• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slovenia Road Trip

I will be hosting a conference in Portoroz on the Adriatic first week in October, and am contemplating driving around Slovenia for a day or two afterwards, ending up in Ljublana. I figured, after leaving Portoroz, one night somewhere on the road and one night in Ljublana before flying back to the States, and I would love to visit wineries or places of interest or ANYTHING (Foodandwine magainze recently did a little blurb on the resurgence of the Slovenian wine industry and in particular the use of amphorae for aging). Any suggestions and recommendations are heartily welcome (including any suggestions for Portoroz -- hotel food is always so depressing!).

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

We were in Slovenia last week and I highly recommend going to Ljubljana. It´s absolutely gorgeous, especially at night. Go to Movia, a wine bar that also makes their own wine, which is one of Slovenia´s best. The winery itself is located on the Western border and is pretty much as close to Italy as you can get. Anyway, she will be more than helpful about pointing you into the right direction. Have a wonderful time and definitely explore the countryside - so green and lush and rolling. Beautiful country!

A, thanks for this. Details!! Were you in the countryside? Where did you go? Where did you stay? I will definitely spend a night in Llubjlana before flying back, but were you outside the city at all?

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

We're still on the road (currently in Romania) and I promise I'll put more details when I return in the beginning of September (I saw you aren't leaving until October). It's probably best if I e-mail you, as it's more trip-oriented than food, but yes, we did spend a lot of time in the countryside on the western side along the river and stayed at a couple of lakes and visited some great castles. It will be gorgeous in the fall. We camped, but hotels are definitely plentiful. And the trout is amazing!

Let me know if September is too late for your planning.

Having spent a week in the early spring in Slovenia, i came away reallly impressed. Lbjulana was a loveletter of a town and the food, on the whole was good. There is a restaurant that every local tells you to go to (located about a block down from the Town Hall); it is not good. In fact it is hokey and probably a rip off but where Slovenians go to celebrate nonetheless.

The Slovenian wines I had while on the trip were decent, but should have done a better job of trying them out as I must have missed the ones that I would have written articles about.

Nevertheless there were some great eats along the way. The food is hearty if nothing else: stag steaks, wild boar goulash, fried cheese wedges, steaks with gorgonzola sauce.

If you travel through the country having your own car is a real blessing as the bus/train schedules were a little eratic and disappointing. Good country "plastina's" would be worth your time to stop in and eat at though.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

• 2 weeks later...

If you drive up to Ljubljana, take the long route up the Soca River Valley and stop for lunch in Kanal nad Soca, a small village about a half hour drive up from the coast. Behind the main square, down a small street overlooking the Soca river, is an amazingly great small restaurtant with a terrace overlooking the river. Basically northern Italian cuisine - roast, polenta with fontina cheese, good soups. The town is tiny so everybody can tell you where it is - the teenagers all speak English.

The wines from the Istrian coast are by far the best.

The Alps on this route are fantastic - take your time and sty over in Bovec or near Trglav.

Go trout fishing, it is considered one of the world's choicest spots and the season, I believe, goes into October.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our trip and here are the brief details of our five days by car in Slovenia, entering from the south by way of Trieste, Italy

Predjamski Grad - fascinating castle built in the rocks (drive past and skip the Postojnska Jama, which are caves). If you're into castles, it's a must.

Kobarid - cute town and on the gorgeous Soca River. Eat lunch at Restauracija, which has incredible trout and potatoes smothered in garlic

Lake Bohnij - great small lake and perfect to canoe for a couple of hours or bike around; great fish restaurants

Lake Bled - more of a tourist spot, but beautiful with a great castle - both lakes will be gorgeous in the fall

Ljubliana - stayed at Hotel Mraku, which was a great deal at I think $100; don't remember where we ate, but go to Movia, the wine bar

Ptuj - known for the Terme (thermal baths), but also picturesque town on the river; ate a traditional Slovenian meal at Amadeus and my husband couldn't get over how incredible his steak was.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

When are you free exactly (days, dates)? I'm in Ljubljana at the moment and will be in early October. I can give you any information you might need. Just let me know what sort of itinerary you have in mind, and I'll recommend something, interesting winemakers, good restaurants, whatever.

• 10 years later...

Slovenia is the small EU country that combines mediteranean and alpine world. It is small but have a lot to offer (Bled, coastal Piran, arhitecture of Jože Plečnik, churc on Bled etc, etc) - but the most important it has a lot of places, where you can enjoy in diferent foods.

It is nice here - Tomy

Edited by Tomy6699 (log)