• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inspired by StudioKitchen

percyn

Coincidentally, guess what I made this past weekend with sweet local corn? I left it a bit thicker, by not straining it too fine.

not coincidentally, guess what i made the other night?

the key word in the recipe is 'gently'--if you boil the mixture, it starts to taste less like pure sweetcorn, and more like this corn pudding my family makes, which is delicious in its own right, but is something else entirely.

A celebration of Summer's Bounty

Taking advantage of the abundance of sweet local corn, I made

Essence of corn soup, with lobster, truffles and tomato - Added a dollop of white truffle butter, which melted in the pic.

gallery_21049_162_50081.jpg

Made with fresh sweet corn straight from a local farm and a 2lb lobster. Great little trick on cutting corn kernels, from Cook's Illustrated

gallery_21049_162_81787.jpg

gallery_21049_162_120841.jpg

Tomato Water Risotto with Shrimp and Lobster (including lobster roe) - Not as well executed as Shola's version here on the StudioKitchen thread, but OK for a home cook. I used Bomba rice (which I found at Wegmans) for this risotto. Sauteed some sweet onions and sprinkled with fennel fleur de sel before serving

gallery_21049_162_67803.jpg

gallery_21049_162_55261.jpg

Amazing flavor from the Amish grown tomatoes I picked up from the local farmer's market.

gallery_21049_162_1368.jpg

Since I had a bit of lobster left over, breakfast was

Lobster and hot spring egg with white truffle foam

gallery_21049_162_60345.jpg

gallery_21049_162_48783.jpg

The foam was made with white truffle butter (and some black truffle butter) mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 in an ISI whipper. Could have benefited from a stabilizer or more fat.

gallery_21049_162_57596.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

• 1 month later...

I used the Studiokitchen corn soup as a base to make a summer fish chowder. My goal was to make a soup that had lots of flavor, but would be lighter than most chowdas. The corn soup was perfect for this; as all the people who've made it or who've had it at Studiokitchen can attest, it manages to be both light and rich at once.

I made the corn soup (thanks to Percy for the de-kerneling hint!) and added it to:

- roasted fingerling potatoes (from Livengood's),

- some reserved corn kernels,

- steamed haricots verts, because I had them on hand,

- cod. (Deena, I gave the cod fillets a quick cure, rinsed and dried them, and pan-roasted them).

Here's a photo:

gallery_7432_3413_42047.jpg

A great one-bowl summer meal.

Wow - fantastic dishes throughout this thread. I wish we had something like SK here in the UK!

Percy, I am particularly impressed with your dishes, would you be gooed enough to share your recipes for your Skate and risotto?

Thanks! :biggrin:

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Thanks Ravelda, but the credit belongs to Shola, I am merely trying to (unsucessfully) recreate his masterpieces.

If I recall correctly, the Skate wing (cartilage removed) was cut in half, then doubled over so that the ridges/fingers interlocked and was given a quick sear. Next, sautee the leeks, including some julienned pieces to use as a topping. I also sauteed some asparagus I wanted to use up. Remove the julienned pieces of leeks, add some stock (veal or chicken), reduce. Crush 4-5 (or more) Sichuan peppercorns into the broth. Voila !! Easy !!

As for the Tomato water rissoto, grind 2lbs (or more) ripe, juicy tomatoes in a blender, place in chinois and depending on how "pulp free" you want the water to be, you can pass it through a coffee filter or a nylon stocking covering the chinios. Let it strain for 24 hrs or until enough water has been extracted. Then use it to make rissotto the way you normally would, expect use the tomato water instead of regular water (if you run out, you can substitute some regular water). I usually coat bomba rice in olive oil, then add a bit of the liquid at a time, occassionally stirring. Add shrimp, or lobster if desired. The tomato water gives an very intense flavor but if you want, you can even add a bit of the pulp for a more rustic version.

Cheers

Percy

Percyn, you are too modest, those dishes look fantastic. Thanks for the recipes - I will have a go and let you know how it turns out!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I tried making the StudioKitchen corn soup as described here in this thread, with pretty disappointing results. I used 4 cobs of sweet Jersey corn to 4 cups of whole milk, let it steep for an hour in the fridge, blended, strained, and then heated slowly till the milk barely started to froth. Problem is, the milk never really thickened at all. I've never had the SK original, but I know this is supposed to be be pretty light. Still, what I ended up with was just warm milk with a subtle corn flavor. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?

Thanks,

-al

---

al wang

al- you need to heat the corn and milk for about an hour or so first.this will draw the starch out of the corn and thicken the milk.then i immersion blend it, let it steep a bit more, then pass through a chinios. also, maybe you did this, remove kernels from cobs.

you can always thicken it up with a little lechitin as well. (assuming you have some)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

also, you don't need 4 kernels worth of corn for 4 cups of milk. 2 cobs worth of kernels will do. i usually steep the cobs with the kernels and milk. obviously, remove the cobs before immersion blending.

Trying to squeeze the last bits of summer in, I made the corn soup. Since I have yet to get a chinoise, I used a regular strainer. Because of this, the soup was not as smooth as the SK version, but it delicious nonetheless.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

With all this great sweet corn this summer, I can't stop making that corn soup. I followed Shola's basic instructions, but with the wkl twist: I steeped the cobs for a while too....

Karen, get yourself a fine sieve, even if it's not a super-expensive chinoise, it'll make a big difference. Or if you're patient, put some cheesecloth in your strainer. I can't remember what make mine is, but it's not a big professional chinoise, and still strains finely enough that I get a nice smooth texture.

This time I poured the soup around some sautéed wild mushrooms. Just a perfect summer dish.

gallery_23992_2282_21091.jpg

Followed it up with another SK-inspired dish, the "green bean" risotto (with peas and edamame.) I couldn't resist tossing in some of the wild mushrooms, and left out the crab that Shola put in his, so that I could add some cheese. As a result, it ended up not quite as pretty of a color as Shola's, and obviously not nearly as elegant, but it was pretty darn tasty, if you'll forgive the self-congratulations....

gallery_23992_2282_24096.jpg

Only a frail simulation of the transcendent dishes we've had at SK, but not bad on a summer night...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I made the corn soup tonight a a starter to go along with a couple of dishes from the Jose Andres Tapas book. Since I had only heavy cream and skim milk I used a cup of cream and three of skim. I added salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. I did not add anything else or pour it over solid ingredients. In fact I served it in a cup. While not quite the same as enjoying it in Shola's dining room, it was quite nice nevertheless.

Thanks, Percy, for sharing that tip about using the bundt pan to trim the kernels from the cob! It worked well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i can honestly say that i've had shola's corn soup more time this summer than corn on the cob.

this past w/e i borrowed the soup and sandwich idea that started a couple sk meals. made salmon using the method from the copper river thread and used it in panini's to go with corn soup. nice match.

btw, anyone else finding corn ridiculously sweet? some corn i've had this summer tastes like a corn candy bar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If I recall correctly, the Skate wing

What sauce did you use for the skate wing, i am trying to recreate this at home and am not sure what gigondas sauce is exactly

As for the Tomato water rissoto

Another question, did you finish this with a lot of dairy, like parmesan or marscapone? Just wondering if the dairy would ruin the clean taste of the rissotto.

Thanks in advance