• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm also on a mission to try and taste as many different laksa varieties as I can (without going to all the regions they are from).

There is a chain of outles called The Laksa Shack which has a variety of laksas (including the Sarawak laksa) . Although I must say that I have never tried it, because I am not too sure of the Halal staus (I am a Muslim). Maybe Shiewe knows more of this?

If you plan on visiting Putrajaya, let me know .... perhaps I can bring you around, if the schedule is right.

I'm also on a mission to try and taste as many different laksa varieties as I can (without going to all the regions they are from).

There is a chain of outles called The Laksa Shack which has a variety of laksas (including the Sarawak laksa) . Although I must say that I have never tried it, because I am not too sure of the Halal staus (I am a Muslim). Maybe Shiewe knows more of this?

If you plan on visiting Putrajaya, let me know .... perhaps I can bring you around, if the schedule is right.

Yes the greedy one :raz: here has tried the laksas at several of the Laksa Shacks and they're generally pretty decent for a fast food outlet kind of place - I particulary like their laksam, the Kelantanese version of laksa - it has flat rice noodles but thicker and spongier than the Chinese kuay teow / hor fun covered with thick mildly spicy fish and cocount gravy.

The Sarawak laksa is not bad, but there are better ones in town. I think the same goes for the Asam Laksa. But it's great if you're looking for a variety of laksas all at one place. If I remember correctly, I think there's just one laksa that isn't served at laksa shack - curry laksa - the one with chicken, cockles and tofu puffs.

JustKay - I think the Laksa Shack chain is halal - it's owned by a Malay lady.

Hubby is going to Kuching this week...I asked him to get some Sarawak Laksa paste back. Just sent you the latest Flavours issue; they have the Sarawak Laksa recipe inside. The paste will be properly packed...I'm sure you can get them through customs. :smile:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Thanks for all the laksa tips (and the paste). I'm still trying to straighten out all the variations. I've looked in a few books as well as this entry on the makansakan blog. So far I've only had Katong style laksa in Singapore and assam laksa in NYC (which I'm sure was lacking since we don't have all the same herbs here). I have a long ways to go...

When someone says laksa lemak are they referring to Singapore laksa or any laksa that has coconut milk in it? I'm getting the sense that not even Malaysians and Singaporeans can agree on everything laksa related.

I'm getting the sense that not even Malaysians and Singaporeans can agree on everything laksa related.

To me, Malaysians and Singaporeans are like squabbling siblings :laugh::biggrin::laugh: - we never agree on anything! It is pretty hard to find Malaysians without a Singaporean relative / friend and vice-versa as we were one country at one point in time.

When someone says laksa lemak are they referring to Singapore laksa or any laksa that has coconut milk in it?

What I know as laksa lemak is Siamese Laksa Lemak which is a fish and coconut milk based laksa.

In Singapore, Singapore Laksa is also known as Katong Laksa or laksa lemak, which to me, a KL-based Malaysian is Curry Laksa. There are other variations of this Curry Laksa / Katong Laksa / Laksa Lemak along the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia - there is Nyonya Laksa in Malacca and Curry Mee in Penang ... see you can't even get the Malaysians to agree on their laksas, whatmore Malaysians and Singaporeans :laugh:.

We can make it a laksa quest when you're in KL :raz:.

Forum manager? Should we split this thread into a separate Laksa one?

Shiewie....have you tried Suchan Deli's (the one in Section11) Thai Laksa? *dribble, dribble* Real lemak with the right sourness.... :wub: Don't go to the franchised one in Subang Parade, though.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah