• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No, I'm not going to go firebomb any places. :biggrin: Respond privately if you wish, but what's the best source for the "raw material" in Seattle? I've got to try searing/grilling this myself, I'm going to go bankrupt if I keep ordering it out.

I live near the Market--I wonder if DiLaurenti has it?

Thanks in advance!

Seattle Caviar carries it for $49.95 a pound. I go there about once every two months or so to pick some up. The lobes range from 1.25 to 1.75 pounds.

2922 Eastlake Ave East

Seattle Washington 98102

206 323-3005

Tell Betsy and Dale that the guy with the Vespa sent you. :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

If you want the real deal you have to mail order it from D'Artagnan, which is one of the best specialty meat vendors in New York.

D'Artagnan Foie Gras

They have domestic North American foie made from duck liver (Sonoma and Hudson Valley) as well as the real French stuff made from Goose liver.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Generally the goose foie gras imported from France was cheaper than even the Grade B American from D'Artagnan when I've bought it. I think there's more waste when you cook it, so keep that in mind.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I just called University Seafood and their A lobes are $57.98 and the Bs are $47.98.

As for ordering it elsewhere, at $20 to $25 shipping costs it ends up being the same when buying it locally. And the folks at Seattle Caviar will take as many out as you wish so you can choose the one you want. (They only sell grade A lobes.)

For price and selection I'll still cast my vote for Seattle Caviar. :biggrin:

Oh, and FWIW, grade B is going to be smaller and have more blood spots. It's good for searing only. You'll have a splotchy terrine or torchon if you attempt to make one with it.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

This is a useful thread. I went looking to buy a foie on Valentine's day, and Seattle Caviar was out. I did not know that there were other local purveyors. I ended up buying mail order from the Hudson Valley.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I know larry's and whole foods carries, and now I know university seafood carries it as well. However, they all sell it frozen. Seattle Caviar sells it fresh because they supply the area restaurants with it and have to have it available for use on a daily basis.

Why do I sound like a commercial for these people? :blink:

Drink!

I know larry's and whole foods carries, and now I know university seafood carries it as well. However, they all sell it frozen. Seattle Caviar sells it fresh because they supply the area restaurants with it and have to have it available for use on a daily basis.

Why do I sound like a commercial for these people?  :blink:

Larry's in Redmond often carries fresh foie gras. I don't remember the price offhand. Quality is mixed - if you get an unopened package that just arrived from their supplier, it's probably just as good as Seattle Caviar's. And apparently they'll break packages open and sell you smaller amounts. But the one time I bought a repackaged partial lobe from Larry's it was obviously well past its prime. Buyer beware...

Larry's in Redmond often carries fresh foie gras. I don't remember the price offhand.

I was out there yesterday buying their new 'smart chicken' and I noticed the foie gras in the case. $50/lb. I also noticed duck confit (but don't remember the price).