• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first tart attempt

JeAnneS

Hi everyone :)

I just thought I would share pics from my first attempt at tart making. I am taking an amateur pastry and baking class at ICE this summer and thought I could share. This is my first time posting pics so I hope I do it right :wub:

JeAnne

Raspberry Almond Frangippane

tart2.jpg

Banana Hazelnut Rum Tart

tart4.jpg

Poached Pear Almond Frangippane

tart6.jpg

Tarte Tatin

tart7.jpg

Assorted Fruit and Lemon Curd Tartlets

tart9.jpg

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

Wow! They all look great. I expecially like how you've arranged the fruit in the raspberry tart. Now if only I could taste everything. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The pear frangipane looks especially beautiful. Which tart tasted the best? What sort of pan did you use for the tarte tartin? :smile:

aww thanks :wub: Visually that's my favorite too. As to which tasted the best, it's really hard to choose between the tarte tatin and the banana hazelnut. But then again I love love love lemon curd :blink: and french pastry cream... :rolleyes: hopeless! The tarte tatin is awesome because the apples are really caramelized and just so sweet and rich. The banana one is yummy because I'm just a sucker for the banana hazelnut combo and the frangippane is delicious. Next time I would add a layer of chocolate just for that extra over the topness :laugh: The pan for the tarte was a stainless steel 9" ? You make the caramel sauce, cook the apples down in it and then layer the brisee over the top and pop it in the oven. When it comes out you cool it and flip it over so the crust is on the bottom.

-BtVS

Looks like you are a tart-Jedi (or should that be tart-titan?), JeAnneS. I like the look of the pear tart. Did you use a tart dough instead of puff pastry for the tart tatin?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

these look amazing... congrats on a very successful day of baking!

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Looks like you are a tart-Jedi (or should that be tart-titan?), JeAnneS. I like the look of the pear tart. Did you use a tart dough instead of puff pastry for the tart tatin?

The dough is pate brisee..puff pastry is next week's lesson :biggrin:

-BtVS