

Fluff 'em

Buff 'em

Stuff 'em

Oh, wait, there's not really any food involved there. Good job I remembered the porcupine balls, then, eh? :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

When I was at university there was a very low quality fast food place called Benis, and one night someone snapped off the bottom curve of the B.......

They didn't fix it for months, figuring the new name might be more memorable, until local residents started complaining.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

It was in a food court in the basement of a department store in Seoul S. Korea. There was a picture of a dog, it looked like the one in the Hush Puppy commercials, and it had a big red circle around it with the red slash across it. I asked if it meant no pets allowed and I was told No, it means we don't serve dog meat.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

There used to be a small place near a local lake that had two hanging signs, one directly beneath the other, that read:

EAT

minnows

Not surprisingly, the signs survived many years longer than the busness did.

Just came across this one in Portland, Oregon. The place has closed -- moved to another location, according to the note on the door -- so I hope some civic do-gooder or deranged bar owner has arranged for the sign to be prserved for a sniggering posterity.

gallery_7296_1706_439734.jpg

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

There's a sandwich bar in central Oxford called Heroes. You can see a picture of it here, about half way down the page on the left.

Its logo is the word "Heroes" written in the white cursive font on a green background. I remember the double-take I had when some presumably drunken student decided to paint an extra white stripe on the sign, turning the "o" into a remarkably realistic "p". :hmmm:

Edited to add: for what it's worth, it's a good place to stop for a sandwich if you're in the centre of Oxford.

Edited by Stigand (log)

Still a personal favorite... no doubt a tribute to multicultural sensitivity in the workplace...

porkribs.jpg

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

gallery_29043_1737_66536.jpg

OK I thought this was pretty funny- funny enough to take a picture anyway. We passed it on our touring bus in Rome- unforuntately we didn't get a chance to stop and see what they had but I definately have never seen a Chinese restaurant pizzeria before :raz:

OK I thought this was pretty funny- funny enough to take a picture anyway. We passed it on our touring bus in Rome- unforuntately we didn't get a chance to stop and see what they had but I definately have never seen a Chinese restaurant pizzeria before  :raz:

If you want a second chance and don't want to fly to Italy, go to Saskatchewan. There are several in the province, including a few that will also serve "Canadian Food" for those clients who don't want Chinese or pizza.

gallery_29043_1737_66536.jpg

OK I thought this was pretty funny- funny enough to take a picture anyway. We passed it on our touring bus in Rome- unforuntately we didn't get a chance to stop and see what they had but I definately have never seen a Chinese restaurant pizzeria before  :raz:

We saw one of these in Padua this Spring. I think it's like the Chinese restaurants here in the US that also serve a hamburger or a steak so if you go to dinner with the family Uncle Lou doesn't have to eat that "weird foreign food". I'm guessing this would be so that Uncle Luigi can find something safe on the menu too?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 1 month later...

gallery_19742_1580_8849.jpg

Another treat from Josie at Latitude 13

If you click on the link you'll see another fun food-related sign and if you scroll down a bit you'll see a most lovely photo of the beach under the entry "freeze" - a little something for any of you who are dreading winter.

edited to add info

Edited by glossyp (log)

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen at a lunch counter near my office. I'll need to take a picture of this one:

Special Flounder Platter

fried flounder filet

cole slaw &

tar sauce

FF & soda

$5.50

Gross on so many levels. And to think I'm most bothered by the fact that they couldn't spring an extra two bucks for three more letters.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

There is a "Semen Büfe" in my neighborhood....

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria