• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

death by chocolate...

reesek

we've got a neighborhood potluck tonight. i decided yesterday (slightly distracted) at work to make this. i scrawled down the ingredients and didn't think anything of it, except that it looked pretty good, easy and relatively fast.

as i was making the filling i noticed something a little odd: the recipe calls for 8 eggs to be blended with 1 cup of butter 1/4 cup of jam and 3/4 cup of sugar. to that (ugly, curdled mixture) is added the magic of 20 oz of cooled melted chocolate. then the (magically smooth and luscious) whole lot tops the chopped nut/sugar/butter crust and is chilled.

it looks gorgeous - the filling tastes wonderful - but 8 raw eggs?? is there enough sugar to make it ok? i know chocolate mousse (basically what this is) uses raw yolks, but it just seems like a lot.

i'm not that social, but i'm really not trying to kill anyone.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The chance of something like salmonellosis (GI infection by Salmonella) is real, but very small. Use the freshest eggs you can, and wash them before you crack them, and beyond that I wouldn't worry.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

You can also buy pasteurized eggs .  . .

Depending on where you live. They are not available where I live.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

or organic eggs will have the smallest chance of salmonella

Do you have a source for that? The research I've seen indicates that there is no difference in incidence of Salmonella infection between conventional poultry and organic/free range poultry. For instance:

There is no discernible difference in Salmonella levels between free-range, organically produced poultry and conventionally produced birds, an Agricultural Research Service  scientist has found.

ARS microbiologist J. Stan Bailey of the Poultry Microbiological Safety Research Unit at the Richard B. Russell Research Center in Athens, Ga., examined 110 processed free-range chickens from three organic producers and found that about 25 percent of the chickens tested positive for Salmonella. Chickens raised conventionally had about the same levels.

Thus, the decision to purchase free-range chickens shouldn't be based on the belief that such a chicken is microbiologically superior, according to Bailey.

"Free-Range" Chicken—No Guarantee It's Free of Salmonella

thanks to all for the replies.

i tried it and feel fine, so assuming i blended properly and am not more resilient than the average bear - i guess i'll just pray and let people know.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Salmonella is most often found in kitchen sinks and on countertops. It is spread most often by people who wipe their counters with sponges or wet rags. It is also found on the outside of eggshells (organic or not). Large amounts of sugar (and chocolate) will kill certain organisms for a period of time. I think your torte will be fine.

I like the suggestion of serving it, but letting people know. (That decreases their ability to sue for damages if they get sick :biggrin: )

How about a recipe review? It sounds wonderful!

Actually, salmonella can also pass through the shell and get inside as well - it's not always only on the outside.  However, that doesn't happen just all that often, but it's not entirely accurate to say salmonella is only found on the outside of the shell...

http://www.aeb.org/safety/egg_handling_and_care_guide.html

Thanks for the link! It was very informative. There are so many recipes out there that I want to try but have been fearful because of the raw eggs. Thanks for taking the edge off!

Actually, salmonella can also pass through the shell and get inside as well - it's not always only on the outside.  However, that doesn't happen just all that often, but it's not entirely accurate to say salmonella is only found on the outside of the shell...

http://www.aeb.org/safety/egg_handling_and_care_guide.html

Not that it matters for the purposes of this discussion, but Salmonella doesn't always have to pass through the shell to end up inside the eggs. If the bacterium is present in the ovaries, it can become incorporated into the egg before the shell ever forms.