• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Hand Held Batter Dispenser

mignardise

Ah...well...on a recent trip to the Orient.

Saw lots of small sponge cakes baked in small muffin/loaf pans, and the batter was dispensed using a conical/funnel type of dispenser. Hand held, and with a trigger handle to release the batter.

Scooping with a disher is fine for certain applications. Pastry bag...humbug.

This thing looked easy.

Anyone?

they do make funnels for this use.  I use a small one to get toffee into small silicone molds.  I found larger ones online last year but they were out of my price range.  jb prince maybe?

I think I remember seeing in the equipment supply catalogues from sysco/us food service etc a pancake batter dispenser that fits that description.

I think I remember seeing in the equipment supply catalogues from sysco/us food service etc a pancake batter dispenser that fits that description.

Yep. Way back in my misspent youth I worked at McDonald's (small town -- not too many job options for 16-year-olds). We used something that sounded exactly like that for pancake batter.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

We have a pancake dropper but I think the opening would be too large for a small pan, the bottom is about 3 inches across. We also have a fondant funnel or sauce gun which I use for some things but it would not drop a batter or dough that is thick, only rather liquid. They have the sauce guns at J B Prince about $150

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I have one of the funnel things with a small enough opening--it'd be a pain in the boo for muffins--you would have to stop & load constantly or if it was a greater capacity you would have to hover over the pan with all that weight--a nice measuring cup would be more practical, easier to load, easier to pour. But the ice cream scoops are even easier I think unless you pipe it in--but then you gotta load the bag. I vote for ice cream scoop.

The funnel things are perfect for quick running batter--but muffins are too gloppy I think. If that still is in your plans, look for where concession stand people would purchase funnel cake supplies.

(I'm echoing several other folks here)

Okay, I was afraid of this not explaining every detail in my initial post.............let me clarify.......using muffin pans, small mini types, just using the vehicle, but not using thick muffin batter. I am thinking more of a liquid type batter.

Trishiad, Pastrymama.....thanks.......saw it in my old JB Prince catalog...that looks like the ones I am looking for. Sauce guns or fondant funnels. I'll check out Sysco as well.

Saw lots of pancake dispensers online. Not looking for pancake dispensers, although pancake batter is relatively on the thin side.

But, all the ones I came across had wide bottoms as Pastrymama said.

Thanks all.....appreciate the replies!!

In pinch you can try a large funnel with a small bottom opening and a wooden spoon handle stuck in it. Pour your batter in, hold it over the pans and lift up the spoon to let some out--drop it back into the funnel to stop the flow. We used to make funnel cakes this way.

It's not the destination, but the journey!

this is completely random and slightly channeling Alton Brown, but what about using a cauk(sp?) gun?

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

I have one of the large batter droppers for pancakes (for when I used to do pancake breakfasts for fund raisers).

I have used it for filling cupcake pans - I simply used silicone glue (the food-safe kind) and glued a canning jar funnel for the small-mouth jars onto the bottom of the appliance.

When finished, the silicone simple pulls off cleanly.

I got it at Star Restaurant supply and it cost about $140.00 a few years ago.

It's called a Pancake Chef batter dispenser.

Pancake Chef

It holds a lot of batter, I can fill a 24 x 36 griddle twice with 4 inch pancakes.

I also used it for filling "muffin top" pans as it can be set to dispense exact portions - it has 9 settings to control how much batter is dropped at a time.

I also use it to dispense sauces, mayo, sour cream sauces, and etc. into small condiment dishes.

It has a lot of uses other than just dispensing batter. Again, I simply glue a jar filler funnel onto the bottom.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Okay, I was afraid of this not explaining every detail in my initial post.............let me clarify.......using muffin pans, small mini types, just using the vehicle, but not using thick muffin batter. I am thinking more of a liquid type batter.

Trishiad, Pastrymama.....thanks.......saw it in my old JB Prince catalog...that looks like the ones I am looking for. Sauce guns or fondant funnels. I'll check out Sysco as well.

Saw lots of pancake dispensers online. Not looking for pancake dispensers, although pancake batter is relatively on the thin side.

But, all the ones I came across had wide bottoms as Pastrymama said.

Thanks all.....appreciate the replies!!

Just an idea.....what about one of those funnel cake dispensers?