• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me find this recipe

avocado

A few years ago, I was served an egg casserole with a custard-like texture. It was slightly sweet, probably contained cream cheese, and used at least a dozen eggs for a 9x13"-pan-sized recipe. It was smooth, no chunks, and I can't remember whether there was a crust-like component.

It was served with a strawberry sauce.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I tried googling it but I don't even know what it would be called.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

I haven't had anything like that...but I did google 'breakfast custard' and came up with several things that sound similar...you might try that.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I can think of a few things that it could have been based on your description of the custard-ish consistency.

blintz souffle or casserole (these can have cream cheese, cottage cheese, or pot cheese) and tend to be sweet and eggy.

strata or bread pudding (less likely since you didn't detect the texture of the bread)

jayne

When we owned a bed and breakfast I used to make a cheese blinz souffle that I served topped with a strawberry sauce and fresh/frozen peach slices on top. I believe this sounds a lot like what you have discribed. It doesn't have a crust per se but does get a little brown on top. Not too sweet but really rich. Was always very popular with our guests. We usually served it with bacon as the breakfast entree. Kay

Avocado,

This is the Cheese Blintz Souffle that we served at the inn.

Filling

1 lb ricotta or 1 lb small curd cottage cheese, drained

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia brand preferred)

2 large egg yolks

1 TBS. sugar

1 tsp. pure vanilla

Batter

1 1/2 cups sour cream (16 oz container)(Breakstone preferred)

1/2 cup orange juice

6 large eggs

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping

sour cream

apricot preserves

To make filling:mix all ingredients in a food processor or with an electric beater; set aside.

To make batter: gradually mix all batter ingredients in a blender adding in the order given. Pour 1/2 batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Drop the filling by the spoonful on top of the layer of batter. Gently spread the spoonfuls together over the batter. It will mix in a little but you don't want to mix the two layers together any more then necessary. Pour the rest of the batter over the filling. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 50-60 minutes. Casserole will be slightly puffed and golden in color. Set on a rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Souffle will fall while sitting. Cut in squares. Top each portion with a dollop of sour cream and preserves. Squares can also be topped by some strawberry sauce and finished with peach slices. Serves 10. Leftovers can be reheated gently in microwave oven set on low.

Hope you enjoy. Kay

From the original post, maybe it could have been a galactoboureko, which meets all the criteria listed. No remembrance of crust also fits--it's easy to forget the paper-thin whisper of phyllo which may have just melted away beneath.

That's the creamiest, eggiest sweet custard there is, with no lumps, and though there is usually no sauce, nothing says you can't serve it with one, strawberry or any other kind.