• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookies suitable for a wedding gift bag

twiggles

Hi everyone,

I'm getting married in a few months, and I was thinking of baking a couple different types of cookies and adding them to the 'hospitality bags' that I will be giving to our guests that are staying in a hotel overnight. I will probably need to bake these at least two days in advance. Does anyone have ideas for cookie recipes that are easy to bake, and will stay fresh and tasty for a few days? or perhaps i'm trying to be too ambitious before the big day? :rolleyes:

thanks very much!

I've found that shortbread in general keeps very well. Ina Garten has a great recipe for jam thumbprints that seem to keep for days and days!!! I think it's from her "Barefoot Contessa: Family Style" book.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Sugar cookies would be perfect. You can cut them in a variety of wedding shapes; bells, hearts, etc. and ice them with pastel coloured royal icing. Then you could finish them with an opal dust to make them really shine. :) You could freeze the undecorated cookies well in advance and then decorate them a week or two in advance. They should keep airtight at room temp for a couple weeks. Here's a link to pictures of Josette's cookies. She does such a beautiful job. I'm sure she would be able to help with some tips if you want to go this route.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Oooh, oooh! One of the most delicious things I ever tasted was a lavender-lemon shortbread cookie that was a wedding favor. YUM!!! I can't imagine they'd be too hard to make - probably just convert a basic lemon-shortbread recipe with a little culinary lavender. I'm sure one of the expert pastry chefs here could give us all a better hint of how to do that.

These were astonishingly delicious. And somehow very romantic. Lavender has all sorts of romantic meanings if IRRC.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I made rosemary icebox butter cookies for a wedding with 400 guests. They were super easy, rolled in demerara sugar before slicing & baking. If anyone's interested, pm me for the recipe.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Most cookies can be frozen after shaping and before baking. If properly wrapped (double-wrapped, airtight) the unbaked dough will keep for up to 2 months. So no need to stress yourself out.

I have recipes for excellent shortbread or buttery sugar cookies. If you would like them just pm me. Both cookies keep well for a week or more.

Congratulations on your future wedding! Hope you have a wonderful life together!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

ooops - forgot to say that you can dip the tops of the buttery sugar cookies in a nicely flavored dipping icing which dries to a shiny, smooth coating. It is beautiful. I can send you the recipe if you pm me.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Chocolate Sparklers might be an idea. The recipe says you can freeze the dough for 1 month and that they stay fresh for 3 - 5 days after baking. Here's a picture Patrick took while making them. I haven't made them yet but if Patrick says they're good it's a safe bet! :) Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I made sugar cookies as favors for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah (long thread elsewhere on this board) in June. Cookies were rolled and baked well in advance, wrapped well and frozen. Several days before, they were thawed, then decorated with royal icing. Once that dried well (overnight), each was put in a cellophane bag. They lasted great and looked great. Just be sure to make some extras to cover breakage.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I really liked these Cardamom Butter Squares from Gourmet. It's nice to have a slice and bake cookie when you are doing a lot at once... less stress! The chocolate and espresso icing looked really elegant!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/231217

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 4 years later...

Hello friend,

I have recipe of chewy chocolate chip cookies:

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 egg 1 egg yolk 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips Preheat oven to 325 F.

Cooking process:

Step 1:

Grease cookie sheets. Stir flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.

Step 2:

In a separate bowl, cream the melted butter, brown and white sugar together. Once these are well blended, add vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Beat until light and creamy. Step 3:

Mix in the bowl with the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until all ingredients are blended. Add chocolate chips and mix. Put the dough in the fridge for 30-45 minutes before spooning out.

Step 4:

Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto greased cookie sheets, leaving space between cookies (2-3 inches depending on size of dropped dough). Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges are lightly toasted. Cookies should be light brown when done.

I got this recipe from my friends wedding he also gifted cookies as a favor to his guest..After this he made up cookie plates ,wraped them in plastic and kept it in mini Purse Favor Bag decorated it with ribbons and Place Card Favor boxes, and had gifted it to his loved ones.Everyone liked it..

Especially I liked it and took recipe from him so that I can also add it in my wedding.

Regards,

Nelson

Edited by nelsonclassic (log)

We just had a family wedding, and I baked literally thousands of cookies. All of them stayed "fresh" for a few days as long as they were properly covered. My suggestion, however, would be to make different types of biscotti (you can dip some in chocolate if you'd like) and/or pizzelle. Stay away from cake-type cookies that will dry out faster and keep with "crisp" cookies.

My other suggestion is to bake them now and freeze them. I placed them in freezer bags and pressed out as much of the air as I could. Then I put them into small boxes and wrapped them in freezer wrap. Two days before the wedding is going to be very busy. Don't overload yourself. :)