• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Overreacting @ Restaurant Mistakes?

Sam Salmon

If you'd ever lived in Canada you'd know that we're an apathetic lot-I might do a bit to save the staff some heat-I might not.

Living in the same city/province/country as Sam ... *sigh* ... he's right. Most of us are pretty laissez-faire. Although, there was this one time ...

True story: Had dinner at a local "greek" restaurant with a friend. Usual fare - tsatziki, hummus, spanikopita, etc. My dining companion was an excellent greek cook, and commented to me the tsatziki tasted kinda wierd. I tasted ... it was Kraft "Creamy Cucumber" dressing with some shaved cucumber!! In addition, the spanikopta was soggy and chewy ... crap by any standard. Except the owner's apparently.

We told the waitress we didn't want them as they were inedible and to please remove them from the bill. Yet when the bill was presented, the aforementioned items were still there! We brought this to the attention of the waitress who informed us the owner said we had ordered the items so we had to pay for them.

We asked to speak to the manager. He repeats his point. We repeat ours. Nobody's moving, so I say "Fine, just give us the items we returned and I'll take them home for the dog" (over the top?? :laugh: ). He says they're already thrown out. "Then we're not paying for something we didn't receive" and we go to leave.

He screams out "THIEF" and yells at the waitress to call the cops. We sit down on the couch, not wanting to cause a further scene, and wait for the cops. While we're waiting, anybody who comes in asks us if we're waiting for a table. We politely inform them why we're waiting. Two couples leave.

The police arrive. Manager explains his side. Cop takes my dinner companion and I outside and says "Simple contract law ... you ordered, you pay. The fact that it wasn't any good doesn't play here. If you want to sue him later for failure to deliver, different story. Bottom line, pay the man".

So we did, and I never returned. And I told everyone I know this story. He went out of business less than a year later. :rolleyes:

A.

If you'd ever lived in Canada you'd know that we're an apathetic lot-I might do a bit to save the staff some heat-I might not.

Living in the same city/province/country as Sam ... *sigh* ... he's right. Most of us are pretty laissez-faire. Although, there was this one time ...

True story: Had dinner at a local "greek" restaurant with a friend. Usual fare - tsatziki, hummus, spanikopita, etc. My dining companion was an excellent greek cook, and commented to me the tsatziki tasted kinda wierd. I tasted ... it was Kraft "Creamy Cucumber" dressing with some shaved cucumber!! In addition, the spanikopta was soggy and chewy ... crap by any standard. Except the owner's apparently.

We told the waitress we didn't want them as they were inedible and to please remove them from the bill. Yet when the bill was presented, the aforementioned items were still there! We brought this to the attention of the waitress who informed us the owner said we had ordered the items so we had to pay for them.

We asked to speak to the manager. He repeats his point. We repeat ours. Nobody's moving, so I say "Fine, just give us the items we returned and I'll take them home for the dog" (over the top?? :laugh: ). He says they're already thrown out. "Then we're not paying for something we didn't receive" and we go to leave.

He screams out "THIEF" and yells at the waitress to call the cops. We sit down on the couch, not wanting to cause a further scene, and wait for the cops. While we're waiting, anybody who comes in asks us if we're waiting for a table. We politely inform them why we're waiting. Two couples leave.

The police arrive. Manager explains his side. Cop takes my dinner companion and I outside and says "Simple contract law ... you ordered, you pay. The fact that it wasn't any good doesn't play here. If you want to sue him later for failure to deliver, different story. Bottom line, pay the man".

So we did, and I never returned. And I told everyone I know this story. He went out of business less than a year later. :rolleyes:

A.

As the estimable Burma Jones used to say, "Whoa! Intimidatia!"

That's unbelievable.