• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amari

Jim Dixon

4 hours ago, BillBuitenhuys said:

Not at all similar, IMO. To me, it tasted like very diluted Campari.

(re Peychaud's amaro) Ugh. Thanks for saving me.

BTW the Contralto Bitter is very good. I haven't compared it side-by-side with Campari yet though.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

From Diffords

Difford's Guide Rating 4/5 [recommended]

Peychaud's Aperitivo Liqueur

As bitter Italian aperitivos [sic] go, Peychaud's is on the light side - slightly drier and rootier than Aperol but much tamer than the likes of Campari. Low in alcohol, this is a middle of the road crowd-pleasing Aperitivo.

Sound boring to me...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I quite liked a Negroni riff a friend made me recently using Tattersall Bitter Orange. Tattersall is a local distillery (Minneapolis) and I'd imagine the distribution might be limited to the region, but it's worth keeping an eye out for it.

Essentially this Campari substitute emerges from state liquor laws: as I understand it, to sell alcohol at a distillery you're restricted to spirits and liqueurs made on-site. Thus Tattersall (which started with [excellent] gin and vodka) has wound up producing a very wide product line with their own fernet, bitter orange, cherry liqueur, creme de fleur, etc., so that they can offer Hanky Pankies, Negronis, slings, Aviations, etc. in their cocktail room. For amari, besides the Bitter Orange they have a Tattersall Fernet (which I liked on my quick tasting - not as methol-ly as Branca I think) and a Tattersall Amaro (which I haven't tried). 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Brad Thomas Parsons' book Amaro has a section of small, 2 ingredient drinks - basically shots, containing one or more amari, starting with the Hard Start (Fernet-Branca + Branca Menta).

I'm a sipper, not a shooter but I've been enjoying the Jimbo for an after dinner sip.  It calls for 3/4 oz rye, floated over 3/4 oz Amaro Meletti.  

IMG_4200.jpg

That gets a little sweet once I've sipped off most of the rye xD so I've been mixing 1/2 oz Rittenhouse + 1/2 oz Meletti and then floating another 1/4 oz of rye over the top.

• Like 1

It's crazy to me that the very simple (and very good) shot Jimbo used to pour his coworkers during/after a shift has become a recognized and published drink. 

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 10 months later...

I recently found a recipe for 'generic' amari so today I've started some off:

Amaro.png

This is wormwood (from the garden) for the bitter, lavender/juniper/cardamom/cloves for the dried ingredients, kawakawa (local stuff - that's the big leaves)/rosemary/mint/thyme/orange zest/lemon zest for the fresh, all in a litre of 88.5% alcohol.  This will take a week or three to infuse, but I'll keep you posted.

• Like 7

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Overnight, good evidence infusion is happening.  Observe delicious green:

Amaro2.png

I know from previous experience with other infusions it won't end up looking like that, but I'll enjoy the sight while it lasts.

I wouldn't expect much more in the way of visual changes for the rest of the process, so don't hold your collective breath for too many more daily updates!

• Like 5

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

• 4 weeks later...

OK, we have a result - all strained, sweetended, bottled and labelled (after I took the photo) this afternoon:

Amaro.png

I'm surprised how much green has remained, although I have no doubt it will fade further.  There's certainly none left in the foliage:

Dregs.png

The taste is great at this early stage.  There's nothing I can identify (except possibly some star anise that isn't in there.  So much for my palate ...).  Experience with other infusions tells me this will continue to develop in the bottle, but I'm happy with my first attempt at an original recipe.

• Like 5

My eG Foodblog

@EvergreenDan, I have a glass of the La Sirena Clandestina house amaro one at my elbow as we speak.  Highly recommended.

Now, speaking hypothetically, should one desire to post the recipe to a highly-regarded cocktail site, what would one call it ... ?

• Like 1

My eG Foodblog

7 minutes ago, lesliec said:

@EvergreenDan, I have a glass of the La Sirena Clandestina house amaro one at my elbow as we speak.  Highly recommended.

Now, speaking hypothetically, should one desire to post the recipe to a highly-regarded cocktail site, what would one call it ... ?

Arachnamaro?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

1 hour ago, lesliec said:

I think cocktail bitters would be appropriate

It's almost never bad to feed someone.